Houston Low in Hipster Factor

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston, you can leave your plaid shirts and skinny jeans at home. Our dear city was just ranked as one of the least hipster cities in the country.

The folks over at national real estate firm Movoto came out with the list, ranking the nation's biggest metro areas on their 'hipster factor.' According to the list, hipsters love cities where it's easy to walk to every place they need to go.

There also needs to be a lot of dive bars, vintage stores and vegetarian restaurants. And hipsters flock to cities with so-called 'artsy jobs.'

Less than seven percent of Houston's work force falls in that category. So Houston's ranked as the fifth least hipster city, behind Oklahoma City, Fort Worth, Jacksonville and El Paso, the least hipster city in the USA.

But we should point out not all of Houston is anti-hipster. The Montrose-Midtown area recently ranked 20th on Forbes' list for the nation's most hipster neighborhoods, specifically pointing out all the thrift shops and antique stores along lower Westheimer.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9022695

houston's cool factor for me has always been that it is anti-hip. if you're all style and no substance, we no likey!  if you dress like a slob and are uber-intelligent or artistic, we likey!  if you are a self-made millionaire; we get it if you drive an 25 year old impala.  we like contradictions.  we like it when your money and the things it buys do not define you.  we like it when having no money doesn't define you either; you still look like a million bucks (from buffalo exchange or homemade clothes).  houstonians, at least my favorite houstonians, like what they like, peer pressure or social constructs be damned.

at the lunar and planetary institute's annual shindig in the woodlands last week, i overheard one of the attendees say "houston's hot right now".  i felt a little proud and then a little worried.

a recent article in texas monthly said something along the lines of: houston is a first rate city and just doesn't know it (the writer then slams dallas for not knowing it has always been a second rate city thinking too highly of itself).  ....after some research, i realize i shouldn't try to remember things.

"If I were to anatomize the six major cities more or less in order of urban merit, I would now put Houston first by a large margin: it’s a great city. Next would come Austin and Fort Worth. The latter has those three world-class museums, plus that glorious livestock exchange building over by the Stockyards, and Austin has a music scene that has nurtured both my son, James, and my grandson, Curtis, not to mention the ebullient Kinky Friedman and many another gifted bard. Dallas I haven’t enjoyed since the sixties, when I could still scout books at the Harper’s big bookshop in Deep Ellum, where my son now often performs. Dallas is a second-rate city that wishes it were first-rate."  http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/horsemen-goodbye

i'm afraid if houston becomes too self-aware, and it may already be too late, we are doomed to the unfounded pride of our brethren to the north. 

I don't like all the hipster hate, frankly. I think a lot of supposed hipster culture makes a lot of sense. Don't like skinny jeans? Skinny jeans are great for not getting your pants leg caught in a spoke when you're riding a bike.

I don't hate hipsters. I find them amusing. Let's face it, working that hard to appear like one doesn't care is quite ironic...and amusing. But, hate? No, that is too strong.

Now, FOODIES. Yeah, I hate them. Oh, and those fake liberals that are uber consumers, but cover up for it by hating Walmart.

Since I'm a libertarian, I'll assume that wasn't directed at me. I don't see how hating Walmart is relevant to political leanings, though. Even people who believe in an unrestricted free market don't have to like all the players in that market.

No topic hijacking please.

Personally, I don't buy off on the idea of the economic value of "hipsters", although I do concede they might bring some reputational value, at least to large metro areas.  Maybe Houston can have an outreach program. 

houston's cool factor for me has always been that it is anti-hip. if you're all style and no substance, we no likey!  if you dress like a slob and are uber-intelligent or artistic, we likey!  if you are a self-made millionaire; we get it if you drive an 25 year old impala.  we like contradictions.  we like it when your money and the things it buys do not define you.  we like it when having no money doesn't define you either; you still look like a million bucks (from buffalo exchange or homemade clothes).  houstonians, at least my favorite houstonians, like what they like, peer pressure or social constructs be damned.

at the lunar and planetary institute's annual shindig in the woodlands last week, i overheard one of the attendees say "houston's hot right now".  i felt a little proud and then a little worried.

a recent article in texas monthly said something along the lines of: houston is a first rate city and just doesn't know it (the writer then slams dallas for not knowing it has always been a second rate city thinking too highly of itself).  ....after some research, i realize i shouldn't try to remember things.

"If I were to anatomize the six major cities more or less in order of urban merit, I would now put Houston first by a large margin: it’s a great city. Next would come Austin and Fort Worth. The latter has those three world-class museums, plus that glorious livestock exchange building over by the Stockyards, and Austin has a music scene that has nurtured both my son, James, and my grandson, Curtis, not to mention the ebullient Kinky Friedman and many another gifted bard. Dallas I haven’t enjoyed since the sixties, when I could still scout books at the Harper’s big bookshop in Deep Ellum, where my son now often performs. Dallas is a second-rate city that wishes it were first-rate."  http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/horsemen-goodbye

i'm afraid if houston becomes too self-aware, and it may already be too late, we are doomed to the unfounded pride of our brethren to the north. 

I'm not worried about Houstonians boasting, frankly we've always done it, and for good reason. This town is great. What worries me is that people are going to start taking our boasting seriously and start moving here with their own ideals of how Houston is nice, bu could be better if only some things were changed, which ironically, were the things that we boasted made Houston so great.

I don't like all the hipster hate, frankly. I think a lot of supposed hipster culture makes a lot of sense. Don't like skinny jeans? Skinny jeans are great for not getting your pants leg caught in a spoke when you're riding a bike.

Just as with any culture, there are subcultures to even hipsters. I think one of these subcultures of hipsters is what makes them so hated by all. 

It's the not the hipster that hangs out in coffee houses and smokes parliaments, or rolls bugler, and wears second hand clothing because it's cheap, or bought a bike on craigslist and converted it to a singlespeed because it's cheaper than buying parts to fix the derailleurs.

It's the hate filled hipster that thumbs his nose at anything that isn't hipster, looks at a bicycle that isn't a fixie and calls it crap for whatever reason, and ironically couldn't be any less hipster despite having some sunglasses with neon colored frames.

They're certainly the minority, but they're also the most annoying, and so get more attention. They're also the same group who will pay attention to articles like this and decide that Houston sucks, while the real hipsters merrily ignore some writer's opinion and continue to enjoy Houston for what it does offer.

Archived