Gulfgate Mall History

Ashikaga

When we went to Gulfgate Shopping Center back in the early 1960s, I remember going down some stairs to an underground bowling alley. I also remember my mother buying groceries in a Weingarten's store which was located at the end on the center next to Woodridge (I think that was the name of that side street). I can also remember going into a Newberry's store which was at the end of the center where a pedestrian bridge that traversed IH-610 from a movie theatre was.

Does anyone out there have any updated information on Gulfgate, such as if any of those old store from 40 years ago are still there or not?

Chet Cuccia

When we went to Gulfgate Shopping Center back in the early 1960s, I remember going down some stairs to an underground bowling alley.  I also remember my mother buying groceries in a Weingarten's store which was located at the end on the center next to Woodridge (I think that was the name of that side street). I can also remember going into a Newberry's store which was at the end of the center where a pedestrian bridge that traversed IH-610 from a movie theatre was.

Does anyone out there have any updated information on Gulfgate, such as if any of those old store from 40 years ago are still there or not?

Chet Cuccia

The entire structure was demolished a few years ago and totally rebuilt ala Meyerland Plaza. Everything you remember is gone. Except the bridge I think.

• Like 1

When we went to Gulfgate Shopping Center back in the early 1960s, I remember going down some stairs to an underground bowling alley.  I also remember my mother buying groceries in a Weingarten's store which was located at the end on the center next to Woodridge (I think that was the name of that side street). I can also remember going into a Newberry's store which was at the end of the center where a pedestrian bridge that traversed IH-610 from a movie theatre was.

Chet Cuccia

Check on the post on Gulfgate in the East End folder. Lots of great photos and stories of what was there and speculation on what they may be adding.

Check on the post on Gulfgate in the East End folder. Lots of great photos and stories of what was there and speculation on what they may be adding.

If my memory serves me correctly, the Weingarten's supermarket in Gulfgate was at the far west end of the center, right next to Woodridge. If anyone knows exactly where, let me know if I'm wrong.

Chet Cuccia

If my memory serves me correctly, the Weingarten's supermarket in Gulfgate was at the far west end of the center, right next to Woodridge.  If anyone knows exactly where, let me know if I'm wrong.

yep, that's where it was - the doors faced the south loop though. In the last years of Gulfgate it had became a Pic-N-Sav. Which became MacFrugals (which is now Big Lots).

My memory of Gulfgate from when I was a little kid was going to Playhouse toys. I think it was in the wing that exited to the pedestrian crossover over the Loop. I could be wrong though. Seems like it was on the west side maybe where Wilson's/Service Merchandise was in the later years.

yep, that's where it was - the doors faced the south loop though.  In the last years of Gulfgate it had became a Pic-N-Sav.  Which became MacFrugals (which is now Big Lots).

My memory of Gulfgate from when I was a little kid was going to Playhouse toys. I think it was in the wing that exited to the pedestrian crossover over the Loop. I could be wrong though.  Seems like it was on the west side maybe where Wilson's/Service Merchandise was in the later years.

I remember my parents taking me to a toy store there in Gulfgate. Walking the sidewalk east from Weingarten's, that toy store what right in the corner just before you turned to the right. I remember on that pedestrian bridge, as you came over from across IH-610, the first store that you came to was "Newberry's."

I remember when walking into that store, you could always hear and smell popcorn always popping. I remember the clerk weighing peanuts, jelly beans, malted milk balls, etc., on a scale and putting them in a small bag and handing them to me.

Chet Cuccia

very cool picture!

My memory of the toy store may be off...but I thought it was a Playhouse toys and I remember very tall glass windows..but as a little kid..that might not be very tall :lol:

I liked riding the escalators in Joske's too! :)

very cool picture!

My memory of the toy store may be off...but I thought it was a Playhouse toys and I remember very tall glass windows..but as a little kid..that might not be very tall  :lol:

Excellent! I'll try to print this photo and show it to my parents. I also remember us decending some stairs to an underground bowling alley. Do you remember that, too?

Chet Cuccia

Excellent!  I'll try to print this photo and show it to my parents.  I also remember us decending some stairs to an underground bowling alley.  Do you remember that, too?

Chet Cuccia

Most of those stores that were in Gulfgate Shopping Center were part of chains. I think that I could safely say that at least 90 percent of those chain stores are no longer in business. What do you think?

