Adventure Pointe Amusement Park On Interstate 45

lockmat

This and the Western theme park just seem like glorified Celebration Station's - like the tiny old rundown park with one roller coaster next to a go-kart track you see in smaller cities.

The only one that feels anything close to an Astroworld is Earthquest.

• Like 2

After researching i could not find any rinks that had Xtraice in Houston or the surrounding areas.  With this and the proposed entertainment project further down the way in galveston.  The options are creating more tourism related destinations in the metro.

After researching i could not find any rinks that had Xtraice in Houston or the surrounding areas.  With this and the proposed entertainment project further down the way in galveston.  The options are creating more tourism related destinations in the metro.

What makes it different...functions in warm weather?

• 4 months later...

From June 13th

We know that you have all been patiently awaiting news regarding Adventure Pointe’s official ground breaking date. Our team has been working diligently over the past few months to ensure our debut accommodates not only theme park enthusiasts, but the entire family as well.

During this time, we have made adjustments to the park’s site plan. This will allow new rides, new themes, as well as live entertainment.

In addition to the park’s four main themed areas, Adventure Pointe will now feature the “Land of Oz." This magical land will sweep you away with its attractions, just as Dorothy was in the Wizard of Oz.

Finally, upon completion of our engineering in the coming months, we anticipate ground breaking by year end!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

3 restaurant pad sites available along I-45 south. Amusement park currently under construction for an estimated Holiday 2016 grand opening. Estimated 5 million visitors per year. 11 themed attractions, hotel accommodations and a state of the art concert venue.

A family fun filled entertainment center located in the heart of the Gulf Coast, just off I-45 southbound, between Houston and Galveston that will pull from a super regional trade area with a population of over 5,000,000 people. Directly adjacent to the Tanger Outlets

http://www.loopnet.com/xnet/mainsite/listing/Profile/Profile.aspx?LID=18979484&PreviousLinkCode=10850&PreviousSourceCode=1lww2t006a00001&&LinkCode=10850&SourceCode=1lww2t006a00001

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Is anything happening on the site??

Yep, dirt being moved around.

From Adventure Pointe's FB Page:

https://www.facebook.com/adventurepointepark

Hello All,

We are excited to share the latest news. If you drive by our site, you will notice we have started construction on a few items. Once they are done, construction of the park will begin. We still plan to have a ground breaking ceremony soon. Going forward our social media will be more active so we can continue to give you updates. We will also update you all on the changes we made to the park. Finally, we want thank you all for being patient. This is just the start of our Adventure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nearly a yr later from the original groundbreaking date, excavators have now arrived to the site.

At the heart of Adventure Pointe park patrons will share in the experience of the roundhouse. The roundhouse will serve as an event center – a designated area dedicated to showcasing how the Slusky family’s historical train collection will be maintained and refurbished.

This communal space will feature rentable banquet spaces for conferences, weddings, dances, civic and company picnics, Quinceaneras, holiday celebrations and an indoor performance venue.  In addition to the roundhouse Adventure Pointe will feature a 4,200 sqft ice skating rink.

I'm pretty upset this place won't be open in time for me to have my wedding here.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 2

The only one that feels anything close to an Astroworld is Earthquest.

I'd really wish we'd stop trying to compare every theme park opening to AW. It's been gone for 10 years. It was built on years and years of love/memories and stuff we hold dear to it. 

• 3 months later...

Slusky in 2012 bought 25 acres fronting I-45, south of Tanger Outlets, and caused a stir when he announced in March 2013 plans for the Texas City venture. Initially, he was going to call it Playland Park, but renamed it Adventure Pointe.

The park’s main historical reference will be the trains, which are fully refurbished. The track will rotate eight different trains. The remainder will be on display in a roundhouse that guests can tour to learn about the mechanics and history of steam engines.

Trains are his hobby, Slusky said.

“I don’t play golf,” he said.

The first phase of the park will include a carousel, a pirate village with a Jean Lafitte’s ship attraction, a Land of Oz area, a venue for live entertainment and interactive games.

Slusky has acquired the 1958 Allen Herschell Grand Carousel. It has 60 horses and two chariots. He’s upgrading the carousel with LED lighting — about 600 light bulbs. The carousel also is being stored in his Alvin warehouse.

Adventure Pointe also will feature banquet spaces for conferences, weddings, civic and company outings, among others, and boast a year-round ice-skating rink made with eco-friendly synthetic ice technology, said Terri Lera, who, with Katie Hurley, owns design-build firm Fineas + Clover, which Slusky hired to design and oversee construction of the park.

Developing a theme park is neither easy nor quick nor inexpensive.

“I knew it would be a challenge, but I’ve never been shy about taking on a challenge,” he said.

Although Slusky wouldn’t mind attracting sponsors for some attractions — including possibly a roller coaster down the line — he’s the sole stakeholder, financing the project himself.

“I want to say I developed this myself,” said Slusky, who declined to disclose his financial investment in Adventure Pointe.

Area residents and theme park enthusiasts have been eagerly awaiting signs of development at the Adventure Pointe site.

Some observers worry there hasn’t been a lot of work at the site.

But crews have completed public infrastructure work, including waterlines, sanitary sewer, detention and general construction, Lera said.

