I have no clue what was up with the other number we were told. This is still officially 48-stories.

The only other new building downtown that has started construction is Hines' 609 Main at Texas. The 48-story, 1.05 million-square-foot tower is expected to be complete in the fourth quarter of 2016. The tower was designed by New Haven, Connecticut-based Pickard Chilton Architects Inc. and is being built by D.E. Harvey Builders. Colvill Office Properties is in charge of finding the building tenants.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/06/26/more-details-emerge-on-new-downtown-office-towers.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+vertical_30+%28Oil+%26+Gas+Industry+News%29&page=2

Edit: More confirmation from today from the new Development Map. This is 48-stories:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/28590-development-list-for-buildings-in-houston-march-2014/?p=465814

Edited by Triton

I like the last picture with the market square tower included as well. Based on these renderings, it looks like this tower will be as tall as One Shell and First City Tower, if not taller.

Yeah. It's supposed to be 757' I believe.

Awesome new renderings!

Edit.. We still haven't seen what this building will look like at night, have we? Besides that first rendering a year or so back that swamplot called a "glowstick".. I'm interested to see how the building will be lit up/where these LEDs will be incorporated.

Edited by cloud713

I do think its taller than First City Tower - just off the height that was announced previously.  I wish that last picture was higher resolution.  Those are the type of renderings I like to see, the others are just purty looking illustrations.

Man I love the Pilkington System!  Pricey, but just a nice way to hang a sheet of glass.

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 1

I do think its taller than First City Tower - just off the height that was announced previously.  I wish that last picture was higher resolution.  Those are the type of renderings I like to see, the others are just purty looking illustrations.

Man I love the Pilkington System!  Pricey, but just a nice way to hang a sheet of glass.

If you look at the rendering of the upper floors, it makes it look like the top portion of the crown will exceed First City Tower.

The rendering shows the view from the upper floors to be taller than (or the same height as) One Shell Plaza roughly, and a little shorter than Republic Bank.  Which are both taller than First City Tower.  Makes me wonder if indeed the rumord 800' height was accurate, since the crown adds some addtional height?

Guess we'll find out fairly soon.

• Like 1

The rendering shows the view from the upper floors to be taller than (or the same height as) One Shell Plaza roughly, and a little shorter than Republic Bank.  Which are both taller than First City Tower.  Makes me wonder if indeed the rumord 800' height was accurate, since the crown adds some addtional height?

Guess we'll find out fairly soon.

Good catch. I've been curious as to the amount of extra engineering and design it would take to add a few floors to this building. I'd think the primary limiting factor would be the foundation, which would have to support the additional weight of added floors. However, if a foundation were constructed with enough strength for some added flexibility, I could see an additional modest increase in height.

Y'all do no that those pictures used as backdrops are pictures taken from something other than a floor on this building. Right? I wouldn't assume that they will be terribly accurate.

Unless Hines sent a drone up with a panoramic camera and an altimeter to take shots at the exact height of eye as the floors shown in the rendering. Maybe...but I kind of doubt it.

Well... my Dad worked for Hines back in the 1970s, and helped market One Shell Plaza back when that building was planned, and he suggested (and they did) go up in a helicopter and photograph views from various office heights.  So... that was way back when; remote control devices allow the same thing to happen today with much greater ease.  I wouldn't doubt a company like Hines (who is very detail oriented) would leave something like that out.  In fact, I imagine they're quite the bear of a client.  Probably very demanding.  And I would bet if they told the architect "We want a rendering looking out from the 45th and 47th floors" the architect would provide that.

Edited by arche_757

beautiful-2gg.gif

02.jpg

opulent, expensive, world class, extraordinary, maybe someone can help me here, but upon completion.. will this be the most beautiful building in houston...

I don't know about the most beautiful in Houston, but it will definitely be up there. I still like the old Gulf building and Bank of America better, but this might be my third favorite.

• Like 1

Cloud713

I'd agree with that. I just think until we see it in its finished state we ought to wait to crown it, THE most beautiful.

On a different note here is a link to several cities from birds eye views that are pretty incredible!

NYC, Dubai, Barcelona, and on

http://www.viralnova.com/cities-from-birds-eye-view/

• Like 1

Y'all do no that those pictures used as backdrops are pictures taken from something other than a floor on this building. Right? I wouldn't assume that they will be terribly accurate.

Unless Hines sent a drone up with a panoramic camera and an altimeter to take shots at the exact height of eye as the floors shown in the rendering. Maybe...but I kind of doubt it.

Developers are all using drones now to capture views from specific floors as marketing tools.  

Is it?

It's perfectly fine, but Heritage Plaza *defines* our skyline in a way this just won't. 

I actually think One Park Place is a more important building that 609 Main. It's not a particularly inspiring piece of architecture, but it pushed the skyline east, defined that portion of downtown, and re-established residential skyscrapers a viable reality downtown.

609 Main is just a pretty, yet bland, office tower in a sea of similar buildings.

• Like 1