Proposed 2,500-Acre Theme Park

lockmat

Per their website

RCS Entertainment, Inc. is developing a family-oriented 2500-acre themepark resort in the Houston, Texas area. This resort will contain a themepark, waterpark, professional golf course, several five-star hotels and restaurants, retail shopping, and various other amenities.

Houston is the fourth largest metropolitan area in the United States, and is conveniently located close to the Dallas, San Antonio, and Baton Rouge-New Orleans metropolitan areas. Houston currently does not have a resort on the same level as the development that RCS is planning.

The management team of RCS has extensive experience in the themepark, real estate, and marketing sectors. As a result, all of the developments in which RCS participates (whether on a proprietary or joint venture basis) benefit from our multidisciplinary expertise.

Many renderings are at their site and they look very premature.

http://rcsentertainment.com/

new article referencing project: http://uhclthesignal.com/wordpress/2013/02/11/houston-we-have-a-potential-theme-park/

I'm confused with all these different theme parks I keep hearing about (Earthquest, Cowboy Town, etc.). Which theme park idea is this? The copyright on the site is from 2010.

EDIT: For those wondering the same, read the article in the link. It answered my question.

From the article of the link that Lockmat provided:

"Fast-forward to 2013, the project (EarthQuest) is now proposed as a scaled down version of the original vision. Earth Quest has changed a lot since it was first proposed, but Chris Brown with Contour Entertainment, the resort’s original master designer, believes they can still get the park built. Contour took over the project in 2010 and is still pushing to get it built. They have been granted permission to secure remaining investors in order to start breaking ground. Earth Quest is the most developed of the four proposed theme parks."

EarthQuest doesn't sound like a memory to me. Although I know some of the info in that 'student newsletter' is incorrect. Contour was the master planner of the park back in 2010 (actually before I think) they came up with the schematics and park layout plan, but they only took over the entire project (rounding up financing) in 2012. For many months (or were it years?) no representative from EarthQuest even attended community meetings at the EMCID from something like 2010 to 2012, leaving members of the EMCID looking pretty silly, but the EMCID has never given up on it, and now now the developers are talking about it again and showing up at town hall meetings and such. I love their persistent "quitting is for losers" attitude. Gives me hope for humanity.

The RCS park is the most mysterious of the 4 proposed parks the article discusses. That website they have has not been updated in years and no one ever writes any articles about it. The link that Lockmat provided is the first time I've ever seen any article even mention it. I've known about the RCS park for about a year just from internet scuttlebutt (like this) and I check out their facebook page from time to time. The last entry was made almost a year ago. I don't think this one is going anywhere. They were one of the developers that were trying to get Jazzland in New Orleans rebuilt, but I understand they lost the bid over a year ago - they have never been heard from since. RIP RCS

But, EarthQuest just won't die. It's taken years to get wherever they are right now, lots of internet people have given up hope, but every few months you can easily find new articles in various community newspapers that mention that Contour Entertainment is still pursuing it and mentioning current ways they are trying to land enough money to start groundbreaking. Last I heard, Contour said that they only need to secure 150 million to get started on the 500 million dollar project and they were more optimistic than ever.

But sickly, beaten half to death, yet remarkably resilient unicorns aside, Grand Texas is probably Houston's best hope for a large theme park in the immediate future (if you call a proposed October groundbreaking 'immediate'). They have been quietly pursuing land to build on, building a team of former Six Flags and other professional theme park management alumni and have now starting going after some media attention. With the recent announcement and activity surrounding this park (at least on the internet and at the latest EMCID meeting) it sounds like it has a chance to me. 

I know nothing about the park that is supposed to be in the works in Texas City. There was a little info about it on sixflagshouston.com a month or so ago and there are some people over there who think there is something to get excited about - which is always encouraging to people like me!

Even as hopeful as I am - it's hard for even ME (HAIF's loudest and most obnoxious theme park proponent) to believe that all 4 of these parks are going to break ground at the same time if ever. It would be so weird seeing Houston go from the most UNDERSERVED megatropolis (as far as theme parks are concerned) to the most OVERSATURATED in a couple of years. But I think something like that happened in Houston once before - only it was skyscrapers and not theme parks.

• 2 weeks later...

A new proposed theme park for Houston.

RCS Entertainment, Inc. is developing a family-oriented 2500-acre themepark resort in the Houston, Texas area. This resort will contain a themepark, waterpark, professional golf course, several five-star hotels and restaurants, retail shopping, and various other amenities.

Houston is the fourth largest metropolitan area in the United States, and is conveniently located close to the Dallas, San Antonio, and Baton Rouge-New Orleans metropolitan areas. Houston currently does not have a resort on the same level as the development that RCS is planning.

The management team of RCS has extensive experience in the themepark, real estate, and marketing sectors. As a result, all of the developments in which RCS participates (whether on a proprietary or joint venture basis) benefit from our multidisciplinary expertise.

This is by the website www.rcsentertainment.com

Also read this recent post 

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/03-05-13-new-theme-park-with-astroworld-ties-aims-to-fill-houstons-roller-coaster-void/

post-11442-0-25287900-1363060653_thumb.jpost-11442-0-36029800-1363060698_thumb.jpost-11442-0-63681200-1363060704_thumb.jpost-11442-0-22037100-1363060717_thumb.jpost-11442-0-13371200-1363060725_thumb.j

Perhaps it will go in the old Astroworld location. 

won't go there. That land is accounted for. HLSR bought a chunk of it that will become permanent parking, the remainder will become mixed use/retail.

Is this the one that's going in somewhere up North (Kingwood/Cleveland)?

• The title was changed to Proposed 2,500-Acre Theme Park

Archived