If that is true...What an utter disappointment and a waste of "I can't wait till Wednesday" mentality. Sure is a let down.

I think that was his prediction, not an actual report on information. Not sure about Kinkaidalum's comment either. Guess we'll have to wait for an actual report.

EDIT:

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/03-15-11-what-recession-hines-plans-another-new-office-tower-at-block-69-for-downtown-houston/

Based on this article last year and the way Hines speaks of the site's potential, my prediction: 50 stories, curved glass curtain wall facade with a crown, ground floor retail with tunnel connection, and on-site garage.

Edited by tigereye

Well then, since you are going to be pessimistic Woolie haha, I'll go with at least a 38 stories. Ground retail and restaurant with a glass facade. A LEED Gold rating and no residential.

Please Rod Roddy, from the afterlife, call me down as the next contestant on The Price Is Right (fingers crossed!)

I was kind of hoping over 50. Wasn't the economy on the decline when MainPlace was announced? It's on the rise now, but I guess Hines is playing it conservative. Or maybe they are announcing TWO 48 story towers! muahahahaaaa...

48 stories with garage in the bldg. glass curtain wall. BIG improvement over the one time drive-thru McDonald's.

kinkaid is right - 48 stories, 36 office over 12 garage. can't recall retail component. architecture is interesting, a lot of sharp lines if that makes any sense - or at least per the rendering i've seen.

I take it the new skyscraper doesn't remotely resemble the old original Hines proposal?!? This has a garage below but doesnt look like its 48 stories...

http://swamplot.com/secret-hines-tower-land-in-hand/2008-05-19/

HinesNorthTower.jpg

Edited by tigereye

Seriously we need pics! I have a bet riding on the stupid thing.

Can we get a press release. I Google News, Hines and Houston. . . get nothing.

Just checked, it's $50 a pop for a ticket to this thing. *M*e*h*.

Edited by Pumapayam

48 stories seems so ''run of the mill.'' Anybody else think that? The block it will be built on will obscure it from almost any vantage point from the north and especially the west.

I don't think 600+ ft is that common. It would make it #1 or 2 in Houston since the 80s.

I think there is no way it doesn't get leaked tonight.

I agree with lockmat, if this news is as big as we've been playing it to be. There is no way it won't get leaked tonight.

If it doesn't get leaked well, maybe it really wasn't worth the anticipation and rave. But I can't see how that is possible.

I'm thinking they stringing out the attendees, building up anticipation and waiting till close to 8 to reveal it.

I'm thinking they are stringing out the attendees, building up anticipation and waiting till close to 8 to reveal it.

48 stories seems so ''run of the mill.'' Anybody else think that? The block it will be built on will obscure it from almost any vantage point from the north and especially the west.

The tallest building located north of this block is about 9 or 10 stories. The tallest building northeast of this building is 11 stories. The tallest building east of this building is 20 stories. Depending on the view, some Houston Center buildings might block the view from the southeast. The views from the south, southwest and west are blocked. The view from the northwest may be blocked depending on the vantage point. Given its location on the edge of the skyline, it will be visible from over half of the vantage points around the compass. It will be more visible than BG place.

I'm thinking they stringing out the attendees, building up anticipation and waiting till close to 8 to reveal it.

I'm thinking they are stringing out the attendees, building up anticipation and waiting till close to 8 to reveal it.

Unless they are offering free booze (for that 50 buck ticket), I'd want to know what's going on.

I just hope a HAIFer is inside there.