There's no reason a residential tower, which has every unit fully finished out, should be faster to build than an office tower which is often delivered as shell space. Take a look at 2929 Wesayan and Sovereign as extreme examples. Skyhouses are an exemption, their developers have figured out a way to crank out McTowers very quickly. While they may not win Architectural awards, they are great for business given their speed to market - and I would bet most potential residents don't mind the exterior look at all.

You guys are kind of debating something that can't really be settled with the information we know. But I'll chime in a few extra points...

• The loads for a residential tower on each floor slab are normally a lot lower. The Private dwellings for multifamily apartments have live load spec of 40PSF vs 50 to 100PSF for offices (see ASCE 7: Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures)
  • 609 Main is taller. Taller buildings mean higher wind loads
  • Higher loads means more hefty construction and design, which typically means more person-hours to complete the project
  • Speaking of person-hours, none of us know the amount of labor crews allocated to each project. For all we know, Sky-house could have had 1000 people working on it. (exaggerating). We simply do not know the production rates of various crews.
  • Speaking of Production, we have no idea what contractual obligations are set forth between the GC and owner. Are crews being paid by the owner to work 70 hours a week to complete the project faster or is the normal 40 hours okay? 

I think, In general, Bigfootsocks is correct. That is mainly because Residential towers are easier to design for, have lower loads, are generally shorter, and are generally less complex projects than a tall highrise office. 

• Like 4

I'm gonna take the structural engineer's words as fact and totally not because he said I was right.. ;)

Fernz you are right though, 2929 did take awhile but I think that's because of the point Purdue made; taller buildings require more foundation work.

Sovereign also took longer because, and I'm pulling this out of my ass, it was a tower combined with a mid-rise apartment building on a full block. There has to be a lot more work done to complete something on that scale, correct?

I guess a good way to find out is to see how long Catalyst takes as I believe it has a same basic structure as Sovereign.

Yes, I agree taller buildings have stronger bones and take longer to build. That does not mean all office towers take longer to build than residential. The added time caused by the higher live loads is offset by the added amount in interior build out.

Another obvious point to consider is floor plates. These days, a 25,000 sf plate is typical for office, whereas residential can get away with smaller floor plates.

My point was that a blanket statement about use is not possible, there are too many variables.

• Like 2

1111 took a while to get started but is moving up smartly. Same thing will probably happen with this one.

I'm sort of hoping the pullback in oil prices will put a hiatus on the "there is a shortage of everything" problem that Houston has had for the past year. It will be interesting to see how significant the impacts are from there...

Yes, I visited the park a few weeks ago and was told they are replacing the turf.

I was just looking at the oxblue construction cam for 609 Main and I zoomed into Minute Maid since the roof is open. 

It looks like they have something covering the outfield. Are they changing out the surface at Minute Maid?

I use a 13 year old Canon 1Ds body for 95% of my shots.  I also use a 1D Mark IIn which is 10 years old.  The wider pics are multiple shots combined into one large shot. The zoom shots were done with a 70-200L with a 1.4 on it. 

You can also use all of Canon's high end EF zoom lenses with it.

If you've ever wondered what the webcam looks like:

15971294960_d213c021b2_b.jpg

• Like 7

People have been complaining since the downgrade of Hotel Alessandra that we won't get an "iconic building" out of this current building cycle, but I've longed thought that this will be that building. Sure it wasn't designed by a "starchitect" but it does have visual impact and will look nice in the skyline.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2