Retail Center At 1706 Westheimer Rd.

capnmcbarnacle

Saw this today on Swamplot....

http://swamplot.com/the-commotion-at-the-corner-of-westheimer-and-dunlavy/2012-04-16/

Something needed to happen to the old Carppets by Joy and impressionist painting place. This could be worse, and it could be much, much better. Hard to imagine anything much less inspired to plop down on that spot. At least they run up to the sidewalk. I wonder what we'll see there retail wise. Anyone know if this is all on spec?

• 3 months later...

I really liked that French Art Gallery . That corner really looks bare and awkward without the old houses right now. I hope they do intend to put that proposed structure up close to the sidewalk. Hate to see those old houses go but at this point they need to really fill that gap between Agora and Bacchus. Whatever they may put up there (up to the sidewalk) is certainly better than the thought of a parking lot at that corner.

• 6 months later...

In the FWIW department, they have been moving dirt around and have set up the forms for the permieter of the building. Looks like the footprint will be what we saw in the earlier plans -- 4k feet of space with 36 parking places behind it. There was an application for a liquor license up there on the fence awhile back.

Whatever is going in there appears to be getting started. Here's hoping they do something interesting with the building. The rendering was awfully blah.

In the FWIW department, they have been moving dirt around and have set up the forms for the permieter of the building. Looks like the footprint will be what we saw in the earlier plans -- 4k feet of space with 36 parking places behind it. There was an application for a liquor license up there on the fence awhile back. Whatever is going in there appears to be getting started. Here's hoping they do something interesting with the building. The rendering was awfully blah.

Again, for what it's worth, the application on the property listed the applicant at Leaven and Earth.  The only Leaven and Earth I could find was a sandwich shop in Sacramento.  Doubt the two are connected.

• 1 month later...

I noticed that the foundation is being laid for a new building at Westheimer and Dunlavy. A long time ago there was a thread with a rendering but I could not find it so I am starting a new one. Looks like the parking will be in the back which is great.

post-3613-136285455231_thumb.jpg

post-3613-13628545839274_thumb.jpg

post-3613-13628546187896_thumb.jpg

a cafe? because there are only, what, 5 cafes within a block?

I don't think people start businesses based on contributing to the diversity of the neighborhood, not usually anyway.

Anyway, here's the piece.

In an interview yesterday, Roy Shvartzapel explained his plan to take the experiences he has garnered at restaurants such as elBulli, Bouchon and Pierre Herme to bring Houston its first truly world-class cafe. He describes it as an "avant garde and modern approach to the cafe experience which encompasses the savory, the bread, the pastry and the gelato all executed and conceived at the highest levels." The still unnamed shop will be located in the building currently being built at the corner of Dunlavy and Westheimer in the heart of Montrose; needless to say, the concerns that it would be used for a Dunkin Donuts can be put firmly to rest.

Shvartzapel says, "I've spent the past 12 years traveling the globe, making it a point to work with the best, most accomplished, creative chefs in the world." Judging by his resume, that's a goal he's achieved. After Shvartzapel graduated from the University of Houston and the Culinary Institute of America in New York, he helped launched Bouley Bakery. After a year there, he moved to Paris and worked with Pierre Herme, who he refers to as "the Michael Jordon of the pastry world."

He spent 2006 at elBulli, which many chefs and critics considered to be the best restaurant in the world. From there, he moved to Italy and learned to make panettone from Iginio Massario, the "Godfather of traditional panettone." After a year or so in New York, Shvartzapel spent three-and-a-half years as the pastry chef at Cyrus, a Michelin two star restaurant in the California wine country. During that time, he mentored Matt Marcus of the Eatsie Boys and worked with Grant Gordon, the chef who helped revitalize Tony's. Finally, he achieved his goal of working for Thomas Keller when he helped open Bouchon Bakery's Beverley Hills location in 2011.

0215RoyS-2-thumb.jpegChilling at elBulli

Although Shvartzapel hasn't lived in Houston in over ten years, he's noticed the way the city's dining scene has changed. "I was shocked, but very pleasantly surprised, to see that chef-owned restaurants are beginning to thrive and flourish. We have restaurants like Oxheart and Triniti, but there is one area of dining that remains untouched .... It's a shame that the fourth largest city in the United States doesn't have anyplace that's not a bar or restaurant to go to at 10:00 p.m. or even 11:00 p.m. after a movie to have tea or coffee and a pastry."

With the assistance of his business partner Brad Sanders, Shvartzapel intends to change that. When it opens later this year, the restaurant will feature pastry, fresh bread and gelato. There will also be a savory component with sandwiches that should, at the very least, give Local Foods a run for its money. He describes the setup as an "open kitchen that's completely transparent to the guest" and says fresh bread will be coming out of the ovens "every 30 to 45 minutes."

Although Shvartzapel isn't quite ready to reveal the other chefs he's signed on for the rest of his team, he says that all have backgrounds similar to his and share his excitement about Houston's restaurant scene.

As for the location, Shvartzapel says he used to sit on the patio at Brazil, look across the street and think "if I won the lottery, I'd tear down that building and take that space. That's exactly what happened." The goal, he says, is "not about wanting to be the best pastry offering in Houston. My intent is to be the best in America …. If we picked the place up and put it in Manhattan, it would be the best there, too."

Expect to read much more about this project as it develops.

http://houston.eater.com/archives/2013/02/15/pastry-chef-roy-shvartzapel-reveals-plan-to-bring-worldclass-cafe-to-montrose.php

I meant more from a business perspective. Opening a cafe on lower Westheimer certainly makes sense, but does locating it near so much direct competition run any risks? I mean, this is literally next door to both Bacchus and Agora, across the street from Brasil, and an easy walk to Empire. Now none of those places aspire to this high of a level of food quality, but I'm not sure that's the most important thing in a cafe. 

Critical mass....

Lower Westheimer is quickly becoming a foodie/coffee/alcohol lover's dream... Uchi, HayMerchant, Underbelly, El Real, Anvil, Antidote, Poison Girl, Brazil, Empire, Fendee, Indika, Osaka, Royal Oak, Agora, and on and on and on

I noticed that the foundation is being laid for a new building at Westheimer and Dunlavy. A long time ago there was a thread with a rendering but I could not find it so I am starting a new one. Looks like the parking will be in the back which is great. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1362854550.630352.jpg attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1362854583.529327.jpg attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1362854617.513269.jpg

The thread on this was in the Montrose section.  I am pasting the link.  The initial rendering was bland, but let's see what they end up with.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/26343-dunlavy-westheimer/

i think it sounds awesome and unlike any of the places surrounding it and i go to them all...(i never learned how to cook so thankfully i can afford to eat out every meal haha!)...and it speaks of staying open late with all the food it offers which Brasil closes fairly early...weekdays especially...as does Empire. (I wont count Agora since they dont have meals really...)...so this is a great idea for a great location!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For a group so very into name-dropping everyone in the principals' rolodexes, I find it funny they need to hire a  NY branding agency just to come up with a name.  No doubt Dave Chang will thumb over a prototype menu on the sample paper and we can expect a press release over that, too.

At any rate, I drove past today to see the glass/windows being  delivered  and it's  starting to look nearly finished.  Assuming it doesn't collapse under the weight of its own self-importance, this is a def a nice add to the area.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived