If you're talking about white collar workers, then I might say the number might be just a BIT high. However, I don't think this is a sign that sky scrapers won't be in use in the future.

It could just be that if you're running a larger company, a place MUST exist for employees to gather for a variety of reasons.

I read on twitter that in the near future, 47% of people will be working from home on at least a part-time basis. That's seems high to me. But if true, that does not bode well for skyscrapers in sprawling places like Houston, imo.

And Popular Mechanics told me I'd have a personal jetpack by the year 2000 that I'm still waiting for.

These kinds of predictions are a dime a dozen and aren't worth half that. A lot of office jobs COULD be done at home for the past 10 years - but they haven't and probably won't. Bosses don't won't to give up control and they don't trust their employees - the old adage - when the cat's away.....

The bosses are all afraid the employees will spend all their time on Haif or something if they are not watching over their shoulders.

• Like 1

This is actually better news than a 40-50 storey office skyscraper. The longer the downtown market sits and gets speculated upon, the higher they rise (assuming the local economy remains steady).

I was actually hoping the next downtown tower would come from Skanska or Brookfield (except for the inconvenience of construction) to be honest. Maybe even a starchitect design..

Edited by infinite_jim

This is actually better news than a 40-50 storey office skyscraper. The longer the downtown market sits and gets speculated upon, the higher they rise (assuming the local economy remains steady).

I was actually hoping the next downtown tower would come from Skanska or Brookfield (except for the inconvenience of construction) to be honest. Maybe even a starchitect design..

I'd say our best chance at good architecture comes from Hines. Brookfield's current projects are all boxes. they somewhat sleek looking, but very plain. --> http://brookfieldofficeproperties.com/content/portfolio/development-8943.html

I work mostly from home, because it's my office that is too distracting. I am also a night person and my most productive hours are 12am-6am.

Some people work better at home and sometimes I can work better at work when less people are around (late night or weekends) but you need the structure of the office for many jobs.

Edited by JJVilla

lol So I guess nobody knows? Just odd to have such a specific number as "48" floating around and then have it turn into an industrial park

Kinkaid already answered your question - the 48 story tower is what Hines has planned. The industrial park and the proposed cbd tower are not mutually exclusive; Hines is quite capable of developing both. We all just assumed that the "big" announcement from Gerald would be in regards to the tower, not the industrial park.

• Like 3

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/04-10-12-gerald-d-hines-tries-to-bring-developers-and-academics-together-touts-green-building-/

Gerald didn't mention downtown in the interview, but did mention a couple developments in uptown

We have a residential project next to the Waterwall park. We expect to start that project this summer," he said. "The site became available and we thought it was ideal for residential. There's a park as well as retail and restaurants all in walking distance, which is what people want. It was a perfect fit."

Hines added that his company just revealed that it is building a 950-acre industrial park off I-45 at Beltway 8 and also is negotiating another office project in the Galleria area.

Not sure where the residential will fit near the waterwall with 3100 post oak and the skanska tower being built.

also I wonder if the 48 story rumored tower could be the gallereia office project?

http://houston.cultu...reen-building-/

Gerald didn't mention downtown in the interview, but did mention a couple developments in uptown

Not sure where the residential will fit near the waterwall with 3100 post oak and the skanska tower being built.

also I wonder if the 48 story rumored tower could be the gallereia office project?

There's a big empty lot just South of the Transco Tower parking garage. It's where the Turnberry high rise was going to be bulit.

http://houston.cultu...reen-building-/

the residential was announced many months ago... nothing new there. the 48 story building is for their cbd block, that much i know. perhaps when it gets off the ground it is no longer 48 stories, but that's what they have planned.

as for their other galleria office project, it's a good one but that's all i'm going to say.

• Like 1

Spill it, SWT.

I haven't seen or heard about a Galleria project for Hines, but I would love it if it were to happen. It seems as if the generic boxes snuck through (Skanska, Redstone) while the architecturally interesting projects didn't or haven't gotten off the ground (Four Oaks, Blvd Place, River Oaks District)

• 1 month later...

From Nancy Sarnoff's Sunday Chronicle blub about Hines new tower in Chicago:

http://www.chron.com/business/sarnoff/article/Sarnoff-Waterfront-community-to-see-new-wave-of-3570382.php

"Houston-based Hines has been itching to start a new project in its hometown.

At the minimum, the real estate developer has blueprints for luxury apartments in the Galleria area and a new skyscraper in the central business district."

From Nancy Sarnoff's Sunday Chronicle blub about Hines new tower in Chicago:

http://www.chron.com...-of-3570382.php

"Houston-based Hines has been itching to start a new project in its hometown.

At the minimum, the real estate developer has blueprints for luxury apartments in the Galleria area and a new skyscraper in the central business district."

I wonder how long blue prints for downtown have been sitting around? Hines is big enough that they will just sit on it until the time is right. I don't necessarily believe that b/c they have blue prints that building it is imminent. Hope I'm wrong.

I wonder how long blue prints for downtown have been sitting around? Hines is big enough that they will just sit on it until the time is right. I don't necessarily believe that b/c they have blue prints that building it is imminent. Hope I'm wrong.

Here is how I see it, Hines is on one of the teams pursuing the Houston First convention center project. If they win that job then the other Downtown project will probably go on hold, if they don't get selected for the job then I could see them going public on their tower before Convention Center stuff gets traction. Either way I think we will see Hines go to market with something in the 4th quarter with construction starting sometime in 2013.

Here is how I see it, Hines is on one of the teams pursuing the Houston First convention center project. If they win that job then the other Downtown project will probably go on hold, if they don't get selected for the job then I could see them going public on their tower before Convention Center stuff gets traction. Either way I think we will see Hines go to market with something in the 4th quarter with construction starting sometime in 2013.

Why do you think they would put the office tower on hold if they get the hotel project?

Why do you think they would put the office tower on hold if they get the hotel project?

my thoughts exactly. hines has projects going on simultaneously around the world. one project will not hinder the other. each will progress (or not) independently.

My guess would be because the RFQ for the convention hotel wasn't just for a hotel. It was also looking for folks to develop a garage, some mixed use, and even possibly an office component.

I have no idea what Hines' bid was, but if it did include office space, then it would be unlikely that they'd compete with themselves for tenants. While the downtown market is faring pretty well, it isn't faring that well.

• Like 1

My guess would be because the RFQ for the convention hotel wasn't just for a hotel. It was also looking for folks to develop a garage, some mixed use, and even possibly an office component.

I have no idea what Hines' bid was, but if it did include office space, then it would be unlikely that they'd compete with themselves for tenants. While the downtown market is faring pretty well, it isn't faring that well.

Exactly, the proposals included mixed use and office components. Each team that proposed had different levels of self financing. We all know that Hines could bankroll two big jobs in the same town, but I just don't see them doing it in this economy. The last thing Hines would do is compete against themselves.

• Like 2

My thinking is that the hotel would not include much office space, which would not hinder Hines from developing a separate tower. We don't have another building in all of Houston that is a massive mixed-use building.

the residential was announced many months ago... nothing new there. the 48 story building is for their cbd block, that much i know. perhaps when it gets off the ground it is no longer 48 stories, but that's what they have planned.

as for their other galleria office project, it's a good one but that's all i'm going to say.

just putting some pieces together from another thread, I might guess Apache building something in the Galleria area?