Chet Cuccia

The only things left to remind you of the old Gulfgate mall is the bridge over the 610 loop and the signs. Even the old Movie theatre is gone! There is a Metro transfer station there now. The bridge is currently closed but it is also under renovation. They plan to use it to expand the parking area for the Metro area if I understood correctly.

The only things left to remind you of the old Gulfgate mall is the bridge over the 610 loop and the signs. Even the old Movie theatre is gone! There is a Metro transfer station there now. The bridge is currently closed but it is also under renovation. They plan to use it to expand the parking area for the Metro area if I understood correctly.

Wow! If you say that the movie theatre is also gone, then there are no longer any remnants of the former Gulfgate Shopping Center. Well, that's life/business!

Chet Cuccia

Except for what I mentioned above. Not a thing left. Just memories! Jind of sad but the place was really getting shabby looking anyway. And the majority of the stores and shops were all closed and boarded up years ago! It was like walking in a ghost town. The old Bowling alley had been closed for years and was only used for storage.

Except for what I mentioned above. Not a thing left. Just memories! Jind of sad but the place was really getting shabby looking anyway. And the majority of the stores and shops were all closed and boarded up years ago! It was like walking in a ghost town. The old Bowling alley had been closed for years and was only used for storage.

Well, would you happen to know what was done with all of that underground space which that bowling alley occupied? Is there some other business down there which you have to decend stairs to?

Chet Cuccia

Well, would you happen to know what was done with all of that underground space which that bowling alley occupied?  Is there some other business down there which you have to decend stairs to?

Chet Cuccia

the land was regraded. so the whole "underground" is gone.

Just a big swath of flat land with the new stores on top.

They are calling it the survival set up. No anchor stores. just what people need. Clothing stores, hardware, groceries, banks and a few restraunts.

The grocery store that we went to in Gulfgate back in the early 1960s was called "Weingarten's." Someone else in this forum told me that it is now a "Big Lots."

Chet Cuccia

Weingarten's was, at its peak, probably the biggest chain in Houston.  I'm not sure if I have the history exactly right, but I think the Weingarten family decided to get out of the supermarket business about 25 years ago, so they sold the chain to Grand Union (though it kept the Weingarten's name).  I guess that didn't work out too well, because a few short years later Weingarten's was no more.  I think Safeway bought up most of the stores.

Now there's a big HEB at Gulfgate.

Oh, maybe I misunderstood. I thought someone said that "Big Lots" was in the space where "Weingarten's" was. Well, an H.E.B. should do well in that center.

I remember the first time that I went to Astroworld back in the late 1960s. They had a replica of the first "Weingarten's."

Chet Cuccia

For all I know, Big Lots is where Weingarten's was.  But keep in mind that Gulfgate was completely demolished.  The HEB was a new building.  I haven't been in it, but it's huge.

EDIT: As I look back on the history of this thread, I see that gnu wrote that "in the last years of Gulfgate" the former Weingarten's became a Pic-N-Sav and then a MacFrugal's.  I remember seeing that MacFrugal's there.  What I think he means is that MacFrugal's became/was acquired by/was renamed Big Lots.  I'm not sure, but I think the old Gulfgate was already demolished before that change took place.

Yeah, torchlight, that's what i meant. It was a MacFrugals right before Gulfgate was razed. I think in the exact location of where it was is probably the parking lot for new center.

Yeah, torchlight, that's what i meant.  It was a MacFrugals right before Gulfgate was razed.  I think in the exact location of where it was is probably the parking lot for new center.

Yes, it's a shame. Going by what all of you over there have told me, the only remaining vestige of the Gulfgate Shopping Center that I went to back in 1962-64 is the pedestrian bridge which traverses IH 610.

Chet Cuccia

Chet Cuccia

As I said, it's a shame that the only remaining vestige of Gulfgate Shopping Center from back when I went there (1962-64) is the pedestrian bridge.

Chet Cuccia

As I said, it's a shame that the only remaining vestige of Gulfgate Shopping Center from back when I went there (1962-64) is the pedestrian bridge.

Chet Cuccia

By popular demand, here are links to photos of the demolition on May 23, 2001. This was probably the last day of major demolition since they were clearing out the last remains of structures on that day.

This view looks southwest from the Gulf Freeway

http://houstonfreeways.com/images/gulfgate...01_ORIG_ADJ.png

This view looks east

Here is the sign. It looked like it was being preserved. Is it still there? Your comment above suggests it is gone.