Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

down with arche_757 and his fearmongering!

that said, your friend is likely referring to ChevronPhillips who currently has something like 200K SF in the woodlands, i believe took an additional 50K in either hughes landing or research forest and is rumored to be considering a 200-300K sf build-to-suit in the area.

chevron is committed to downtown houston for a very long time - trust that much to be true.

• Like 2

They have already added to the scope previously discussed here. If anything happens to this building it will only get taller.

Is there a possibility that it will get taller? I don't want to blow this out of proportion like the rest of the thread has just because someone mentioned that Chevron(Phillips) might have a BTS near Exxon, but that would be pretty sweet if true. Regardless, this tower is awesome and the fact that a 2nd one might be in the works nearby is good enough for me.

Edited by ClutchCity

This tower is DEFINITELY happening. Why is this even being debated?

Source: my father is a Chevron VP.

We're past that. People misunderstood a post. Separate from the tower, a Chevron company has shown interest and possibly has plans for property in The Woodlands or north of The Woodlands.

• Like 1

No one misunderstood arche_757's comments.  He/she was pretty clear in saying exactly what they meant - that Chevron could "go either way" - as in possibly not doing the downtown tower in favor of a Woodlands campus. So yeah they invited scrutiny of those speculative comments based on a silly rumor they supposedly heard from a "friend".

Chevron is indeed moving forward with this tower. I think you guys will like the design even more once new renderings are released. As to Arche, I would say that you should gather more information from your friend before spreading a rumor that's incorrect. I understand why others here are getting worked up, this is something pretty big for downtown. 

Have you seen the new renderings?  Can you provide us any description?  I was one of those who were most disappointed by the initial rendering...

ChevronPhillips is a chemical company, not to be confused with the former ConocoPhillips.  ChevronPhillips is headquartered in the Woodlands.  

Correct but just to clarify, ConocoPhillips split into Conoco (upstream) and Phillips66 (downstream) last year. ChevronPhillips (CP Chem) is a joint venture between Chevron's and Phillips' chemical divisions and has been around for over a decade (a few years before Conoco and Phillips originally merged).

No one misunderstood arche_757's comments.  He/she was pretty clear in saying exactly what they meant - that Chevron could "go either way" - as in possibly not doing the downtown tower in favor of a Woodlands campus. So yeah they invited scrutiny of those speculative comments based on a silly rumor they supposedly heard from a "friend".

I hardly find it silly.  My source is an architect who is working on a large corporate campus in town - his boss told him about it, and he told me.  So I guess since I'm third down the pike it can be easily misunderstood?  I didn't mean to cause so many people heart attacks about this project.

However, I did not ever say the tower was cancelled - far from it.  I said that in my opinion "If Chevron decides to build a very large campus up north in the Woodlands then they may rethink their idea about a tower in downtown"  That's it.  I never said I heard from someone they are building the campus, and not the tower.  I only said "They are possibly building a campus up near the woodlands.  And that maybe they will rethink the tower" & "it could go either way" - again that was me interjecting my opinion into a statement.

I'm really at a loss how to make that more clear?  And I'm a "he" as my profile states.

I'm a pessimist by nature.  And that is quite common being an architect - you have no idea just how many projects that sound great and would be a huge addition to the city that come along and never even make it out of the office to a media source.  Very few.  And of those that do make it - how often do we see them cancelled?  Often.  So in my professional experience I have found that until a contractor is moving dirt and work is actually underway a project is not a go in this town.  That is what I was alluding to in my opinionated post.  I have to see it to believe it.

Correct but just to clarify, ConocoPhillips split into Conoco (upstream) and Phillips66 (downstream) last year. ChevronPhillips (CP Chem) is a joint venture between Chevron's and Phillips' chemical divisions and has been around for over a decade (a few years before Conoco and Phillips originally merged).

To clarify your clarification ;-)   

The upstream portion of the former ConocoPhillips is actually still named "ConocoPhillips", not "Conoco."

So we now have:

ConocoPhillips (an independent e&p company)

Phillips 66 (a refining, marketing & pipeline company)

Chevron (an integerated super major)

Chevron Phillips (a chemical company)

To clarify your clarification ;-)   

The upstream portion of the former ConocoPhillips is actually still named "ConocoPhillips", not "Conoco."

So we now have:

ConocoPhillips (an independent e&p company)

Phillips 66 (a refining, marketing & pipeline company)

Chevron (an integerated super major)

Chevron Phillips (a chemical company)

Correct (and your space between Chevron Phillips is correct as well).  Now we can get back to name dropping about how some executive at Chevron allegedly told X that this was a for sure deal in downtown.  

• Like 1

How certain is this info?

How certain? I'll tell you how certain. I was just playing golf this morning with John S. Watson, whom you may know as the CEO of Chevron, over at the Gus Wortham, and he was laughing about all the doubting on this forum, where he is a longtime lurker. Says not only is this a done deal, but the building is actually already being constructed as we speak in a top-secret location in the Arctic, and will be flown into Houston by helicopter already finished next May as a big surprise and thank you to Houston for being such a great city. And hanging from the building will be a giant banner that says "Houston, the Eagle Has Landed - New Chevron Corporate HQ!"

• Like 7

BUT - he added one caveat. He said he doesn't like to hear that some of us have been doubting this. We must drive the doubters from our midst. Chevron doesn't want to put its new building in a city of doubters. Chevron building will only come to the city that is most sincere. One false word and it could fly back and land in San Ramon.

• Like 2

H-Town Man your story of the Chevron CEO telling you of the construction in a secret location in the Arctic, then flying the building in to Houston is totally believable. However, I gotta call BS on the playing golf this morning part. There's no way you could have made it to the golf course........ with all the traffic and all.

• Like 3