Now, Adventure Pointe is working to submit plans to the city for private infrastructure work needed to support the theme park and attractions, she said.

Adventure Pointe intends to submit plans to Texas City officials in coming weeks, Lera said.

When those plans are approved and the work is complete, then people will begin seeing Adventure Pointe rise, Lera said.

Over the past several years, the team of experts Slusky assembled to develop Adventure Pointe has visited other theme parks, attended International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions conventions and has designed and redesigned the park to accommodate both enthusiasts and casual visitors, especially families.

The team spent many hours poring over and perfecting plans and considering story lines for themed areas. Adventure Pointe won’t be a roadside carnival with a few rides. It will be tightly themed, Lera said.

Slusky believes Adventure Pointe will put Texas City on the map, luring people from all over the Houston region.

The development would greatly add to the city’s strategic plan, Mayor Matt Doyle said.

“We’re looking forward to it,” Doyle said. “Every time we do strategic planning, the young people ask for more things to do. This will certainly give them more things to do and it will be nice to have a place where families can go to spend the day together.”

Slusky plans to open Adventure Pointe in the spring or early summer of 2017.

http://www.galvnews.com/business/article_a0e356e0-fe96-5c95-b882-50502e65d536.html?mode=story

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Adventure Pointe inboxed me on facebook after asking about a construction timetable to say that it would open spring/summer 2017 and possibly a section of it would be open in a few months from now.  I know the ground is being cleared for the parking lot and sidewalks as of current.  Also the rides would be installed early next year.

Edited by uscats35
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

This has progressed to paving way for the train tracks and laying concrete..  Much more activity on site now.  Also looks like they are working on the entrance opposite of tanger outlets. I took pictures from the back of the property, so all the construction toward I-45 is not shown on photos.

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

Edited by uscats35
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Texas City will be getting a new amusement park coming sometime this summer. A 25-acre piece of land is under construction off I-45 south, south of League City, that will be turned into an amusement park called Adventure Pointe.

Dr. Harvey Slusky, a Friendswood cardiologist, is the head of operations for the project. His family has been involved in amusement parks for generations. Slusky’s father was the founder of another well-known park in Houston, Playland Park, that operated from the 1940s to 1967. Slusky’s family also operates the miniature train inside the park at the Herman Park Zoo in downtown Houston. When Playland Park closed in 1967, Slusky never got rid of the old rides.

“The trains will travel through the park to view the themed areas,” Slusky said. “These are the original trains that operated across from the Hermann Park Zoo and began their operation over 50 years ago. They are now fully restored.”

Adventure Pointe will feature four family-friendly themed areas.

“Lafitte’s Landing – will have a replica of Jean Lafitte’s pirate ship,” Slusky said. “It will be approximately 90 feet long! It will have an imaginative story line that takes you on a passage inside the ship with interactive shooting galleries that have life-like animatronic characters. Then ride the Octopus across from the ship if you dare. Land of Oz – a family themed area that includes several new rides, as well as the yellow brick road. If you are lucky, you might bump into Dorothy, the Tin Woodman, the scarecrow, or the Lion as you make your way along the yellow brick road.”

“Main Street – a 60-horse vintage carousel, a synthetic outdoor ice-skating rink which will be the first of its kind in a Texas amusement park, as well five large scale railroad trains. The trains will travel through the park to view the themed areas. These are the original trains that operated across from the Hermann Park Zoo and began their operation over 50 years ago. They are now fully restored. Another fun themed area – will be remain a mystery until our grand opening.”

Plans for the park have been under development with the city for a long time. Slusky and Texas City officials finally came to an agreement for zoning the amusement park, which allowed Slusky to purchase the area for construction. Once the city approved the zoning, the park broke ground rather quickly. With no major fallbacks or problems with construction, the park is estimated to open sometime in June.

“Contrary to what has been publicized recently, a wooden roller coaster will not be in the opening of phase 1, however, I definitely plan to have one in our next phase and will pay homage to my father’s coaster that operated at Playland Park back in the 1940s,” Slusky said.

The city is expecting the park to help increase the economy in Texas City, much like other successful amusement parks in the area such as the Kemah Boardwalk. The Boardwalk opened in 1997 and has been growing ever since.

Jorge Franz, senior vice president of tourism for the city of Houston, reports tourism in Houston generates $1.1 billion in local and state tax revenue.

The park will be a place in Texas City for locals to bring visitors from around the world to enjoy with friends and family. The nearby Outlet Mall and Buc-ee’s are also pulling tourists to the area.

“I think the amusement park will bring more business to Bucc-ee’s,” said Steven Rodriguez, Bucc-ee’s employee. “The amusement park will most likely not affect Bucc-ee’s in a negative way and will be beneficial to both companies.”

Slusky wants the park to hold true to the roots of classic family fun rides and entertainment. However, there is a chance the park may grow.

“There are approximately 7,000 new family homes planned in the immediate vicinity of the park, and we have additional acreage to expand the park’s operation with other themed areas,” Slusky said.

For more information on the park and to stay up to date on the park’s progress, visit Adventure Pointe’s Facebook page.

http://uhclthesignal.com/wordpress/2017/03/13/the-adventure-is-about-to-begin-in-texas-city/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...