ChannelTwoNews

609 Main at Texas: Hines Next Downtown Tower

Oops, I meant northwest side. Northern Main to be exact.

Of all the space downtown, why are developers honing in on a particular section? Southeast downtown is begging for development.

I am 100% sure that the answer is that these lots tie into the existing tunnel system. That is the difference between a Class A building and a Class B. Most thought that Trammel Crowe were takling a HUGE risk building Discovery Tower off of the tunner system. The proximity to Discovery Green paid off and that is what makes it a Class A Building.

I am 100% sure that the answer is that these lots tie into the existing tunnel system. That is the difference between a Class A building and a Class B. Most thought that Trammel Crowe were takling a HUGE risk building Discovery Tower off of the tunner system. The proximity to Discovery Green paid off and that is what makes it a Class A Building.

Discovery Tower is attached to 5 Houston Center via skywalk, so functionally, I see it as attached. You can get to/from the tunnels without going outside. 

Not sure if there is a stricter definition of Class A/B though. 

Edited by Nate99

I drove past downtown yesterday from 45 north and this building is going to make quite the impression on the north face skyline. #excited

Wish I took a photo of it today, but someone really needs to get a shot of the existing tower. All windows are gone. You can see through most of the top floor(s?). At this pace, I really expect this to be down by March. They are moving rather quickly.

Here's a photo from 5 minutes ago, Triton. There's a bit more sky visible on the left and right sides of the upper floors than there used to be! Click for more detail:

2dX9wjjl.jpg

• Like 2

why would additions to an existing campus be any sort of qualifier? building development is building development.

I think everyone must be suffering from project fatigue. Everyone is getting so short and angry.
I visit a lot of different types of site and I must say there is more one up man ship and attacking going on here than

most of the other serious blogs. Not counting the crap you see in the comment sections of the paper.

I know these are life and death issues everyone is discussing here but I think the sometimes we take it a little too serious.

• Like 3

I think everyone must be suffering from project fatigue. Everyone is getting so short and angry.

I visit a lot of different types of site and I must say there is more one up man ship and attacking going on here than

most of the other serious blogs. Not counting the crap you see in the comment sections of the paper.

I know these are life and death issues everyone is discussing here but I think the sometimes we take it a little too serious.

You shut your mouth when youre talking to me!

;)

no for real, comments sections of the paper are like reading a social experiment on what people used to say outloud. Steer clear. 

• Like 1

It is only really bad when we are dealing with skyscrapers... everything else is water under the bridge apparently!

the first four wards have their dividing lines at Main and Texas, so that's hy the quadrants are divided there.

why redraw the map....lol

Becaus the physical boundaries have rebounded downtown. The highways redefined what is considered downtown.

Off topic but have you meet some of those weirdos who call most areas in the loop downtown?

Becaus the physical boundaries have rebounded downtown. The highways redefined what is considered downtown.

Off topic but have you meet some of those weirdos who call most areas in the loop downtown?

Some jerks at work think Kirby at 59 is k

Downtown. $*@&@%!.

... and then there are those who don't know much about downtown, but they do know one thing for sure:  they don't like it and wish it would go away.

They put up a picture of the rendering on the construction fence. I hope that doesn't mummy curse the project like that picture of the Scamrock Hotel did. 

I thought I got it in the shot, but did not.

Edited by Nate99

you did get it in the shot. you can barely see the rendering in the lower right.. has any of the building come down yet or are they still gutting it? kind of hard to tell from this angle if they have removed any of the roof.

you did get it in the shot. you can barely see the rendering in the lower right.. has any of the building come down yet or are they still gutting it? kind of hard to tell from this angle if they have removed any of the roof.

I meant to say, I thought I got the whole thing in the frame, but you can just see it, I think it is new.

They have started taking pieces of the exterior off. It looks like they cover it up with the black cloth to keep debris from flying while they are actively removing structure. You can see bare steel from certain angles. 

OT, but it's too bad that they just finished an excellent restoration on that building on the right yet they are still trying to lease it. 

• Like 2

Apart from that hideous glass monkey wrench, that is a nice shot. The different color architecture is interesting. Even the parking garage is more appealing to me than that glass monster.

