So BG Group Place is 46 floors and it is only 630" tall.

If what someone said above is true, that this is going to be a 750' tall building, that would be more in line with towers that have 55 floors.

Is there a way anyone can get an architectural height for us?

Is that the House of Pies at its base?

From the press release it does not look like there will be any retail at the base, other than a cafe. Kind of disappointing, but I guess they're thinking this is the way they need to go to get it built.

It looks like their residential tower will have retail - maybe they figure this is more appealing to residential customers than it is to office tenants.

Thanks Urbinnizer.  Those were likely posted before I started signing in, and as such I couldn't clik on them/couldn't read them.  Odd that even though it only has a few floors more than BG Group Place, that it will be so much taller.  Granted the height of the "fins" add to the overall height, but the floor-to-floor height must also be considerably more?

609 has a bunch of retail spots.  A large 7k-8k sf space along Main, and two medium size spaces on Capitol & Fannin.   There will be a conference center on the 2nd floor overlooking Main and a fitness center overlooking the corner of Fannin & Capitol.  

As for the height - BG Group Place is 630' and 609 is ~750' tall.

Love the Whataburger reference too!

• Like 2

609 has a bunch of retail spots.  A large 7k-8k sf space along Main, and two medium size spaces on Capitol & Fannin.   There will be a conference center on the 2nd floor overlooking Main and a fitness center overlooking the corner of Fannin & Capitol.  

As for the height - BG Group Place is 630' and 609 is ~750' tall.

Love the Whataburger reference too!

Larger rendering of the base: 

10480359953_80b33dd817_b.jpg

fantastic.. i can see where the retail is going much better now with the description and the close up of the base. great news that its still around.

will the tower be all office floors or will the garage extend underneath the tower portion, encompassing the whole block? doesnt look like any cars in the lower portion of the tower, but from the side profile blue print view with the floor markings and height, it appeared there were garage floors at the bottom. is BG on top of a garage?

This recent interview with Pickard, although it's about his new design for Milwaukee, gives some good insight into how he thinks. I thought his comments about 80's architecture vs. today resonate with Houston buildings.

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/2013/09/27/qa-architecture-with-midwestern-pragmatism/?mod=WSJBlog

Really good Q and A article H-Town

Hines buildings through the years, as called by Houstonians (a selection):

1976 - The milk cartons

1981 - The really tall one, but kinda ugly. Isn't the green one taller? No I think this is taller.

1983 - The really awesome one. At sunset.

1984 - The cute kind of gingerbread one

2009 - The PEZ dispenser

2014 - The Whataburger

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 3

Would love to see pics of all these - or at least the names so I can look some up I don't know.

Milk cartons - Pennzoil

Really tall one - TCB/Chase Tower

Awesome - Williams/Transco Tower

Cute gingerbread - Bank of America (I think)

Pez - BG Place

It would indeed be quite a coup to get Whataburger to move their HQ from Corpus Christi.