Houston's Innovative Sobering Center

I got this email. . . . . .

New City of Houston Recovery Center

Innovative Sobering Center Readies for Operation

Mayor Annise Parker announces the completion of the Houston Recovery Center renovation, home to the City of Houston 's new sobering center, which is expected to begin full operation in the next couple of weeks.

The sobering center is meant to be an alternative to jail for people whose only offense is public intoxication, allowing them to regain sobriety in a safe, medically-monitored environment. Once detainees are sober, they will meet with professional counselors who will offer long-term treatment referrals to appropriate social service agencies. By not booking these offenders into the city jail, officers are able to return to their neighborhood patrols more quickly.

The 84-bed facility is located in a two-story building at 150 North Chenevert Street , Houston 77002. It will be managed by a local government corporation created last year by Houston City Council. Annual operating costs are expected to be $1.5 million, compared to the $4 - 6 million it currently costs to process public intoxication cases at the city jail.

The sobering center is an option only for those detainees who have committed no other crime, have no outstanding warrants and have been taken to the facility by a police officer. There are separate facilities for both men and women.

The second floor of the building is the new home of the Houston Police Department (HPD) mental health unit.

For questions concerning the new sobering center, email mayor@houstontx.gov. For more information on HPD, visit http://www.houstonpolice.org/.

I read the article and understand participants must be brought to the facility by police-- I'm just wondering who exactly informs the police? who make the call "public intoxication"

They already take calls for public intoxication if someone is drunk and harassing people. Right now all they can do is take them to jail until they sober up and possibly charge them with public intoxication. It's not a good solution, though, because someone in danger of alcohol poisoning or overdose should be monitored closely. Tough to monitor one person in a holding tank of 40 or 50 people at the City Jail.

Amazing how coming full circle is "innovative.".

75 years ago - this was called the drunk tank.   Drunks were put in,   allowed to sleep it off where they couldn't hurt anyone else or themselves and sent home in the morning.   (usually to face a pi$$ed off spouse with a rolling pin).

Then everything had to be "improved" upon - i.e. throw money at it - and lock em up and lo and behold - that didn't work out.

Now once again we have a drunk tank. 

Archived