Urbannizer

Grand Texas Theme Park - New Caney

Latest aerial construction footage from 8/28, including the first large, "family raft" slide having gone vertical.  The "grained" mix of colored planks on the tower's walking surfaces look good...  Neat enough view, too, of the panel maze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igi0sTuQ4iY

That's the "Storm Surge" and "Comal Crush" attractions' tower:  https://c4c5h4b3jv11qq3kf399hf3c-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Low-Res-Big-Rivers-Storm-Surge-and-Comal-Crush-Raft-Rides.jpg

Edited by txtiger

Good grief, looking at the Grand Texas website's projections for opening the actual theme park part, it's going to happen (if they can be believed after all this time) pretty much exactly ten years after this thread was started. Remember, it was originally supposed to open in 2010. Then 2012. Then 2013, then 2015.

Hope it never gets fully built. It’s a half arsed, poor excuse for a theme park. Houston could support so much better. A mediocre park like this is only going to diminish Houston’s chances of getting a real, first class theme park in the future. 

On 10/24/2018 at 8:43 PM, intencity77 said:

Hope it never gets fully built. It’s a half arsed, poor excuse for a theme park. Houston could support so much better. A mediocre park like this is only going to diminish Houston’s chances of getting a real, first class theme park in the future. 

I don't know about how having a mediocre theme park would affect our chances of getting a decent one, though I'll take your word for it, but I do agree with you that the plans for the park kinda suck. For one thing, beating the whole "Texas" theme to death. I think about all the successful theme parks out there, from Magic Kingdom to the various Six Flags, Animal Kingdom, the Universals, etc, a big part of what makes them successful is the theming that transports you somewhere other than the place you are. I've been all around Texas, and if I want to see it again, I can get in my car and go see the real thing, so I'm not interested in a cheesy facsimile of it. Considering how poorly managed the planning and development and marketing of this park has been, I think it's pretty safe to assume that they didn't do their due diligence on planning the theming to make sure it would create a sustainable draw of visitors, and you know the execution is going to suck, too.

Edited by Reefmonkey

1 hour ago, Reefmonkey said:

I don't know about how having a mediocre theme park would affect our chances of getting a decent one, though I'll take your word for it, but I do agree with you that the plans for the park kinda suck. For one thing, beating the whole "Texas" theme to death. I think about all the successful theme parks out there, from Magic Kingdom to the various Six Flags, Animal Kingdom, the Universals, etc, a big part of what makes them successful is the theming that transports you somewhere other than the place you are. I've been all around Texas, and if I want to see it again, I can get in my car and go see the real thing, so I'm not interested in a cheesy facsimile of it. Considering how poorly managed the planning and development and marketing of this park has been, I think it's pretty safe to assume that they didn't do their due diligence on planning the theming to make sure it would create a sustainable draw of visitors, and you know the execution is going to suck, too.

Yes, agreed.  The whole "Texas" thing is beaten to death and run into the ground lately, especially IN TEXAS - go figure.  Time to diversify and think outside the Texas box for once.

If they can succeed, well, more power to them, I suppose. That there is any money left behind an idea at least 10 years in the making to re-enter an ailing industry that already died off once in this city is a testament to perseverance if nothing else. 

Most folks that I speak with from the Porter New Caney area are lukewarm about the project. Too much big talk and small results. They have taken a wait and see attitude

I've observed that most folks on this website don't even seem to know the difference between the Grand Texas project and the EarthQuest project.