Hmmm, I guess 609 main will make the monkey wrench fit in better and push all these intersesting buildings closer to the wrecking ball as New will be what fits in.

The top floor is now gone, and yesterday afternoon they carried away most of the metal structure (click for higher resolution):

IMoFqLql.jpg

It looks like they have two large pieces of destruction equipment on the roof, one with a shovel (not seen in this photo) and one with a jackhammer (in the middle below the beam that's about to be removed).

• Like 3

Very interesting. Does anyone know why they chose this method of demolition rather than an implosion?

The speculation was that teh proximity to the church across the intersection and the Magnolia across Fannin precluded implosion. I'm not sure what the minimum setback needs to be for a building of this size. 

The way they are going about it looks quite expensive, but I guess it is all in the project economics. 

takes the same anount of time to gut, implode, and clean up a building as it does to disassemble it, plus, you can do other things on site while disassembling the building.

• Like 1

More opportunities for recycling of materials I would imagine also, but very interesting technique. I've never seen it done quite like this, however they did take the tower down on the southern end of downtown just a couple of years ago in somewhat similar fashion, I think Cherry did that one, one floor at a time.

More opportunities for recycling of materials I would imagine also, but very interesting technique. I've never seen it done quite like this, however they did take the tower down on the southern end of downtown just a couple of years ago in somewhat similar fashion, I think Cherry did that one, one floor at a time.

The Sheraton came down from the top. There is a thread on it in the crater Houston subforum. 

Cost was $8 million according to an article, which probably included the modifications to use the top as a surface lot and keep the underground parking functional. 

It had another building < 50' away, so imploding it was probably never going to happen, even if they did not want to retain the garage underneath. 

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like they're removing about a floor a week. I wonder if this delays the March excavation start.

Seems about right. 

Maybe they'll pick up speed as they get better at it and, once they get down to the last 3 or 4, they'll probably be able to pick it apart with heavy equipment from the ground. 

Seems about right.

Maybe they'll pick up speed as they get better at it and, once they get down to the last 3 or 4, they'll probably be able to pick it apart with heavy equipment from the ground.

They already seem to be picking up speed after taking a little while to take the roof off. I was also thinking that once they ground it down and got it closer to the base that they can get some more equipment in there to finish it quickly. Also any chance that since the Texas Tower is where a portion of the garage will be(guessing that would require less excavation/prep) that they can start excavation of the core office section even if there's still 10 or so floors left to dismantle by March?

• Like 1

I walked by there today and you could hear big crashes of what sounded like debris falling inside the building. I wonder if they punched a hole through the interior floors that they are now dumping stuff down through as they go. The excavator stationed by the hole on the south side of the building seems to be the only thing capable of taking the debris away, that is, none of it seems to be taken out by the scaffolvators. 

Mast climbers (or scaffolvators lol) load ratings arent that high. If i remember correctly,  heavy mast climbers can get you around 8000-10,000 lbs. of rated load capacity ---Thats not a lot. 66 cubic feet of concrete is 10,000 lbs. Mast climbers arent that fast either; 

It would be faster to load debris by demoing it and shoveling into a dumpster, fly it out (with the crane) or dump it into a premade hole... (like an elevator shaft) with a dumpster at the bottom. 

• Like 1

@ rechlin:  (Tim Allen grunting noises...)

• Like 3

In the first picture, what is the building across from the Texas tower? It's very pretty, but it looks like some of the windows are boarded up. Is it abandoned?

In the first picture, what is the building across from the Texas tower? It's very pretty, but it looks like some of the windows are boarded up. Is it abandoned?

Magnolia Hotel

I think he must be seeing the reflection of the Texas Tower in the windows. The Magnolia is open and in good shape. 

• Like 1

Yes, it looks like they've cut a couple more floors of it since my last update. They've experimented with different tools on the Bobcat; for a while this week they were using the jackhammer instead of the shovel. Also it's been amusing to see a porta-potty on the roof of the building. Here's a photo of them hard at work on Wednesday (click for full size):

Wz3FTMel.jpg

And here's a photo (again, click for high resolution) of what it looked like late Friday afternoon:

kpTrtuql.jpg

• Like 3