I know some of you have complained about a lack of renderings of the back (southeast) side of the tower, since most renderings just show the front (northwest) side in detail.

I was at the Hines office today so I took some photos of the model. Unfortunately, it was too bright today so the lighting was bad, so I may have to come back again on an overcast day.

For any of these photos, you can click for a higher-resolution version.

First, a full view of the back (southeast/Fannin) side:

R2d6ZSJl.jpg

Next, a closeup of the lobby on the southeast side:

APPxi2ml.jpg

Next, a lower view of the front (northwest/Main) side:

VIiVXwQl.jpg

Next, a closeup of the lobby on the northwest side:

wb2arVTl.jpg

Finally, a closeup of the side of the patio:

bzWyBuyl.jpg

• Like 8

^Agreed.  A 50 floor highrise in a town where there are 2-3 other buildings taller in the immediate vicinity will not "change Houston"

We're all glad its coming, and its a decent design (but far from being "great").  Along with that Hines seems determined to make it more interactive within the context of the street grid/pedestrian use.  Personally the "back" is rather bland, and now we all know why that view has been held back for so long.

But any highrise presented in the context of being alone looks odd.  I think this building will be a nice addition to our skyline and will present an interesting view for the folks who take I-10 into town.

• Like 1

The orientation of the street grid downtown (angled in regards to true north) makes any highrise difficult to stand out---that is unless it's 102 stories. But even then, it'll be a tall stick coming out of a cluster of other buildings. Unless anything is built on the other east side of 59, you're not going to expand the skyline or get much of anything to be prominent from any view of the skyline unless coming in from the east on I-10.

Edited by wxman

My reference towards the "grid" or "street" was meant on the pedestrian scale.  Not actual orientation.  609 will allow greater leasable space and therefore more available interactions with the pedestrian.

609 will be quite visable from the I-10/I-69 interchange.

Some of yall are taking my comment a little too literal. The fact the design is anything outside of a simple box is enough to boost better development downtown. This building is beautiful and is going to really be set apart as something to really look at when its built. I think out of towners during the Super Bowl will be even more impressed. JMO

Some of yall are taking my comment a little too literal. The fact the design is anything outside of a simple box is enough to boost better development downtown. This building is beautiful and is going to really be set apart as something to really look at when its built. I think out of towners during the Super Bowl will be even more impressed. JMO

Only if they're from Dallas.

• 2 weeks later...

They were pouring a whole lot of concrete for it on Friday.  It's surprisingly well built for something that will only be up a few months.  They've also put more lifts around the side of the building.

I was surprised they didn't build the crane on a part of the block that won't need to be excavated for the new building, because this means it will have to be torn down and a new crane built later for construction.

Today they have a very large mobile crane, which I assume they are using to build a more permanent construction crane (you can see the beginnings of the white scaffolding right by the old building).  I'll try to get a better photo of it later today, but I just thought I'd share this one right away (click to enlarge):

SYfSTGTl.jpg

• Like 8