You got there fast! LOL

I wander around DT frequently. I even go up in the garage across from the old Macy's to take good pics of that site, so I'm not sure why it did not occur to me to do as you suggested earlier. When I read your post, I decided a quick stroll was in order. 

I wonder if there valuable things found in these type demolitions or crimes uncovered?  Also legally, is it treasure trove and the construction guy can keep it in the case of finding a valuable.  

Sure.  A project we worked on that involved the demolition of an old bank vault to convert into an arts space turned up a hidden room (maybe Prohibition era?).  There wasn't anything particularly valuable inside - but it was fascinating none the less.  I'm sure there are times when items of note or value do in fact turn up in old rooms/buildings that time forgot.

Sure.  A project we worked on that involved the demolition of an old bank vault to convert into an arts space turned up a hidden room (maybe Prohibition era?).  There wasn't anything particularly valuable inside - but it was fascinating none the less.  I'm sure there are times when items of note or value do in fact turn up in old rooms/buildings that time forgot.

arche, is this you?

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 6

Lemme see if this worked...

It did, ha. Quality is not the best, so sorry about that. 

What you see is the excavator breaking through the floor in to a basement for the first time. He picked up a big steel beam off the trash heap and dropped it on the floor support beam two or three times and got it to buckle. I managed to be up there when he was doing it. 

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 6

Awesome video Nate! The Texas Tower really did go down fast, it's nice to see Hines is moving along quickly as usual!

Thanks. 

I'm wondering if they will have to fill in the basement with rubble a bit to get over to the part of the building still standing closer to Fannin. 

We should find out over the next couple of days. 

Aren't they going 2 levels down on the whole block for parking? Maybe they will fill it in while they wait to truck it out since they have a lot of digging to do.

Haha and totally misread that. They have a good bit of room on the Fannin side to get an excavator in as well so they have a lot of options.

Edited by ClutchCity

Aren't they going 2 levels down on the whole block for parking? Maybe they will fill it in while they wait to truck it out since they have a lot of digging to do.

Haha and totally misread that. They have a good bit of room on the Fannin side to get an excavator in as well so they have a lot of options.

They look to be digging fairly deep all the way around, so it will all go eventually, but with the crane where it is now, they would have to do some creative excavation. Maybe after they take it down.

Just when I thought they were almost done tearing down the Texas Tower, it appears there is one more floor to go -- the basement!  You can kind of see it from the construction camera.

I thought the building would be gone this week, but if they have to excavate the basement, that may take until next week.  The first floor is about 3/4 gone now.

Just checked the webcam.   Texas Tower is completely gone, down to the ground.  (And there is definitely some sort of activity on the Marriott Marquis site... can't identify what's going on, but it's towards the center of the property, so I don't think it's related to the Metro Rail construction.)

• Like 1

Just checked the webcam.   Texas Tower is completely gone, down to the ground.  (And there is definitely some sort of activity on the Marriott Marquis site... can't identify what's going on, but it's towards the center of the property, so I don't think it's related to the Metro Rail construction.)

Yep. The last upright piece was the frame of the first floor that paralleled Fannin. They cut the beams and pulled it over either yesterday late or early today. 

25a6w7p.jpg

Also - this may be the new crane pad

2uzf2mu.jpg

• Like 4

In case you didn't notice in the photos that I see were just posted, when I walked by earlier today the crane was coming down.  Not surprised, since they didn't even use the crane Thursday or Friday.  Time to finish digging the basement!