Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

@ livincinco:

My point is that the 'damage' that a really ugly attention grabbing decorative crown on a very tall downtown building could make the downtown Houston skyline less beautiful and also that not all crowns are beautiful. Some are beautiful. If downtown Houston gets lucky enough to get a another beautiful one I will be very happy. But don't assume that just any building with a decorative crown is automatically going to be better than a boring flat roofed box. A bad over the top design is way worse than a little too simple boring design -IMO. At least people don't notice boring buildings as much and its boringness is usually just confined to itself. But something that commands undesirable attention is way worse. It hurts everything around it because it draws the eye to it.

I never said or suggested that an ugly crown would hurt business or new construction. This is simply about aesthetics and of course it is personal taste. BTW, just about every post on this thread is about personal taste - and making sure that everyone is thoroughly aware of his or her opinion. Remember all those posts from the same people about how boring the new Chevron tower is going to be? There are a lot.

I don't care about the Memorial area, they can build as many hideous, pointy crowns as they want out there. I was only using it as an example to make my point. They don't have a world class skyline to protect, like downtown Houston does. 

Edited by Hugh Stone
  • Like 3

@ livincinco:

My point is that the 'damage' that a really ugly attention grabbing decorative crown on a very tall downtown building could make the downtown Houston skyline less beautiful and also that not all crowns are beautiful. Some are beautiful. If downtown Houston gets lucky enough to get a another beautiful one I will be very happy. But don't assume that just any building with a decorative crown is automatically going to be better than a boring flat roofed box. A bad over the top design is way worse than a little too simple boring design -IMO. At least people don't notice boring buildings as much and its boringness is usually just confined to itself. But something that commands undesirable attention is way worse. It hurts everything around it because it draws the eye to it.

I never said or suggested that an ugly crown would hurt business or new construction. This is simply about aesthetics and of course it is personal taste. BTW, just about every post on this thread is about personal taste - and making sure that everyone is thoroughly aware of his or her opinion. Remember all those posts from the same people about how boring the new Chevron tower is going to be? There are a lot.

I don't care about the Memorial area, they can build as many hideous, pointy crowns as they want out there. I was only using it as an example to make my point. They don't have a world class skyline to protect, like downtown Houston does. 

agreed......and it took awhile, but i just got your name.  i was thinking, i agree with this "stone" guy.  i had a neighbor named hugh once.....and then ohhhhhhhh.  i'm a little slow.

• 2 weeks later...

wasnt Chevron the ones that stated the 1st (edit, its 2nd) quarter 2014 starting date? it doesnt look like there is much more to the design than the renderings show? look how detailed the podium looks. seems like they have a few things designed already?

Edited by cloud713

wasnt Chevron the ones that stated the 1st quarter 2014 starting date? it doesnt look like there is much more to the design than the renderings show? look how detailed the podium looks. seems like they have a few things designed already?

Construction is expected to begin after the second quarter of next year.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/07/chevron-to-build-downtown-tower/

Excellent! I am so stoked that DT is getting some plus 30 storey towers. Still crossing fingers for a 1000 plus footer but won't complain. But also know realistically that if the five or so office towers that may be going up are the major energy companies, we may have a very long wait before an 80 or more storey tower goes up DT.

The building is around 830 ft tall.

very cool, thanks for the info. thats the first time ive heard a solid number.

Sweet.  This will be our first 800 footer.  (800'-899')

i was thinking the same when i first realized this would be at least 800' tall. its about time.. it will be the first building over 800' in Texas since 1985.

it will be the 6th tallest building in the state.

Edited by cloud713