Grand Texas Theme Park At 23065 Highway 242

• 1 month later...

"The 630 acre facility with feature Big Rivers Water Park a 40 acre site which will include a river ride which flows through the already natural forest at the location.  Waterslides that wrap around large oak trees. Several roller coasters including one said to be one of the 10 largest wooden roller coasters in the United States."

Wow ... can't wait for this to open! 

That wooden coaster looks like it's gonna be a blast!  I wonder if they'll go ahead and shoot for the longest/tallest since they already have plans to be in the top 10 anyway.  As for the rest of the concept, I like what I see although the ever present question about parking will surely surface soon.

That wooden coaster looks like it's gonna be a blast!  I wonder if they'll go ahead and shoot for the longest/tallest since they already have plans to be in the top 10 anyway.  As for the rest of the concept, I like what I see although the ever present question about parking will surely surface soon.

Yea that might be the one they are saying is going be in the top 10 biggest roller coasters in the US list.

Edit: They still haven't shown the waterpark and looking at the land the have acquired, looks like more will be added to the theme park

overall_11x17-small.jpg

Edited by TowerSpotter
  • Like 1

"Big Rivers Water Park is slated to open in April 2015 and the Grand Texas Theme Park should be ready by December 2015."

Awesome!  Hopefully "ready by DECEMBER 2015" means this park will be open year round ... like Disney parks. 

Edited by HtownWxBoy

The renderings are definitely cartoonish but it does look like fun. They remind me of the poster maps one could get at Six Flags or Astroworld back in the day.

It's kind of hard to have renderings of 600 acre park without making it cartoonish.  Otherwise your renderings would show very little of the overall plan, or you would have way too many of them to really get people interested.  I think what I see looks like a good plan. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Unless it is actually something else entirely, I'm betting the racetrack was thrown in there as a pie in the sky idea. 

Not to say it is not possible, but a tri-oval-ish racetrack would be a long shot. I suppose one can never be too sure, but I follow a lot of motorsports and have heard nothing about anyone connected the existing racing series showing an interest in a permanent track in the Houston area. Between NASCAR in Ft. Worth and Circuit of the Americas in Austin, I doubt anything big would come here. Small time stuff doesn't have much use for a tri-oval, and IndyCar is not big enough to support a big new facility on its own. 

But anything could happen, I suppose.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

5. The Astroworld Carousel: The carousel at the former Six Flags Astroworld was a thing of absolute majesty. It was more than 100 years old, and when it was first installed at Pen Mar Park it was already called the Grand Carousel for the amazing detail of the animals. In 1968 Roy Hofheinz himself bought the carousel and had it installed in Astroworld where it remained until the park closed in 2005.

So why is it on this list if it's gone? That's just it, the Astroworld carousel is returning to Houston! Dan Horenberger of Brass Ring Entertainment bought the carousel at auction and had it given a museum quality renovation. Now it's slated to be part of the new Grand Texas Theme Park opening next year. How wonderful that a piece of our history will once again offer riders another go-round.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2014/02/best_carousels.php?page=2

• Like 2

Well, although that obnoxious horse mascot is nowhere in sight ("Lasso's Corral" must be the kids area), I can't get over the over-Texas theme. While I'm fine for a certain area of the park (at least there appears to be a Mexico-themed area) being all Wild West style Texas theme, I'm not fond of the theme of the rest of the park. They could crib some design cues from Epcot to make an Asian-themed one, maybe some sort of faux "big city" theme.

The "howling wolf" rock reminds me too much of the California Adventure bear (Disney's theme park), in fact, the whole thing reminds me a bit of that theme park, and not in a good way.

It also seems too far away from Houston--over six times as far away from downtown as Astroworld, and twice that of even Magic Kingdom in Orlando.

• 1 month later...

So my opinions on this have been mixed. We are the 4th, going to be the 3rd, largest city in the US....we should always have a nice theme park. However, I think the design looks VERY VERY tacky x.x omg its soooooo tacky! I mean sure thats what I theme park is suppose to be. A theme park is an exaggeration of reality so you can do just that...escape from reality, but this is kinda blahhhhh. Whats missing are other themes that would clearly define houston apart from any other. Where is the space theme? Where is an energy theme? Where is a big city theme? I would hope that this design will mature more and maybe tone some stuff down and include more variety in future expansions.