City of Houston van that determines priority of street repairs

trymahjong

I attended the Neartown meeting last night and was updated on the COH Van--

For the last year a City of HOuston Van equiped with a 7 foot wide laser drove over every (this is what the City has assured everyone) street in Houston. The data provided by the laser that swept over the surface of each street was put through a special algorithm and could determine which streets in Houston need repairing using a "Worse fixed First" protocol.

determined just damage--not where (or in whose City council district) the damaged street is located.

There were a few "kinks" in the process. The Van only drives over each street once----most streets are 12 feet wide, laser only 7 feet wide. Curb damage and close to curb damage is missed, sometimes.

One of the first streets fixed was JFK blvd by the airport---this REALLY surprised me since I have to travel Westheimer between Bagby and Shepherd and am afraid the damage in the right lane will break my car axle.

There is a movement to "tweak" the algorithm and place 1) location => whose City Council District damaged street is located and 2) how many 3-1-1 calls have been received on each individual damaged location within the protocol.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

It makes me think that 1)the more persuasive (squeaky wheel) Council people and 2) the more organized Civic associations (getting many members to call3-1-1 on a 24/7 basis to focus on particular damaged streets within the Civic association area WILL EQUAL chaos! Plus the really damaged streets will get bogged down in all the red tape these new improvements produce.

There is  an opportunity to discuss all this with the City of Houston Civic Improvement Plans (CIP) people ---I plan to give them an earfull.

http://www.houstontx.gov/cao/2013cip.html

Tue., Mar. 5

NOTE: 6:30 to 8:00

Metropolitan Multi-Service Center (Gymnasium)
1475 West Gray

Here's the link to the City of Houston 2011 pavement assessment map:

http://www.rebuildhouston.org/images/pdf/street_assessment_map.pdf 

I have to agree that Westheimer between Shepherd and Bagby needs to be near the very top of the list...

Funny that much of Westheimer is labeled medium to low need for repairs

There is a pot hole   when heading west on  Westheimer at  Montrose just in front of a Bus stop that seems deep enough to swallow your entire wheel. When it rains and a truck goes through anyone seeking shelter at that Bus stop is caught in a deluge of drain water--yipes/yuck! 

Cullen is a joke. Not a great way to welcome people to UH.

Greenbrier between Holcombe and University is downright dangerous since many people just drive down the shared turning lane to avoid the potholes.

That stretch has been abysmal for as long as I can remember.  I always suspected that keeping the quality roughly equivalent to that of a cart track was a covert form of traffic calming through a residential area. 

I would say that overall Houston has the worst overall quality streets of any city I've driven in, anywhere. 

Cullen is a joke. Not a great way to welcome people to UH.

Greenbrier between Holcombe and University is downright dangerous since many people just drive down the shared turning lane to avoid the potholes.

Broadway between I-45 and Hobby Airport is also terrible. That's not a great way to welcome folks to Houston who may have flown in via Hobby.

I'm surprised how quickly Greenbriar's condition deteriorated. I think it was repaved around 2005 or 2006. Within 2 or 3 years, it was back to its suspension fitness testing ways.

I heard John Silva (asst director pub/wrks) speak at the gathering of Ellen Cohens CAPs on Thursday.

It seemed pretty evident that LESS of the input received from the Van algorithm and MORE of the

3-1-1 calls (plus calls put to COH city council reps) will determine what crappy pothole gets fixed first.

At lease that seemed to be how I received the message of worse gets fixed first.

I hope a whole slew of Houstonians show up Tomorrow at the Multiservice center on Gray and get their voices heard---- as far as getting the damaged roads fixed where you live it will more likely be the squeaky wheel  algorithm, that gets you to the top of the list for repairs.   :/

There is a pot hole   when heading west on  Westheimer at  Montrose just in front of a Bus stop that seems deep enough to swallow your entire wheel. When it rains and a truck goes through anyone seeking shelter at that Bus stop is caught in a deluge of drain water--yipes/yuck! 

Have you reported it via 3-1-1?

There's an app for that:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-s-new-app-a-boon-for-residents-4230473.php

yep--

but I called it in instead of using my app--I started calling it in about 2 years ago. Each time I thought it had gotten deeper ;/

My civic assoc did take the time to encourage me to walk Avondale and take pictures of all those horrible streets, potholes,water leaks sidewalks, grafiti, and nuisances on properties, that COH needed to be made aware of.  Avondale's state of decline is such that i am regularly using my app.     :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the 311 App too... given that I work at UofH and have to drive on both Cullen and Holman most days.  Holman is even WORSE than Cullen!! 

Houston's got some serious work to do to fix our streets. 

I believe that Holman is scheduled for a full rework as part of the renovation plans for the 3rd ward.

Broadway between I-45 and Hobby Airport is also terrible. That's not a great way to welcome folks to Houston who may have flown in via Hobby.

I'm surprised how quickly Greenbriar's condition deteriorated. I think it was repaved around 2005 or 2006. Within 2 or 3 years, it was back to its suspension fitness testing ways.

It IS kinda fun fun to go bombing down Broadway doing about 45mph though, sometimes.... :P

Archived