The value of repurposing is in maintaining continuity.

There is value in continuity and there is value in change. When you are talking about property, you are talking about the rights that are established through the political process to weigh one against the other.  Each have mutually exclusive benefits; make your case and may we hope that the political process comes up with something equitable.

There is value in continuity and there is value in change. When you are talking about property, you are talking about the rights that are established through the political process to weigh one against the other. Each have mutually exclusive benefits;

Agreed. As I said, my only disagreement was the statement that remodeling never added value.

I see your point but disagree on the ever adding value part.

The value of repurposing is in maintaining continuity.

Like Arche said the purpose must be considered. If you destroy all department store structures and replace them with modern buildings, we not only lose our, history and culture but we also lose the multifaced nature of our downtown. How are we going to fit in department stores and large groceries if we only build structures geared to the 9-5ers?

In terms of the Texas tower, the value would have been in its beauty, but since that is gone there is not much vslue in renovation. Many tourists like taking architectural tours of downtowns. The Texas Tower would havevalue there over a shiny glass box, but because of what was done to it, the shiny new tower will have more value in this case

You are correct.  I was really talking more about physical remodeling, usually to "modernize" than about re-purposing a structure to a different use, and while there is overlap the concepts are not identical.  

The Texas Tower could have been adopted to another use, such as apartments, but the value proposition apparently wasn't there and there was little architectural value imo.  It's a different problem with Macy's and the Astrodome, both of which are architecturally unique in a way that makes it hard to figure out other uses without substantial physical remodeling.  

I still wonder what the east side of this building looks like, especially on the top floor. I'm guessing it is just a slant as well...

Edit:

I know we have this...

post-7558-0-34150600-1382715190_thumb.jp

But it seems like it would be nice to visualize it looking from the east.

Edited by Triton

It'll look great from the view in your avatar. This thing is going to top out around 150' higher than the new building at 811 Main. Really looking forward to this one...and hoping for the International Tower and Skanska building to follow suit soon.

I still wonder what the east side of this building looks like, especially on the top floor. I'm guessing it is just a slant as well...

Edit:

I know we have this...

post-7558-0-34150600-1382715190_thumb.jp

But it seems like it would be nice to visualize it looking from the east.

• Like 1

Well from the east side. I don't think any rendering has showed us how this crown will look from that angle. Basically I'm talking about viewing this from like Minute Maid Park or the BBVA Compass Stadium.

Urbanizer's picture is pretty much the view from where the AAstros play.

Well from the east side. I don't think any rendering has showed us how this crown will look from that angle. Basically I'm talking about viewing this from like Minute Maid Park or the BBVA Compass Stadium.

I do believe that is more of a southeast view.

• Like 1