Something with a touch of variety to the exterior, like this new one going up in Los Angeles.

http://brighamyen.com/2013/02/07/renderings-revealed-new-1100-foot-wilshire-grand-tower-in-downtown-los-angeles/#more-9536

Wow, that is indeed a nice tower. One day we'll get another supertall. Houston has a bright future with 3 million more people expected to move into the area by 2030. It's conceivable we'll see plenty more highrises built in the area. 

Something with a touch of variety to the exterior, like this new one going up in Los Angeles.

http://brighamyen.com/2013/02/07/renderings-revealed-new-1100-foot-wilshire-grand-tower-in-downtown-los-angeles/#more-9536

Now that's a gorgeous tower... Still amazed houston isn't capable of bringing in one legitimate 5-star hotel in the middle of our booming economy. an iconic hotel tower would do this city right (looking at you BLVD place ritz Carlton....)

That said, the sky lobby hotel concept may not be too far off in downtown houston... :D

That said, the sky lobby hotel concept may not be too far off in downtown houston... :D

Swtsig knows something! Reading the article I didn't see anything about it containing office space. Is it only a hotel with retail on the bottom? If that's the case the new Marriott Marquis downtown should be like 80 stories and 1200 feet tall!

Swtsig knows something! Reading the article I didn't see anything about it containing office space. Is it only a hotel with retail on the bottom? If that's the case the new Marriott Marquis downtown should be like 80 stories and 1200 feet tall!

???   Are you referring to the article about the LA building?  From the article:  "In addition, the tower will include 400,000 square feet of office space below the hotel floors."

So much bad taste going on in the world. That last one looked like a poster for the 1974 classic disaster movie epic "Earthquake". Vile.

The one in L.A. looks unfinished, amateurish and like something you would see on that silly, yet brilliant cartoon, "Futurama". Blah! I thank Jesus that this hideous tower isn't going up in Houston.

Edited by Mister X

Note about the second link: It looks like a meteor crashed into it or the day after the alien attack on 'Independence Day.' It's essentially the Chase Tower with a chunk missing out of it. No thanks. Keep that trash on the other side of the world.

Edited by wxman

Swtsig knows something! Reading the article I didn't see anything about it containing office space. Is it only a hotel with retail on the bottom? If that's the case the new Marriott Marquis downtown should be like 80 stories and 1200 feet tall!

The hotel doesn't exist yet but the retail does... Let's just say it would be a welcome addition to an existing development. Assuming it happens of course.

The hotel doesn't exist yet but the retail does... Let's just say it would be a welcome addition to an existing development. Assuming it happens of course.

I'm a perplexed by what you mean that the retail exists. Potential or existing retail? GreenStreet or The Shops?

Is this a development that downtownhouston.org is aware of and has cited on their development map?

I am hoping it means that the Pavilions/Greens were built to withstand future development. Would be nice to see the hotel tower and residential tower that were both planned finally be added to the site.

The original developers dropped the ball. Of course, the city let them. Bait and switch at its worst.

• Like 1

I am hoping it means that the Pavilions/Greens were built to withstand future development. Would be nice to see the hotel tower and residential tower that were both planned finally be added to the site.

It wasn't. 

to build a hotel or  residential, parts of the Pavilions would have to be torn down.  (I won't call it by the new name)

It wasn't. 

to build a hotel or  residential, parts of the Pavilions would have to be torn down.  (I won't call it by the new name)

what i heard is strictly speculative (albeit from a decent source) but it led to believe otherwise... i could definitely be completely wrong as it was mentioned in passing, though.

• 2 months later...
609 Main at Texas is a 41-story Class-A next generation office tower that offers a signature presence in the Houston skyline and contributes to the vitality of the Central Business District. At the nexus of the Metro and bus lines, the tower also offers a direct connection to the downtown pedestrian tunnel system.

The sustainably-designed office tower will be clad in a high performance enclosure with low-E floor-to-ceiling glass. Efficient and flexible 27,500 sf floor plates accommodate a variety of uses, allow daylight deep into the building and offer panoramic views. Efficient building systems include under floor HVAC; “smart” elevators; and, sophisticated safety systems. The podium conceals parking for 1200 cars and features an expansive urban roof garden.

The lobby features a modern café and a digital working bar. Amenities include a conference facility; a fine dining restaurant; and a fitness center with associated facilities.

http://www.pickardchilton.com/mobile/609_main_at_texas.html

• Like 1