The last two levels are within the crown; can't be used as office space. So 47 usable floors, 49 total.

Setting the record straight. Thanks! Wonder why the development map has that typo.

AWE INSPIRING!  can you just imagine the opulence vs glamour..  that shall be incorporated throughout texas avenue once this edifice officially arrives, as per all of it's conceptual splendor.  

861psq2k3utx4hkr.jpg

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

i thought it was like 757' according to some plans that were leaked?

and HoustonTexasJack, the article when the tower broke ground/was officially announced did in fact mention LED lighting up the sides and in the crown.

Fist pump! The view from the Juice Box will be all the better for it.

861psq2k3utx4hkr.jpg

I really like that the tower is on the south side of the lot. This allows us to now have a view of the Magnolia Hotel - which was blocked by the old tower before. The views from the Magnolia also got a lot better! The greenscape roof of the garage and the tower on the South side preserves views of downtown from that side!

• Like 1

Nate if you don't mind could you get a couple pictures of the site this week? I drove by earlier this morning, but was running some errands so I didn't have time to run up to the top of the garage to get a good view. From what I could see they made some good progress digging and were hard at work as usual. The dang webcam is so high up its hard to get a good look at what's going on on the site. Thanks in advance Nate! :]

Edited by ClutchCity

Nate if you don't mind could you get a couple pictures of the site this week? I drove by earlier this morning, but was running some errands so I didn't have time to run up to the top of the garage to get a good view. From what I could see they made some good progress digging and were hard at work as usual. The dang webcam is so high up its hard to get a good look at what's going on on the site. Thanks in advance Nate! :]

After the foundation is poured what I'm curious to see are the tunnel connections.  We know it will connect across Main to the Chase Center, but will there be any eastward extension to the Magnolia or Texaco blocks?

Funny you should mention that. 

It is hard to see, but if you look in the picture here, just beside the Bobcat in the shadow on the left, there is a cut in to what used to be the basement wall of the Texas Tower pointed directly at the Magnolia, so there could be something there. 

You can also see where they are chipping away at another basement foundation that is to the South of the now former Texas Tower that belonged to a building that must have been demolished a long time ago, like Pre-McDonalds. 

2yyb6ub.jpg

Some more:

ifbadf.jpg

2ykxtvo.jpg

5yg1kx.jpg

I also saw on Swamplot where someone else had the same idea of getting a pic of the Gulf Building while it was temporarily fully visible from that angle. 

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 2

Driven concrete piles... its gonna be nice and loud on those city blocks for the next few days. 

You can't hear much apart from the construction noise anywhere around the block these days.  The big excavator mounted jackhammers were doing their thing on the old foundations. 

Funny you should mention that. 

It is hard to see, but if you look in the picture here, just beside the Bobcat in the shadow on the left, there is a cut in to what used to be the basement wall of the Texas Tower pointed directly at the Magnolia, so there could be something there. 

There was indeed at one time a tunnel connecting the Post-Dispatch Building (now Magnolia Hotel) with the Sterling Building (recently known as Texas Tower).    In fact, it was one of the very first tunnels (probably the very first) in downtown Houston, having been built in the 1920s.   Of course, that tells us nothing about the future intentions of the current owners of either the Magnolia or 609 Main.  I'm not sure how important it is for a hotel to be attached to the tunnel system.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how important it is for a hotel to be attached to the tunnel system.

I would think it would be considered an amenity.  The Hyatt, Four Seasons, and Doubletree all are connected to the tunnels and/or the gerbil tubes, and the JW Marriott at 806 Main will be.

There was indeed at one time a tunnel connecting the Post-Dispatch Building (now Magnolia Hotel) with the Sterling Building (recently known as Texas Tower).    In fact, it was one of the very first tunnels (probably the very first) in downtown Houston, having been built in the 1920s.   Of course, that tells us nothing about the future intentions of the current owners of either the Magnolia or 609 Main.  I'm not sure how important it is for a hotel to be attached to the tunnel system.

I didn't know that but that is interesting.  There was also a tunnel connecting the parking garage adjacent to the Magnolia Hotel with the Gibraltar Savings building across Capitol (now demolished).  You can still see the door in the foundation pit.  So it would make sense to link 609 Main via the Magnolia and the garage to the eventual Texaco highrise.  

• Like 1

I would think it would be considered an amenity.  The Hyatt, Four Seasons, and Doubletree all are connected to the tunnels and/or the gerbil tubes, and the JW Marriott at 806 Main will be.

Might be.  On the other hand, none of the Lancaster, Sam Houston, Icon, Courtyard, Residence Inn, Hilton Americas, Westin, Magnolia (currently) or Embassy Suites are connected; and none of the Holiday Inn, Hotel Allesandra, Springwoods Suites, Hampton Inn, or Homewood Suites will be (and I'm skeptical about the Marriott Marquis being hooked into the tunnel system).  Their disconnection might be an accident of location, but the 3 connected hotels' being connected might be nothing more than an accident of location as well.

Will be interesting to see if Magnolia gets connected (and even more interesting to know who pays for it, if they indeed get connected).

Edited by Houston19514

I didn't know that but that is interesting.  There was also a tunnel connecting the parking garage adjacent to the Magnolia Hotel with the Gibraltar Savings building across Capitol (now demolished).  You can still see the door in the foundation pit.  So it would make sense to link 609 Main via the Magnolia and the garage to the eventual Texaco highrise.  

Also interesting.  And the Texaco developer did say last year that they would be connected to BG Group Place and to another high rise being developed to the north (obviously 609 Main).  Perhaps it will take the route you suggest. 

It may happen that workers wanting to go to the west side of the CBD, instead of hiking a loop under Texaco and BG Group Place, will just walk outside and take the street!

What is this "outside" of which you speak?  True mole people would never do such a thing.