They're still working 7 days a week on this, starting at 7:30am or so.  When I walked by this afternoon (a Sunday!) I counted 36 people on the site.  It's astonishing how thick the rebar is -- if you look closely, you can see workers walking around underneath/inside the rebar.  Looks like they are getting close to finishing the rebar placement, so I'd think the mat pour can't be far away.  It's going to be an insanely long pour, I am sure.  (click for higher resolution)

nIJ2PUrl.jpg

• Like 7

Sunday morning?  Don't they usually do those overnight to avoid the heat?

You can control mix design temperatures a multitude of ways. But if that is in fact a monolithic pour...the time of day won't matter much. That pour will push 140 degrees at night. The day time pour will reduce their working time due to heat, but at the bottom of the form, that won't matter. I would opine that theyre timing the start of their pour, so that the end is at night, thus maximizing working time for the crews finishing at the top. 

Hope we get some good photos of the pour... Thats a massive one. My biggest concrete pour is 500 cubic yards. This looks like 15,000. 

• Like 1

You can control mix design temperatures a multitude of ways. But if that is in fact a monolithic pour...the time of day won't matter much. That pour will push 140 degrees at night. The day time pour will reduce their working time due to heat, but at the bottom of the form, that won't matter. I would opine that theyre timing the start of their pour, so that the end is at night, thus maximizing working time for the crews finishing at the top. 

Hope we get some good photos of the pour... Thats a massive one. My biggest concrete pour is 500 cubic yards. This looks like 15,000. 

Thanks.   I was hoping Sunday morning was wrong because I will be out of town and I really wanted to go downtown to see it.

A number 11 bar is 5.31 lbs per linear foot. 

25,000 tonnes would be roughly equivalent to 9.4 million lineal feet of No. 11 bar. A standard Houston block is 330ft by 330 ft. Even if I had 1 foot spacing, both ways, and 2 mats that adds up to 435600 lineal feet- or 1,000 tonnes. 25,000 tons, seems like too much even for the full tower. B/c they likely be using Number 11 bars after the first few floors. 

No 18 bars are 13.6 lbs per linear foot. Based on the pictures it doesnt look like No. 18 bars to me. But I could be wrong! I'm totally playing armchair engineer right now without any knowledge on the load calculations for the foundation. Thanks for the pictures again though... keep em coming!

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 2

From Hines' fb page

609 Main at Texas, Hines next iconic building in downtown Houston, is 3 days away from the “mat pour.” On Saturday, 180 concrete trucks will line up to continuously pour 14,000 cubic yards of concrete for more than 17 hours. The 48-story office tower is scheduled for completion in early 2017. http://bit.ly/1mlG2J2

• Like 1

I wish the oxblue construction cam featured 24 hour live flow. If I remember correctly it seems that you only get a shot every once in a while every day, but live feed would be interesting to see. They do have a feature that allows you to watch the time lapse images but I don't think there will be enough of them to see the trucks going in and out. I wish I could be there to watch but will be at work.

I'm really not sure how their cameras work but I do know you don't see movement in the images. Anyone know for sure.