10 hours ago, JoninATX said:

Liking the lighting scheme on top! Does anyone know if the lighting going to be permanent? 

It was planned for the building. Renders & vids show the entire crown and side recesses lit up. Last night, we only saw a portion of this lit up. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

It was planned for the building. Renders & vids show the entire crown and side recesses lit up. Last night, we only saw a portion of this lit up. 

Yes, only a portion of the crown lights were being tested last night. I personally saw them testing the lighting in the east/west recesses months ago as they were still installing the glass on the higher floors  - Rest assured there's more to come!

I remember the vertical lighting within the recesses being so much brighter than I was anticipating - certainly brighter than what we saw last night. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Looking at this photo I am glad that the plan for the fancy light rail station didn't go through. Less is more.

Agree that the 5 story light rail station would have been too much but I really liked the rain funnel station design (Snohetta) and thought it was understated. Would have integrated well with 609 main too.

http://architangent.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/SNOHETTA_01_resized-1024x579.jpg

• Like 3

609 Main's lighting scheme is underwhelming thus far, but I think they're still tweaking/perfecting it.

However, has anyone checked out the brand new lighting scheme on the old Continental Airlines building 1600 Smith?

FABULOUS!!!!!!!! I'm overly impressed! 

Edited by 'Stonian
Typo
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, 'Stonian said:

609 Main's lighting scheme is underwhelming thus far, but I think they're still tweaking/perfecting it.

However, has anyone checked out the brand new lighting scheme on the old Continental Airlines building 1600 Smith?

On a scale of Pre-Superbowl White Lighting<-----------> Continental Airlines Logo Era

where does this impressive lighting lie? 

Edited by TowermaniacXD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 'Stonian said:

You could get a much better idea with a video, but here's from my balcony now. It cycles through colors rainbow style like the trash can building in the med center. Pretty nifty.

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 10.58.14 PM.png

• Like 9

2 hours ago, TowermaniacXD said:

On a scale of Pre-Superbowl White Lighting<-----------> Continental Airlines Logo Era

where does this impressive lighting lie? 

It blows both out of the box!

Monarch, sorry I couldn't take a pic while driving 70 mph. lol - I was caught off-guard but so impressed that I circled the downtown loop a second time to be sure I wasn't day-dreaming. lol

I really don't want to overly hype it up and it end up being a let down when you guys finally see it but its probably the 2nd best lighting on a Houston building EVER - we'll planned and thought out.

The only other lighting scheme I would place above it would be the old 30-story Art Deco Chase building - & man, if that one was 50-60 stories tall it would be much more appreciated by all. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, corbs315 said:

You could get a much better idea with a video, but here's from my balcony now. It cycles through colors rainbow style like the trash can building in the med center. Pretty nifty.

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 10.58.14 PM.png

You guys have to see the Allen pkwy side to really get the full effect - I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mfastx said:

So I'm assuming these buildings are lit up nicely just for the Super Bowl and will go back to being dark and bland right after? 

This building is typically lit up year round so I would expect it to be a nightly occurrence. 

I will try to get a pic from Eleanor Tinsley park tonight. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nativehoustonion said:

It is a very ugly building, but this is the nicest it has looked.  Soon United Airlines is is moving from 1600 Smith to 609 Main.  I wish we could light up the skyline like Dallas.  Meow!

I totally disagree, it actually has always been one of my favorites! It has a crown, and multiple profiles with the stepped sections. It can look like totally different buildings depending on the angle.

& chill with Houston/Dallas cat fights please. 

• Like 6