From the webcam it looks like the tower portion is quite deep now! Seems like they are digging so fast that they have at least partially filled in the hole of the Texas building. Nate you think you could give us an update this week? Thanks!

This should be about the same as BG Group Place, as both include a two story garage and probably need a similar foundation, but I don't know officially.  I have no idea how thick the concrete mat will be, but again it should probably be similar to BG Group Place due to a similar building size and composition.

They have put a lot of dirt back in the hole from the old Texas building to shore up the walls (its foundation is still in place) while they put in the outer wall for the new building just outside the old foundation.  I've been watching them use a giant auger to take dirt out from just outside the old foundation, and then they put rebar and concrete deep in there.  My guess is once the new wall is in place, they will probably dig up that dirt and remove the old walls.

• Like 1

From the webcam it looks like the tower portion is quite deep now! Seems like they are digging so fast that they have at least partially filled in the hole of the Texas building. Nate you think you could give us an update this week? Thanks!

I'll wander over there today at some point.

I did notice a long line of big dump trucks on Texas Street earlier in the week. They are defiitely in the hauling dirt out phase.

They have definitely hauled out a huge amount of dirt. After you un-compact what filled the hole here previously, I can't imagine the volume of the pile they are creating.

They are hauling off the piling drilling crane too.

2q8dn6c.jpg

35ksw3t.jpg

15f6ezq.jpg

• Like 6

It's funny how some towers seemingly shoot out of the ground instantaneously (Macy's site) and others, like this one, will be months before we get above street level. This will be a great building. I just hope I don't "Ashby Highrise it"--meaning it has taken so long that I lose interest and don't care if they ever finish it. Anybody else feel that way?

Anybody else feel that way?

No? Ashby is a mediocre design that's barely over 20 stories, in the middle of a neighborhood.. This will be the most significant addition to the downtown skyline since '87 or so, both in height and architecturally speaking.

• Like 4

That is the old rendering when it was 41 floors.  It is taller then that when finished at 49 floors.

I'm just trying to show what I think the location of that rendering is from, whether it's old or new.

I'm just trying to show what I think the location of that rendering is from, whether it's old or new.

BTW, I think Triton's arrow shows the correct relative position, even if a more current rendering would raise the roof and therefore have the arrow another inch or so up. 

• Like 1

Yet more dump trucks lined up this morning hauing off dirt.  The Fannin/Capitol corner seems to have reached aspot here they ave leveled it off. I am still interested to see what they do with the old basement walls. 

Just a guess, but maybe they are keeping it intact until they have some kind of structure to tie in to the Magnolia tunnel. Any tunnel to the Chase center could be a level deeper than that, and might need to be to get under the rail line.

• Like 1

Yet more dump trucks lined up this morning hauing off dirt. The Fannin/Capitol corner seems to have reached aspot here they ave leveled it off. I am still interested to see what they do with the old basement walls.

How far down do they have it in that corner? 30 feet or so? Seems like they have it as deep as they are going to go with only 2 levels below ground. Also it looked like they had assembled a large crawler crane or something on site.

How far down do they have it in that corner? 30 feet or so? Seems like they have it as deep as they are going to go with only 2 levels below ground. Also it looked like they had assembled a large crawler crane or something on site.

They have at least another level to go under that corner.

And yes, a crane did show up.

14lhn2q.jpg

They were also pouring concrete.

• Like 8

They have a bunch of rebar that they are ready to lower in to the hole. I'd bet that's why the crane showed up.

Perhaps the mud mat layer creates an even surface for the base layer of reinforced concrete?

Will await Purdue's explanation.

By the way - that rendering of level 47/48 shows the east side of level 47.  Level 48 is a full floor that is ~23,000sf.  The stacking plan that is shown is very old and does not represent the loft floor that is now part of the project at the top.

• Like 1

Nate99 is essentially correct.

Mud-mat is a non-structural concrete. Many times a flowable fill, lower strength concrete. It can be used for leveling, soil stabilization, tracking, etc.

The reason it appears to me, to be a mud mat, is that it's A) unreinforced... which essentially limits loads to pedestrian traffic.  and B) They have reinforcement staged next to it. I would opine that once they complete the mud mat, they'll start placing reinforcement down for the larger foundation structure. 

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 2