Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

Pollers in subsude's thread don't seem to think so, only by a few votes of course ;)

That's because of the rendering. Having a rendering out makes something far more real, and until a rendering comes out for Chevron, there will always be those who are skeptical that it will happen.

• Like 1

Kudos for Chevron for being a good corporate citizen. I'd hate to see Houston lose a ton of business to the suburbs, or, worse yet, unincorporated areas of the county... ahem, ExxonMobil.

It's unincorporated......for now. I bet dollars to donuts Houston is licking their chops waiting for this to be complete. Is there an off chance that when The Woodlands becomes a city that they could hop the county line to acquire the property?

I always thought that the "second Enron tower" looked like a love child from the "first Enron Building" and the old Exxon building. Enron's shape and glass. Exxon's overhangs and proportions/profile. Brilliant tribute to both. Lets hope whatever Chevron puts up makes as much sense and continues the thoughtful harmony. Regardless how tall it is.

But tall would be nice.

• Like 2

It's unincorporated......for now. I bet dollars to donuts Houston is licking their chops waiting for this to be complete. Is there an off chance that when The Woodlands becomes a city that they could hop the county line to acquire the property?

No, unless Houston allows it, which I very seriously doubt would happen. Houston essentially controls all of Harris County for incorporation/annexation purposes.

I don't think The Woodlands would be able to, even if they were a city.  It's in Houston's ETJ.

Oops.  Sorry I jumped the gun before noticing the question had already been answered.

Edited by Houston19514

Woodlands isn't going to become a city for a long time...maybe never. Once the truth came out how much it cost to be a city and provide city services, most residents decided that they were not that scared of Houston after all. Most are content to remain a village.

Woodlands isn't going to become a city for a long time...maybe never. Once the truth came out how much it cost to be a city and provide city services, most residents decided that they were not that scared of Houston after all. Most are content to remain a village.

THE Woodlands ;) lol

• Like 2

Nope, they've already earmarked the land for a future 4th tower.

How much room do they really need? If their long term plan calls for that large of a downtown expansion that would be incredible. I can only hope that is true and that they make it public. Exxon's campus has put the spotlight on The Woodlands and has caused a lot of companies to move that way, as well as expedited the Grand Parkway extension from 290 all the way to 59. That would be exciting for downtown and maybe they could sway some people to get some rail lines built to connect them with companies in Greenway and the Galleria.  

How much room do they really need? If their long term plan calls for that large of a downtown expansion that would be incredible. I can only hope that is true and that they make it public. Exxon's campus has put the spotlight on The Woodlands and has caused a lot of companies to move that way, as well as expedited the Grand Parkway extension from 290 all the way to 59. That would be exciting for downtown and maybe they could sway some people to get some rail lines built to connect them with companies in Greenway and the Galleria.  

well their san ramos HQ still house about 3k people, give or take...

More completely idle, baseless speculation to add to the above.

If there are plans for a fourth tower several years out - it makes sense on a couple of levels.   IF  the long-term plans are to move Chevron headquarters from San Ramon to Houston.   ( I read somewhere that Houston has 7000 employees,  San Ramon 3000 - before the transfer of the 800 that are being moved here).

In  the O&G business,   there are two big age clumps of employees.    A huge amount are older,  nearing retirement - these are the survivors left over from the 70's-80's boom years before the bust.     Then there are the huge amount of new hires in the last 5-8 years.      The cohorts in between are very thin,  because times sucked in the O&G industry and no one went in if they could avoid it in the late 80's through early 00's. 

So who is at San Ramon?    All the higher ups (i.e. old-timers) who don't want to move and have the power to block the move within the company.

But all these workers are nearing their RV purchasing age and planning their move to Del Webb communities in AZ and FL.    All that will be left will be the younger cohort which are not long-term established anywhere (or are already hired on in Houston) and more amenable to moving.

So I could see when the grumpy high-ranking old-timers start leaving,   any internal opposition will be reduced.   Plus if there are any promises to the city of San Ramon by Chevron (and I think there are)   a few years down the road,  they might have expired also,  or are cheap enough to buy out of.

Like I said - pure idle speculation.

More completely idle, baseless speculation to add to the above.

If there are plans for a fourth tower several years out - it makes sense on a couple of levels.   IF  the long-term plans are to move Chevron headquarters from San Ramon to Houston.   ( I read somewhere that Houston has 7000 employees,  San Ramon 3000 - before the transfer of the 800 that are being moved here).

In  the O&G business,   there are two big age clumps of employees.    A huge amount are older,  nearing retirement - these are the survivors left over from the 70's-80's boom years before the bust.     Then there are the huge amount of new hires in the last 5-8 years.      The cohorts in between are very thin,  because times sucked in the O&G industry and no one went in if they could avoid it in the late 80's through early 00's. 

So who is at San Ramon?    All the higher ups (i.e. old-timers) who don't want to move and have the power to block the move within the company.

But all these workers are nearing their RV purchasing age and planning their move to Del Webb communities in AZ and FL.    All that will be left will be the younger cohort which are not long-term established anywhere (or are already hired on in Houston) and more amenable to moving.

So I could see when the grumpy high-ranking old-timers start leaving,   any internal opposition will be reduced.   Plus if there are any promises to the city of San Ramon by Chevron (and I think there are)   a few years down the road,  they might have expired also,  or are cheap enough to buy out of.

Like I said - pure idle speculation.

More baseless, idle speculation, but if the above is true then there's probably going to be some lively debate within the Chevron rank and file about Houston vs the Bay Area. I work for a company based not far from San Ramon and most people there of all cohorts, but particularly the younger ones have a negative attitude towards Texas in general and don't really believe me when I tell them how diverse Houston is.

• 2 months later...