Everyone's on the roads, no one in the city

So, I went to Houston last weekend. Fun, yes, but I was surprised at how relatively empty some parts were. While there wasn't a shortage of people on the highways or Chinatown, Memorial Park had refreshingly few people there from what I can tell. Yeah, there were people in the fields and in the parking lot, but it wasn't any more crowded than any local city park I've been to (and a heck of a lot less crowded than other urban parks I've seen--or national parks for that matter). The weather was nice and a Saturday afternoon--so where was everybody?

Even having a beer at the Flying Saucer downtown, a Saturday afternoon had nearly no one on the streets. The train rumbled by with people in it, and the bar was crowded, but the actual outside area had very few people actually out and about. 

Is this normal for Houston, or just that day? (March 2nd, 2013)

I can't speak for all those places, and the consensus is usually that a lot of places in town are often lacking in pedestrian traffic but I had a soccer tournament all weekend at Bear Creek and Saturday was a chilly and windy day.  I probably wouldn't have spent much time outside if I didn't have to.  Sunday was a much nicer day where I would expect a lot more people would want to get out and enjoy the weather.

Hermann Park is somewhat more touristy (understatement) than Memorial Park. I dare say that the area is the biggest draw for tourists from outside the city (given it has the museums, the zoo, etc.) and inside as well. Downtown and Memorial Park aren't exactly tourist centers, and they weren't very busy.

on a nice day memorial park is typically slammed... yesterday for instance. downtown, however, rarely sees much pedestrian activity regardless of the weather. that said on nice days discovery green gets very crowded with a lot of pedestrian activity as does hermann. both are probably a more apt comparisons of an "urban park" than memorial truth be told.

Not a lot to walk to right around Saucer, but other parts of downtown have more activity. A new bar opened at 410 Main called Clutch City, and lots happening in that area. OKRA Charity Saloon, Hearsay, coming soon a new ramen shop called Goro n Gun and Bad News Bar. Plus established places in the area like Warren's, La Carafe, Charbar.

I'm not sure I even understand what the question is. Are you asking whether there's a lot of pedestrian traffic in Memorial Park (yes) and downtown (no). Or are you asking whether Houstonians spend time outside when the weather is nice (I would say yes, others may disagree).

Not trying to be confrontational, just confused by the observation.

Well, it's not the fact that I'm stating a generalization for Houston--I was just there on one weekend (the first time in Houston for a while) and while the traffic problem wasn't a surprise, it was a relatively pleasant surprise to be in a park and not be surrounded by throngs of people. You could actually "get away", even though you were surrounded by highways and roads. Downtown also seemed to have relatively no surface pedestrian traffic. I understand when the weather's nasty (it was a bit on the chilly side, admittedly) or too hot, or when the tunnels are open, but it was a Saturday afternoon at Main and Capitol. This is the downtown of one of the largest cities in America (and the world, technically), downtown seems mostly occupied, and there's not very many people on the streets?

Houston not even in the top 70 most populous cities in the world. Not sure where you think the people would be going on a Saturday afternoon at this corner. I probably walked past you going back to my apartment, but Pavilions traffic would be located closer to Pavilions and Market Square traffic would be over there. Aside from Saucer this particular corner is kind of irrelevant, because it's between two rail stops.

Why would there be a mass of people on Main St. downtown on a weekend when there's no event going on?

I was out all day on Saturday and there were people all over town (Rice Village, Rice U coffee house, Hermann Park, Zoo, and later at BB's on White Oak (BB's was packed, so was Lil Woodrow's and Fitzgerald's).

Is this normal for Houston, or just that day? (March 2nd, 2013)

When the World's Largest Indoor Rodeo is going on, an event that draws over 2.25 million spectators over 21 days, attendance at other Houston venues tends to be light. That's what happens when upwards of 150,000 congregate at Reliant Stadium on a single weekend day. I am embarrassed to even have to explain this.

Right. I think it was going on that weekend. I didn't go to the South Loop at all, though—but that explains a lot of things.

I am kind of curious if kylejack DID walk past the Flying Saucer when I was outside. It was sometime between 4 and 5.

I didn't go to the Flying Saucer to see people. I realized we were outside next to Main Street (I knew because the train went through the middle), and I was just a bit surprised why it seemed so empty. Given that downtown has people living in it (Post Rice Lofts was visible), it was a bit strange, that's all.

Archived