Jump to content
HAIF - Houston's original social media

609 Main at Texas: Hines Next Downtown Tower


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

views from near the top    

Well I went downtown and I did get a photo of the 609 Main building but it didn't really show much of the crown.  That said, it is still just lighting up the two angled upper sections of the crown.  I

Posted Images

Houston - Continental Center I
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Center_I 

This post-modern gas chamber inspires suicide and nothingness at every section. Everything looks sterile and as if designed to trap people inside. Sort of ironic considering the only thing this building was known for was being vacant.

Sorry I'll get back to the subject.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2017 at 10:41 AM, Triton said:

Ok, I'll admit it, the lighting on 609 is bad. For a new landmark building, it deserves better.

 

The lighting doesn't seem nearly as bright as I had hoped, but other then that it's not terrible. It could of been cool if they had LEDs along the angles/edges though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, brijonmang said:

Are we sure they are done getting all the LEDs up and running?  

 

4 hours ago, Tonyhtown said:

All LEDS are not up yet at least not all from the crown.

 

I saw some lights running the crease from the bottom to the top on the other day... So i know the full lighting scheme has not been implemented just yet.

 

FYI the lights we saw on a couple days ago are just the cycle through / testing...

 

Let wait till the building is 'complete' to judge the lighting.

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Avossos said:

 

 

I saw some lights running the crease from the bottom to the top on the other day... So i know the full lighting scheme has not been implemented just yet.

 

FYI the lights we saw on a couple days ago are just the cycle through / testing...

 

Let wait till the building is 'complete' to judge the lighting.

 

Yeah, I took some pictures of the recessed "creased" lighting last week, but even that isn't very bright. I hoped/figured they would back the rest of the crown/fins with LEDs, so maybe it will look better once that's done. I just hope they can turn up the brightness.. so far they look more like a dim glow than bright colorful accent lighting.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Avossos said:

 

I know many of y'all seem unimpressed with the lighting, but I personally love the simple and distinctive vertical light strip. Very modern. Very sleek.

 

I definitely like the light strip, but the lighting on the crown can be greatly improved. Then again, I don't control the budget for this place so maybe that's all we'll get.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Sunstar said:

From now on 609 Main will be the new standard for all future tower proposals. I think it brought our skyline back to relevance. 

As much as I like 609 I think you're understating our skyline & giving it too much credit.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

As much as I like 609 I think you're understating our skyline & giving it too much credit.

I love our skyline, and I think we have great examples of Architecture from previous decades. That being said, 609 is a definite shift in style and more representative of 21st century architecture. I would hold future designs up to this one, as opposed to the BoA building, for example, which is a great building that embodies an older sensibility. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sunstar said:

I love our skyline, and I think we have great examples of Architecture from previous decades. That being said, 609 is a definite shift in style and more representative of 21st century architecture. I would hold future designs up to this one, as opposed to the BoA building, for example, which is a great building that embodies an older sensibility. 

IMO that's setting the bar on average, no higher. 609, BG, Hess, and Hilcorp are no more a 1000 Main or Calpine Center of this decade.

 

Its a glass prism without much vehement.

 

Pink Granite wouldn't go far in today's standards, but 609 won't be making it in any architecture books like BoA, for example. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:04 PM, Montrose1100 said:

IMO that's setting the bar on average, no higher. 609, BG, Hess, and Hilcorp are no more a 1000 Main or Calpine Center of this decade.

 

Its a glass prism without much vehement.

 

Pink Granite wouldn't go far in today's standards, but 609 won't be making it in any architecture books like BoA, for example. 

 

A bit harsh! It's better than 1000 Main or Calpine Center, which are squattier, more budget-minded towers with a lower degree of finish and detail. I would compare it more with some of the early Houston Center towers, 1100 Louisiana, or Tenneco. Tenneco might be the best comparison since it was also designed by a respected national firm in the business of making crisp, understated towers that stand the test of time.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the second photo, the "incomplete" LED feature starts to make some sense.  It's too bad that the building's faceting doesn't show up enough at night to give the light feature some context.

Edited by mollusk
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017 at 7:43 AM, Nole23 said:

"New York-based McKinsey & Co., a global consulting firm, is relocating its Houston office to 609 Main, a company spokesperson confirmed to the Houston Business Journal.

 

McKinsey will move into 36,000 square feet of space in 609 Main, per Colvill Office Properties’ Michael Anderson. Anderson, alongside Damon Thames, represents the building’s developer, Hines. McKinsey will relocate from 5 Houston Center, where it currently occupies 35,000 square feet, according to a McKinsey spokesperson and PMRG research."

 

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/03/15/exclusive-big-three-consulting-firm-to-relocate-to.html?ana=fbk

 

 

Any clue what % of the building is leased up? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Hearsay was also in the new wave of downtown bars, opening about 5 years ago.  So there really even less prior to when you moved downtown, downtownian.

 

609 Main sits on a block that had a long-vacant obsolete small-footprint office tower (even the Chinese restaurant in it shut down a decade or two ago), and was otherwise a giant parking lot, though there was a weird suburban McDonald's on that block that was also torn down some years back.

 

A block away, 811 Main was on arguably the worst (at the time) block in all of downtown, with a dumpy hotel rife with drugs and prostitution and otherwise a bunch of largely decrepit vacant buildings.

 

Now this several block area is one of the most gleaming parts of downtown.   Add the JW Marriott, which revived another decaying largely-vacant building, the Star apartments which are partially open now (though I think their parking garage should win an award for the slowest parking garage ever constructed -- I think they are building it at a rate of one floor every 6 months), two new light rail lines, and more, it's totally transformed the area.

 

I worked downtown briefly in 2004-2005 and again since 2012, and the change has been astonishing.  Even over the last 5 years I've seen so much of an improvement in street-level pedestrian presence in the area of 609 Main.  Going to lunch today I was once again amazed at how many people there were outside -- this is not the downtown I know, and I love it.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember catching the bus to the Med center at the old and abandoned Rice hotel. The place a  strong urine smell. Would get stuck in the nasal epithelia for some time. Everything north of the Rice was a wasteland. My wife and I used to bemoan that places like Montreal had such lively downtowns but our city which was much larger did not. Things are definitely moving in the right direction.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to work at 806 Main. Main Street was active but not what the Chamber of Commerce would use to advertise the city. Buses would line up all along Main smoking up the air as they idled. Crazy folks every where. Open drug deals at the convenience store. And yes, the old Rice Hotel was simply an outdoor urinal. 

 

That said, there was a fairly busy Foley's, a Woolworths, a Payless and a few other retail places. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

I used to work at 806 Main. Main Street was active but not what the Chamber of Commerce would use to advertise the city. Buses would line up all along Main smoking up the air as they idled. Crazy folks every where. Open drug deals at the convenience store. And yes, the old Rice Hotel was simply an outdoor urinal. 

 

That said, there was a fairly busy Foley's, a Woolworths, a Payless and a few other retail places. 

Now, fast forward:

 

the crazy people are still there in droves, as are the drug deals.  The urinal has moved to new locations around downtown, and the buses queue up elsewhere.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Now, fast forward:

 

the crazy people are still there in droves, as are the drug deals.  The urinal has moved to new locations around downtown, and the buses queue up elsewhere.

Go to New York, even Austin has its street people. It happens to be an issue that everyone has to deal with in some way but once more people are living down town and more people are out on the streets those folks will move more to the edges. Its a tragedy that we have forced so many marginal people onto the streets either by being released from state run institutions or the drug and alcohol epidemic but in this day and age you will find this situation everywhere.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...