From earlier today, also included a pic if the Magnolia Hotel. It really is a beautiful building

Even on this one I think the first two floors are a modern attempt to restore a historic style after a renovation botching, but thankfully everything higher than that is gracefully original.

Geez Nate.. All these updates make me wonder if you're camping out on top of that garage to get these awesome action shots. Next time I'm in downtown in keep an eye for a tent and/or campfire smoke.

I walk by there at least twice a day. This makes for an interesting diversion. As for timing of the last two updates, that was dumb luck. 

• Like 1

You can really start to see the footprint of the building taking shape on the webcam! Awesome seeing this thing come to fruition after all the months of talk. Interesting to see a bunch of trucks on site as Hines is really getting at it, while the Marquis site looks quiet. :(

I didn't know the old name of the CQ hotel, nor that the lettering was still semi-visible until you pointed that out. 

That view gives a perception of density that I don't really notice walking around. Once this building is in and Capitol tower is up, it will be even denser, but again, you won't be able to see it like this. 

I've always loved the Gulf Building. It's definitely one of my top 5 favorite buildings in Houston.

Amen to that.

Throw in Esperson, Humble and BOA and I am good.

Loved the old pics of the Texas Tower but didn't get to see it in its glory. Let's hope this tower is a worthy replacement. I am still not sold on Hines last downtown tower. Still call it the giant monkey wrench

• Like 1

Amen to that.

Throw in Esperson, Humble and BOA and I am good.

Loved the old pics of the Texas Tower but didn't get to see it in its glory. Let's hope this tower is a worthy replacement. I am still not sold on Hines last downtown tower. Still call it the giant monkey wrench

All that counts is that everyone else likes it.

• Like 1

More on the building:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/05/hines-office-tower-designed-to-wow.html?page=2

“It’s going to be one of the most amenity-rich and technically advanced projects in the country,” said Mooz.

For one, it will include an under-floor cooling system, allowing individuals to adjust the temperature in their own workspace by the simple turn of a valve. It’s kind of like the overhead air conditioning knobs passengers control in an airplane, but much quieter and running at a lower velocity.

Not only does it make for a more comfortable work environment for everyone, it allows tenants to more easily reconfigure their offices, since most of the cooling system is in the floors rather the walls and ceilings,

And Pickard has the research to back it up.

“One of the biggest complaints we hear is that people are either too hot or too cold in their offices,” he said. “Many of the energy companies are including this technology in their corporate campuses, but I don’t think I know of anyone including it in a spec building.”

Although the system costs a little more on the front-end, it actually saves money and energy consumption.

“This is the most people-driven, multitenant buildings we have ever done. When you create a spectacular building, it’s going to help you attract and retain employees,” said Mooz.

The building also includes a 30,000-square-foot, urban rooftop garden, a 10,000-square-foot conference area on the second floor that will accommodate 300 people, a fitness center, and “resort-style" restrooms, which means stall partitions go all the way to the floor, offering more privacy. That perk costs about $1 million for the building’s 100 restrooms.

The lobby, which is designed to look like a boutique hotel's, will feature a coffee bar, cascading water feature and comfortable seating for impromptu meetings or as an alternative to working in the office.

“People don’t work like they use to. They like to have different options,” Pickard said. “This won’t be a place where you have to sit straight and wear a tie. It will be a place where you can be comfortable and actually still do your work. It will be a place of retreat.”

Plans also include 10,000 square feet of first-floor retail space and abundant natural light throughout the building.

“All of the experts say providing abundant light and clean air increases workers productivity,” Pickard said.

• Like 1

I'm interested how the personalized hvac system works. They say it's easier for tenants to reconfigure their furniture but to me that seems like it would limit your layouts and cause inefficiencies. Obviously I'm wrong but I just don't understand how it works. Anyone work where this system is?

“It’s going to be one of the most amenity-rich and technically advanced projects in the country,” said Mooz.

Wow, no wonder these buildings take forever to be completed.

I thought this building would grow on me by now, but I hate the latest rendering even more than previous ones. I still hate it's companion two block south too.

This thing has shrunk, right?

Edit: I count somewhere around the lower 40s on this thing. Wasn't it supposed to be 49 floors?

Well I count 40 floors above the 9 story garage = 49 stories

Plus the crown which at its apex is an additional 5 stories = 54 stories

Well I count 40 floors above the 9 story garage = 49 stories

Plus the crown which at its apex is an additional 5 stories = 54 stories

Ah ok, I recounted and it may be closer to the upper 40s. What's been confusing me is that development report that listed this as 41-stories.

Edit Again! So it looks like this number keeps jumping around: "a 47-story, spec office tower" http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/05/hines-office-tower-designed-to-wow.html

Edited by Triton