Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

H-Town Man your story of the Chevron CEO telling you of the construction in a secret location in the Arctic, then flying the building in to Houston is totally believable. However, I gotta call BS on the playing golf this morning part. There's no way you could have made it to the golf course........ with all the traffic and all.

Congrats on your first post and welcome to the forum. John S. Watson and I both live in Eastwood so it was only a walk to the golf course.

Anybody else think the first and only rendering we've seen is cheesy at best? Somebody said they saw more updated, realistic renderings! Please elaborate!!!! :)

Chevron building gonna go away if you keep complaining about the renderings. Only complete faith in the unseen will bring Chevron building.

its-the-great-pumpkin_thumb%25255B1%2525

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

H-Town Man your story of the Chevron CEO telling you of the construction in a secret location in the Arctic, then flying the building in to Houston is totally believable. However, I gotta call BS on the playing golf this morning part. There's no way you could have made it to the golf course........ with all the traffic and all.

I find this, if not sarcastic, then totally unreasonable.

I have been accused of being unreasonable a time or two in my lifetime. However, my comment in post #447 was an attempt at subtle humor, with the use of both conspicuous and inconspicuous sarcasm. The conspicuous sarcasm is obvious since H-Town Man's comments were comically absurd. The reference to Houston's reputed traffic would be the part that was inconspicuous since my comment indicated I didn't have a problem with the absurd assertion but chose instead to challenge his ability to get to the golf course due to traffic, on a morning that Houston was also inundated by heavy rainfall and strong winds.

I have been accused of being unreasonable a time or two in my lifetime. However, my comment in post #447 was an attempt at subtle humor, with the use of both conspicuous and inconspicuous sarcasm. The conspicuous sarcasm is obvious since H-Town Man's comments were comically absurd. The reference to Houston's reputed traffic would be the part that was inconspicuous since my comment indicated I didn't have a problem with the absurd assertion but chose instead to challenge his ability to get to the golf course due to traffic, on a morning that Houston was also inundated by heavy rainfall and strong winds.

oops

oops

No worries. Your comment was understandable.

The renderings that I have seen look really good, unfortunately it is very unlikely that you will get to see them before chevron wants which could easily be mid 2014......

Can you give us any sort of detail? Is it just a vertical tube with little detail to the curtain wall?

I am not an architect so let me try to describe this thing....

The tower has to vertical setbacks on two sides of the building.  All four faces of the building have a slight curve to them (there are no straight sections).

The coolest feature IMO is that the tower is smaller at the bottom.  The lower few levels (i think its 1-3) are setback from the upper floors by 10-15 feet.  There is a gentle slope up which will give a very cool view from the ground.  Seeing 49 floors cantilevered above your head should be pretty cool.

The podium portion of the tower will be crazy cool.  It seems like this section is still in flux but everything that I have seen is awesome.

• Like 4

If they're going to be up there at 800+ feet, may as well really create a stir by the ornamental top to make it the city's tallest!  Maybe something like this building from China, but with the Chevron logo projected onto it (like how Continental used to do)

dotclear.gifdotclear.gifhttp://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=50

Would the sloped cantilever look like a muted version of this?  Maybe without the fat base?

64907500201205241425394121189019303_000.

Edited by King Owl

I am not an architect so let me try to describe this thing....

The tower has to vertical setbacks on two sides of the building. All four faces of the building have a slight curve to them (there are no straight sections).

The coolest feature IMO is that the tower is smaller at the bottom. The lower few levels (i think its 1-3) are setback from the upper floors by 10-15 feet. There is a gentle slope up which will give a very cool view from the ground. Seeing 49 floors cantilevered above your head should be pretty cool.

The podium portion of the tower will be crazy cool. It seems like this section is still in flux but everything that I have seen is awesome.

Is this a description of the same building in the rendering already made public?

If they're going to be up there at 800+ feet, may as well really create a stir by the ornamental top to make it the city's tallest!  Maybe something like this building from China, but with the Chevron logo projected onto it (like how Continental used to do)

dotclear.gifdotclear.gifhttp://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=50

Would the sloped cantilever look like a muted version of this?  Maybe without the fat base?

64907500201205241425394121189019303_000.

I am not sure modeling a Houston tower after one in China would be a good thing. I say this in consideration of the subpar standards of quality they appear to embrace.

Just to play devil's advocate: where do you "see" subpar Chinese standards of quality?  Isn't China shipping over American engineers and architects?  I think, at minimum, we can be inspired by the creativity of the vanity structures the Chinese are building............

• Like 2

I am not sure modeling a Houston tower after one in China would be a good thing. I say this in consideration of the subpar standards of quality they appear to embrace.

You clearly don't understand how China's cities are built.  They're not designed by Chinese architects.  They're designed by American and European architects.

• Like 2