• 2 weeks later...

Not to piss on the campfire, but Hines did leave Houston some years back for London where he still lives and shifted his attention to developments outside the U.S.  Although he seems to have found a renewed interest in Houston the last half decade or so, it's still not like it was up until the 80's when Houston was his main focus. He does not pick Houston to put his truly paradigm-shifting developments, as he did up until Transco Tower.

Whereas Jones was a Houston guy until the very end.  He once expressed the thought that Houston could be like Paris, but he never left for Paris.  He will always be Mr. Houston.

• Like 2

Jesse Jones was a philanthropist, was he not? Hines is strictly a business man, so he's not doing charity work here. If he couldn't make money in Houston, he wouldn't be here. Until he starts giving up his own money without expecting a return on his dollar, we cannot compare the two in the same way. I love me some Hines, no doubt, but it's just not a fair comparison.

• Like 2

Not to piss on the campfire, but Hines did leave Houston some years back for London where he still lives and shifted his attention to developments outside the U.S. Although he seems to have found a renewed interest in Houston the last half decade or so, it's still not like it was up until the 80's when Houston was his main focus. He does not pick Houston to put his truly paradigm-shifting developments, as he did up until Transco Tower.

Whereas Jones was a Houston guy until the very end. He once expressed the thought that Houston could be like Paris, but he never left for Paris. He will always be Mr. Houston.

Thats all true and I agree Jones will always be the Mr. Houston.

Be that as it may, you take away Gerald Hines legacy, the Galleria, Transco Tower, and the many other projects him or his company were directly/indirectly responsible for, and you take away a HUGE chunk of what Houston is today, and even in years forthcoming. Cant really downplay Jerrys significance in this city.

Not to piss on the campfire, but Hines did leave Houston some years back for London where he still lives and shifted his attention to developments outside the U.S.  Although he seems to have found a renewed interest in Houston the last half decade or so, it's still not like it was up until the 80's when Houston was his main focus. He does not pick Houston to put his truly paradigm-shifting developments, as he did up until Transco Tower.

Whereas Jones was a Houston guy until the very end.  He once expressed the thought that Houston could be like Paris, but he never left for Paris.  He will always be Mr. Houston.

Not like Hines had a choice.  The local economy tanked and the real estate market fell out of the basement and into whatever was below that.

Jones was not a philathropist, he was an entrepreneur/politician/businessman/pro-Houston Promotor.  Hines is mostly just a businessman.  He did help to redefine our town through his work.

Jones also established the Houston Endowment, while Hines hasn't done that he has certainly given money.  And who knows what he will do whenever he finally retires?

(And for the record, if I had the money I'd probably live elsewhere too.  I would still come back to town and enjoy the holidays and the town for what it is, but I'd have a nice farm or estate in some place with 4 true seasons and running water on it.)

Not like Hines had a choice.  The local economy tanked and the real estate market fell out of the basement and into whatever was below that.

Jones was not a philathropist, he was an entrepreneur/politician/businessman/pro-Houston Promotor.  Hines is mostly just a businessman.  He did help to redefine our town through his work.

Jones also established the Houston Endowment, while Hines hasn't done that he has certainly given money.  And who knows what he will do whenever he finally retires?

(And for the record, if I had the money I'd probably live elsewhere too.  I would still come back to town and enjoy the holidays and the town for what it is, but I'd have a nice farm or estate in some place with 4 true seasons and running water on it.)

The local economy did not tank permanently. Hines went to London and stayed. Jones went to Washington D.C. and came back to Houston (and this was before air-conditioning!). Both are great, but Hines does not inherit the Mr. Houston mantle.

Okay, who cares about Jones and Hines. Any other info on this building anybody? I'm looking foward to seeing this sucker rise. Think about it, we'll have 609 main, 2929 Weslayan, BHP Billiton, Astoria, and possibly the Chevron Tower all having huge cranes in the air at the same time. How cool will that be?

Okay, who cares about Jones and Hines. Any other info on this building anybody? I'm looking foward to seeing this sucker rise. Think about it, we'll have 609 main, 2929 Weslayan, BHP Billiton, Astoria, and possibly the Chevron Tower all having huge cranes in the air at the same time. How cool will that be?

It will be even cooler than that.  We'll also have the Marriott Marquis crane(s) in the air.   Possibly Apache.  And possibly several more.

According to our list, the following projects should have cranes up in 2014:

609 Main at Texas - Downtown

1600 Louisiana - Downtown

Skyhouse (Spring 2014 Completion) - Downtown

Hilcorp Energy Tower - Downtown

6 Houston Center- Downtown

Marriott Marquis Convention Center Hotel - Downtown

Hines Market Square (Sept. 2014 Start) - Downtown

Marquette Residential High-Rise - Downtown

Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites - Downtown

Hyatt Place - Downtown

BHP Billiton - Uptown

Astoria - Uptown

Hyatt Regency - Uptown

Hanover Post Oak - Uptown

Gables Post Oak Tower - Uptown

Apache Tower - Uptown

Belfiore - Uptown

2229 San Felipe - River Oaks

2929 Weslayan - Greenway

3737 Buffalo Speedway - Greenway

Levy Park / Kirby Grove - Greenway

Redstone Companies Office Building - Greenway

The Sovereign (March 2014 Completion) - Allen Parkway

Brazos Towers at Bayou Manor - Near Med Center

Hanover South Hampton - West U

Hermann Place - Museum District

The Southmore - Museum District

Hanover Montrose - Montrose

22 Waugh

Cranes will be in the air for the smaller projects going up too.

Edited by Urbannizer

Add to your list the

Southmore residential high rise by Hines on Caroline and Southmore

The two twelve story hotels near the new Marquis to go up next to convention center downtown

Hines Market Square high rise

Herman Park twisted high rise

The Sovereign high rise on West Grey

The Southampton residential by Hanover  12 stories in the Village under construction now

Hanover High rise going up behind the new Whole Foods on Post Oak

Apache next door

Hyatt Regency Galleria

Skanska old Maceys site

and a few others that might will break ground

According to our list, the following projects should have cranes up in 2014:

609 Main at Texas - Downtown

1600 Louisiana - Downtown

Skyhouse (Spring 2014 Completion) - Downtown

Hilcorp Energy Tower - Downtown

6 Houston Center- Downtown

Marriott Marquis Convention Center Hotel - Downtown

Hines Market Square (Sept. 2014 Start) - Downtown

Marquette Residential High-Rise - Downtown

Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites - Downtown

Hyatt Place - Downtown

BHP Billiton - Uptown

Astoria - Uptown

Hyatt Regency - Uptown

Hanover Post Oak - Uptown

Gables Post Oak Tower - Uptown

Apache Tower - Uptown

Belfiore - Uptown

2229 San Felipe - River Oaks

2929 Weslayan - Greenway

3737 Buffalo Speedway - Greenway

Levy Park / Kirby Grove - Greenway

Redstone Companies Office Building - Greenway

The Sovereign (March 2014 Completion) - Allen Parkway

Brazos Towers at Bayou Manor - Near Med Center

Hanover South Hampton - West U

Hermann Place - Museum District

The Southmore - Museum District

Hanover Montrose - Montrose

22 Waugh

Cranes will be in the air for the smaller projects going up too.

Amazing list.  It seems pretty likely there will be a substantial crane for the Texaco Building project as well.

Do we really have reason to think 6 Houston Center is likely to start in 2014?

Edited by Houston19514