http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/02/downtown-building-sale-could-shatter-records/

Hopefully, once Hines sells BG Group Place they will start on a new downtown office building.

It's interesting how they have sold three very expensive towers in the last couple years. It's nice to dream that they'll use the funds on something even better then their Transco Tower and BG Group Place (especially seeing as they'll got a nice chunk of change for both).

I was thinking similarly once. Though one thing to keep in mind is, which I'm sure you have, is that hey are an international company can be looking to use that money elsewhhere. Although the fact they presumably have done so well here might in fact give them confidence to build another one.

Hines is currently building a HUGELY expensive project in San Fran right now.

I'd love to think they were positioning themselves for a new downtown Houston tower, but I've heard some rumors that they aren't quite as interested in their Main @ Texas location as they were a year ago... Bummer if true. BG Group Place is over 93% leased now and was a wildly successful spec tower.

Plus, Main @ Texas seems like such an important location in town. I hate that there's a big hole in the area.

I'd love to think they were positioning themselves for a new downtown Houston tower, but I've heard some rumors that they aren't quite as interested in their Main @ Texas location as they were a year ago... Bummer if true. BG Group Place is over 93% leased now and was a wildly successful spec tower.

Plus, Main @ Texas seems like such an important location in town. I hate that there's a big hole in the area.

Did those rumors include reasons or explanations for why they aren't as interested in the site as they were a year ago ?

• Like 1

I've been thinking about that one when it comes to Hines developing something like that here. It could show they're bullish about building large office projects and maybe they might think about building another 60+ showcase building in their hometown or it could be a giant strain on resources and they'll take it slow and steady for a while. 

It's interesting how they have sold three very expensive towers in the last couple years. It's nice to dream that they'll use the funds on something even better then their Transco Tower and BG Group Place (especially seeing as they'll got a nice chunk of change for both).

Unfortunately that's not the way it works. They use those funds to pay a return to their investors. Which isn't to say the they don't get reinvested in new projects but it's obviously not a quid pro quo scenario.

He speaks as if he does. I like it

This Q4 report says that Hines's, Skanska and Brookfield are planning office buildings downtown but will not break ground without a lead tenant. See page 6

http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2013-01-16/2012-4Q_-_PMRG.pdf

Edited by lockmat

Do you have insider knowledge on this?  Spill the beans!

I don't know the person who is posting, personally... but I do know who they are.

That said, I'm intrigued and very hopeful for the future. Previous information they provided on MainPlace through the development/construction phase was spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the most recent post in the Central Houston Development map thread, it may be worth noting the part that ties specifically to this proposal - it seems larger than the rendering we've all seen.

About this block, on page 11 the linked report specifically says...

Hines is actively marketing 600 Main, a 990,000 square foot 48 floor office development with an attached 12 floor parking garage. The development will be contingent on significant pre-leasing.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 1

Based on the most recent post in the Central Houston Development map thread, it may be worth noting the part that ties specifically to this proposal - it seems larger than the rendering we've all seen.

About this block, on page 11 the linked report specifically says...

Thanks for posting the linked report, lots of interesting info. 

Interesting link.

Did you catch that the report said there are FOUR residential projects planned for downtown? I can think of Finger's Ballpark project and the Skyhouse but can't wrap my mind around the other 2... Anyone?

Interesting... One is probably the conversion of the old Texaco HQ (hopefully that is still happening). Perhaps the block being marketed by Houston First Corp? (the block north of the planned Marriott Marquis) is the other.

Edited by Houston19514

• 3 weeks later...

I kinda cant wait for them to tear down the Macy lot, tthat plot of land would not stay vacent for long, with the slow but steady gains main strett has been making the  city would not stand for a big hole to be sitting their for to long and would pressure the company to do something with it

Nice find!  I swear when I got on here earlier this morning I felt like something was going to come out today regarding one of the big downtown projects.  I am not disappointed in this design either.  Very classy shape and base.  This will be a great addition and like everyone says, hopefully it does end up taller.

I kinda cant wait for them to tear down the Macy lot, tthat plot of land would not stay vacent for long, with the slow but steady gains main strett has been making the  city would not stand for a big hole to be sitting their for to long and would pressure the company to do something with it

It's coming down for a reason... There WILL be a new high rise on the Macy's site, there's already a design team in place. The design of the replacement building went as far as DD (fairly certain it was DD), prior to the "owner" making a design team change.

• Like 1

It's coming down for a reason... There WILL be a new high rise on the Macy's site, there's already a design team in place. The design of the replacement building went as far as DD (fairly certain it was DD), prior to the "owner" making a design team change.

Good  like it when They have a game plan , never been a fan of when They tear something down and leave it for 3 or 4 years while they figure out what they want to do.