Chevron Houston Marathon 2013

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Commercial boulevards will replace neighborhood streets on the new race courses unveiled Wednesday by the Houston Marathon Committee.  The new route eliminates the north portion of the races in the Heights and adds 2 miles on Kirby.

"It's a 'good news, good news' situation as far as I'm concerned, Mayor Annise Parker said Wednesday.

When contacted about the course change Fifth Ward elected representative Ed Gonzalez seemed unaware his district included part of the former route stating “The new light rail line is set to bring growth and prosperity to our district and joggers are welcome, during daylight hours.”

Parker went on to say “the new route on Washington Avenue takes full advantage of our new parking law, plus the race gets to the all-important Rice University area a full hour earlier.”

Bellaire elected representative Ellen Cohen whose district also includes a nub of the Greater Heights agreed with Parker stating “It’s a win-win for sure.  Washington Avenue is actually very peaceful that time of day and the service staffs can now watch the race after work rather than at home.  And I am sure my Christian friends in the Heights will appreciate an easier ride to church that Sunday.”

Calls seeking comment were not returned from the Houston Heights Association, of course, but the Woodland Heights Civic Association issued this statement: “First she pulls the plug on Lights in the Heights law enforcement support, then the City attorney ceases enforcement of deed restrictions, what’s next, bi-weekly trash pick-up?” 

Houston Solid Waste Management Director Harry J. Hayes responded saying “Miss Parker told me say nothing about that, so that's what I have to say, nothing.”

Commercial boulevards will replace neighborhood streets on the new race courses unveiled Wednesday by the Houston Marathon Committee.  The new route eliminates the north portion of the races in the Heights and adds 2 miles on Kirby.

"It's a 'good news, good news' situation as far as I'm concerned, Mayor Annise Parker said Wednesday.

When contacted about the course change Fifth Ward elected representative Ed Gonzalez seemed unaware his district included part of the former route stating “The new light rail line is set to bring growth and prosperity to our district and joggers are welcome, during daylight hours.”

Parker went on to say “the new route on Washington Avenue takes full advantage of our new parking law, plus the race gets to the all-important Rice University area a full hour earlier.”

Bellaire elected representative Ellen Cohen whose district also includes a nub of the Greater Heights agreed with Parker stating “It’s a win-win for sure.  Washington Avenue is actually very peaceful that time of day and the service staffs can now watch the race after work rather than at home.  And I am sure my Christian friends in the Heights will appreciate an easier ride to church that Sunday.”

Calls seeking comment were not returned from the Houston Heights Association, of course, but the Woodland Heights Civic Association issued this statement: “First she pulls the plug on Lights in the Heights law enforcement support, then the City attorney ceases enforcement of deed restrictions, what’s next, bi-weekly trash pick-up?” 

Houston Solid Waste Management Director Harry J. Hayes responded saying “Miss Parker told me say nothing about that, so that's what I have to say, nothing.”

This is a fake news story with a few clips from the real news.  A new low in HAIF/Heights.  What is true is that the marathon had no choice due to the planned demolition of the Elysian viaduct and the construction of the Finger apartments next to the ball park (the old marathon/half marathon start line will straddle the new apartments and completely cut off access for hours).  There is no way to get runners up to the Heights given the changes downtown.  I have talked with people involved in the decision and they tried everything possible to find a way to get runners up to the Heights, but it was impossible with the changes in downtown.  The marathon committe knows that both runners and spectators have loved the section of the Heights on the marathon route and realize that the new route will not be as spectator friendly and will not be as interesting for the runners.

On the other hand, the new route does solve a few big problems the old route presented.  The viaduct was a squeeze point that forced the marathon to cap the number of participants, have a lottery for spots and to have a two waive start.  The new start will keep runners on four lanes in downtown for longer and will merge the half and full on Washington Ave, which is a total of five lanes near downtown.  This may allow the marathon to let in more participants.  It also gets rid of the u-turn on Montrose for the half marathon.  The marathon committee wants a world record attempt in the half (the pacers were ordered to go out at WR pace last year, but the weather and the u-turn made the course too slow).  The new course takes out the hills on the viaduct and under I-10.  It will now definitely be a potential WR half marathon course.

This is a fake news story with a few clips from the real news.  A new low in HAIF/Heights......

It’s true, liberals really have no sense of humor : …  “What’s especially striking is the elitism inherent in the outrage: “We’re smart enough to know that this is satire, but most Americans [Heightstonians] are too dumb to figure it out.”

It’s true, liberals really have no sense of humor : …  “What’s especially striking is the elitism inherent in the outrage: “We’re smart enough to know that this is satire, but most Americans [Heightstonians] are too dumb to figure it out.”

I knew it was a lame attempt at satire.  But, there are still a few people who come on to this message board who are not aware of the never ending anti-Parker/anti-all things Heights meme.  Those folks would not get the stupid inside jokes and might actually believe that the fake story was true. 

And it takes intelligence to do good satire.  The loss of the marathon route is a big disappointment for folks in the Heights and a terrible subject for satire. 

.......The loss of the marathon route is...a terrible subject for satire. 

Especially for the elitist, humorless liberals who grow tired of interpreting these complicated communication techniques for the unwashed in the Heights.

The haif declines continues.  I stopped following this site a while back but thought I'd check back in... same old people with the same old chips on their shoulders, fighting back and forth for no reason, and no one else even cares.  This grew tiresome for the vast majority of people a long time ago, but a couple of really bored people seem to still have nothing better to do that troll around and argue on haif all day.  Sad...

