Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

<p>

A few notes:

• Chevron has delayed the start of this project for multiple reasons, one of them being to allow more time for the design.
  • The tower will get built, there have been 0 discussions regarding cancellation.
  • The height of the tower was increased shortly after the project was awarded to the GC. (they added two floors)
  • With the additional time for design there are discussions regarding the desired height for the tower, nothing is currently set in stone and anyone who throws out a height figure right now needs to understand that the height of the tower is FLEXIBLE with the start of construction pushed out.

Agreed. As for the last part, I realize the height could still change, I was just going to post the height that's on the current blue prints.

A few notes:

• Chevron has delayed the start of this project for multiple reasons, one of them being to allow more time for the design.
  • The tower will get built, there have been 0 discussions regarding cancellation.
  • The height of the tower was increased shortly after the project was awarded to the GC. (they added two floors)
  • With the additional time for design there are discussions regarding the desired height for the tower, nothing is currently set in stone and anyone who throws out a height figure right now needs to understand that the height of the tower is FLEXIBLE with the start of construction pushed out.

Delayed the start?  Until when?

I believe it was supposed to start in 2Q 2014 but now probably won't start till 3Q..?

Not sure that's true.   I don't think they ever explicitly stated when construction would start, but they did say that the "final investment decision" would not be made until 2Q 2014, with construction to start some time thereafter, and occupancy to begin in the 4th Q 2016.  It always seemed unlikely that construction would start before the 3rd Q.

Everybody chill. It's getting built. Who cares if it's not the new tallest? Even 700-800 feet is great. Houston has 2 supertalls already. I think we're good in that department for a few more years. Right now there's a lot of activity, lots of infill. Lots of depth. Great cities don't need supertalls to be great, look at Paris and Tokyo. Two of the very best in the world.

Doesn't take a year to redesign something like this.  Any firm would bust their "you know whats" to get a 50-60 floor tower finished and ready to go.  Not like they're reinventing the wheel.

What I find really odd is the timing on this announcement.  I will bet the folks who own Allen Center are working on all sorts of levels to keep their Chevron clients happy, and maybe even convince them to move additional resources into those recently announced "soon to be renovated" buildings.

• Like 1

Doesn't take a year to redesign something like this. Any firm would bust their "you know whats" to get a 50-60 floor tower finished and ready to go. Not like they're reinventing the wheel.

What I find really odd is the timing on this announcement. I will bet the folks who own Allen Center are working on all sorts of levels to keep their Chevron clients happy, and maybe even convince them to move additional resources into those recently announced "soon to be renovated" buildings.

Agreed.

Something seems fishy here.

• Like 1

Doesn't take a year to redesign something like this.  Any firm would bust their "you know whats" to get a 50-60 floor tower finished and ready to go.  Not like they're reinventing the wheel.

obviously, no one said it did. there's a number of reasons why this and other projects by chevron have been placed on the back burner.

^I was responding to someone who said the extra year will allow for a better design.  Usually when projects get "put on hold" it is due to money.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Even for a company as big and powerful as Chevron. Perhaps the money is better spent elsewhere now?  Maybe enough shareholders raised concerns that they don't need a new tower in Houston?  Or executives are rethinking if perhaps they wouldn't be better off doing something else?

I don't think we should read into this too much as being a downtown- or even Houston-specific issue. The word is that they planned other buildings in Pittsburgh and Bakersfield, and these have been delayed (but I don't think cancelled yet).

The expansion of their building in Louisiana, which was over capacity from when it was opened in 2008, has also been delayed.

• Like 1

they have frozen all projects in place , except for the mid land one( not just Houston but varies other cities) but
 They are still going thu with employee tranfers to Houston, and stated they are still bulking of their employee work force in Houston, so the tranfers are still happening.

what it sounds like to me is that they may have signed a tenet deal with one of the new towers planned. Why else would they freeze the building , but state they will go ahead witht he employee transfers
ratepost.png

they have frozen all projects in place , except for the mid land one( not just Houston but varies other cities) but

They are still going thu with employee tranfers to Houston, and stated they are still bulking of their employee work force in Houston, so the tranfers are still happening.

what it sounds like to me is that they may have signed a tenet deal with one of the new towers planned. Why else would they freeze the building , but state they will go ahead witht he employee transfers

ratepost.png

hmm.  If I were Shorenstein, I'd be trying to entice them over to Bell St.

• Like 1