Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

It could very well be 5k, but the markers say 1, 2, 3. Maybe they know that 5k and long distance runners would know that 3 miles is close to 5k and they can use that for running.

I dn't always use Memorial Park because when I can go it is when everyone else is there and it gets a little crowded. I've started using White Oak Bayou from 11th street heading north and then back. That trail goes on forever past I-610.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
.... but we all knew this anyhow. We're 6th best in the states.

Link

If you look at their criteria, I don't see how NOLA beats Houston...

Rankings for the ten best restaurant cities in the U.S. were based on:

1. Overall number of restaurants above the fast food level.

2. Number of fine dining restaurants with national and international standing.

3. Solid representation of regional American food.

4. A wide segment of second-tier restaurants that would include seafood, steakhouses, and independently chef-owned restaurants.

5. Breadth and depth of ethnic restaurants, especially if the city has neighborhood such as a Chinatown.

6. A significant number of neigborhood restaurants where the locals tend to eat out regularly.

7. A well-traveled clientele that regards eating out in that city one of the real pleasures of going there.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

They are indeed building a new bridge to connect the jogging trail to the south side of the park. There are going to be new parking lots (which is sorely needed), new trails, and a "running center" built over there to try and alleviate some of the awful congestion around the jogging loop and tennis courts. I can't wait for it to be finished, personally.

• Like 1

Parking is sorely needed but I hate the idea of losing more of the natural woods on the South side of Memorial Drive for a surface lot and even more trails. I wish we'd spend the money and do it right by burying the parking underneath the playing fields similar to Discovery Green or even the Boston Common (parking is under the tennis courts/softball fields).

Cool thanks for the info. Memorial park is long due for an upgrade. I saw a jogger almost get killed by a stray hubcap the other day. They need to put a nice fence up against memorial.

I skip running the Memorial side. I tend to start at one light and run the U and then turn back. Gives me a nice 4 mile jog. Plus, I get to miss the HUGE incline hill :)

One problem I see with this is its going to put the cyclists and joggers in conflict. There has been a nice truce in Memorial Park with the joggers on the dirt trail on the North side of Memorial and the cyclists on the paved trail on the South side, and on Picnic Circle. I had always thought this was largely because jogging on dirt is more low-impact for a jogger than paving, and because paving is better for a bicycle.

One problem I see with this is its going to put the cyclists and joggers in conflict. There has been a nice truce in Memorial Park with the joggers on the dirt trail on the North side of Memorial and the cyclists on the paved trail on the South side, and on Picnic Circle. I had always thought this was largely because jogging on dirt is more low-impact for a jogger than paving, and because paving is better for a bicycle.

I agree that the current separation is practical and working well. I guess they just want to make it more "one park" and give walkers/joggers access to the hardly-ever-full parking lots on the south side. Lots of people park there already and just walk across at the light, this will just make it safer.

Parking is sorely needed but I hate the idea of losing more of the natural woods on the South side of Memorial Drive for a surface lot and even more trails. I wish we'd spend the money and do it right by burying the parking underneath the playing fields similar to Discovery Green or even the Boston Common (parking is under the tennis courts/softball fields).

It doesn't appear that they are adding any new parking.

The Pita Pit on the corner of Fountainview and Westheimer (5887 Westheimer) is no more, it never even opened. They just got the sign up. The landlord put the suite up for lease.

BTW, visit their website, have you seen a more ridiculous mascot?

pitapit_adpages.jpg

I understanding the whole "take your product and add human features" to make a mascot, but this pita face borders on creepy.