The haif declines continues.  I stopped following this site a while back but thought I'd check back in... same old people with the same old chips on their shoulders, fighting back and forth for no reason, and no one else even cares.  This grew tiresome for the vast majority of people a long time ago, but a couple of really bored people seem to still have nothing better to do that troll around and argue on haif all day.  Sad...

not true...  some people only troll occasionally...  (ex. your post)

It kills a few minutes of lunch and takes me back to high school; so there is still some value here I guess.   After checking this forum, I like to ready the chron comments.  People sitting at their computer making a real difference on society.

My favorite type of post..."I used to post here, but then I realized that you all suck, so I no longer post here. I see that you all still suck, so I will continue not posting here. See you later." Thanks for stopping by.

:D

The truth hurts.

The truth hurts.

Either that or I hurt his feelings several years back, and he ran away. At least you come back and dish it again. I respect one who also takes what he dishes. I pit those who run away and refuse to stand up for themselves.

Don't fall for the Elysian demolition BS spewn about on the interweb, even the key political players in the re-route are careful when mentioning that Project.  Engineering is not done, and all cost and schedule estimates will change based on the fnal engineering estimates, and it doesn't get faster or cheaper.  The bums on Washington will probably see two marathons before that demolition:

Elysian Aqueduct Project Detail

It kills a few minutes of lunch and takes me back to high school; so there is still some value here I guess.   After checking this forum, I like to ready the chron comments.  People sitting at their computer making a real difference on society.

So less than an hour after your last post, you decide to post again? LOL

Well okay, I have to say that I fondly remember the experience my wife & I had back in 2005 as we ran our first (and only) Houston marathon. Our goal was to complete a marathon before we turned 50 & we were successful that year. A big part of our success was the enthusiastic support we received as we passed through the Heights in the first 5 miles of our run. It was great to get that hometown support.

We moved to the Heights about this time last year and love it here. Our memories of the support we received here in 2005 led us to volunteer at the 5-mile refueling station along Studewood. Frankly it was one of the best moments of my life. Yes, it was wet & very cold that morning / we couldn't fill enough water cups in the stiff breeze. But I'll never forget the thanks we were given by the massive flood of runners. Have to say I'm not familiar with the new route but I hope they've found new support on the new route. If you've abandoned the Heights you've abandoned me.

Don't fall for the Elysian demolition BS spewn about on the interweb, even the key political players in the re-route are careful when mentioning that Project. Engineering is not done, and all cost and schedule estimates will change based on the fnal engineering estimates, and it doesn't get faster or cheaper. The bums on Washington will probably see two marathons before that demolition:

Elysian Aqueduct Project Detail

When you invite over twenty thousand people to a race and put up almost 300k in prize money, you do not leave in any margin of error when it comes to the race course. Also, the marathon has been looking for years for an alternative to the viaduct. It is a bad choke point on the course that prevents mid pack runners from holding their pace as many are forced to slow due to the congestion. It is also an accident waiting to happen. People run on the sidewalk on the viaduct to try to pass slower runners. But the guard rail is only about knee high. A trip could easily send someone over the railing to their death.

And the viaduct isn't the only reason to move the start. The Finger apartments will be under construction at the old start line next year and completed the year after. The start lines for the half and full will completely block access to the apartments. Public safety won't permit the start area once the apartments are finished. And then there is the Metro east end line. It will be finished on Capitol Ave and will have its tracks right in the middle of both start corrals. Metro does not want to have the marathon start on its tracks. The marathon committee does not want to have about ten thousand people encounter a tripping hazard as they shuffle there way through the start corral to the starting line in the dim light just before dawn.

The new course also gets rid of the u-turn on Montrose for the half marathon. When the roads are wet, the u-turn is a tripping hazard for runners and really slows down the elites (try doing a u-turn when running 13 mph). The organizers want a half marathon WR and needed to get rid of the u turn.

Lastly, the old route was designed for a race about half the size of the current race. For safety reasons the organizers have had to cap the number of entries and hold a lottery for spots. This has not been popular with participants. The new course will have a single start line and have runners on four lanes for the first few miles instead of going from four to two lanes within barely a half mile from the start. This should allow the event to grow to 30k plus runners.

So your claim that Mayor Parker changed the route just to screw the Heights is demonstrably false. The changes have been in the works for years and for multiple reasons. Your aluminum foil hat theories about Mayor Parket will have to wait for another day.

I have no doubt that if Parker wanted the Heights in this race, it would be, and it would be safe and efficient. Only a damn fool would believe they can't get runners through this gigantic swath of near-town. This was the time to make radical route changes to do it, but she would have to want to do it first. I'm with Mako, done with Marathon after 15 years volunteering, done with Parker after this (and likely not the last) hose job.

I still believe you get what you vote, entitled or not.  Until the Greater Heights pulls together and votes together we don't get anything much less our property rights.  Right now Parker is a slam dunk in November and when that happens, we just as well get ready for bi-weekly trash pick-up (to the humorless elites out there, pull your fingers back, take a deep breath, I was NOT serious).  If we really want to take back control of our neighborhood, let's pull together now, start the get-out-the-vote drives now.  Nothing pulls people together like a common enemy, and I think we have one.

Actually, I would be fine with bi-weekly trash pickup, but I suppose those with large families and those who consume way more than they admit to might have a problem with it. I often skip the weekly pickup because I only have one bag of trash.

I still believe you get what you vote, entitled or not.  Until the Greater Heights pulls together and votes together we don't get anything much less our property rights.  Right now Parker is a slam dunk in November and when that happens, we just as well get ready for bi-weekly trash pick-up (to the humorless elites out there, pull your fingers back, take a deep breath, I was NOT serious).  If we really want to take back control of our neighborhood, let's pull together now, start the get-out-the-vote drives now.  Nothing pulls people together like a common enemy, and I think we have one.

??

What has Ben Hall promised to do for The Heights?

Archived