The Olympics in Houston? Could it work?

ClutchCity

Fact is, none of these huge events really bring in publicity and fame, not a lot of money or a seat at the "cool cities" table. Atlanta tended to luck out in that respect, but these types of things are hit or miss. Super Bowls particularly don't seem to turn a city's success around: Super Bowl XL sure did wonders for Detroit didn't it?  :P

the NFL sets up their own little area for the foolsball fans to go to- the rest of the city doesn't benefit.

I know many friends in New orleans who were disappointed about the lack of business in their areas during their SB (last year? The year before? I don't remember)

Houston is about 20 years away from even making a decent shot at the Olympics. Just to much missing to really make it all work. It is on the right track certainly, but that is a pretty lofty goal. Although I will say that sometimes pushing to stage events like these have created incredible infrastructure, facilities, and buildings in cities that have hosted. I'm not even just talking about the olympics, but I think it would be cool if Houston were to host a world expo or world's fair. That is a much more powerful event. Of course the actual buildings for the Olympics do have a rep of not being much afterwards, but it's the building that leads up to the event that sometimes sparks some nice developments.

the actual buildings for the Olympics do have a rep of not being much afterwards, but it's the building that leads up to the event that sometimes sparks some nice developments.

I'm confused as to what this means.  The building sparks nice developments, but the actual buildings aren't much afterwards?  

No more than the Olympics would I really care for a world's fair in Houston.  

I'm saying developments not in the Olympic village are usually pretty good for the city. It's the actual Olympic village itself that usually sees a decline afterwards unless the city has a proper conversion plan.

Houston made a great effort for the 2012 Games.  London won.  That was before your time Luminare, you should take a look at all the literature Houston put out in anticipation for that, Kirksy had an Olympic Village (that looked bad - but was functional) based at UH.  The post-Games aftermath would have left Houston transit, additional dormitories for the existing colleges, and lots of event space, but very little in the way of brand new stadiums/sports venues would have been needed.  Houston actually had the most complete bid of any of those cities that went after the Olympics.  I think the US Olympic committee was just nervous about getting another Sun Belt city an Olympic games.

Houston is not 20 years away from being able to host the games.  If anything the Olympic Games would be a huge benefit to us - as it would demand transit projects + a boom in construction for hotels/event spaces etc.  Look what it did for Atlanta!  They had Marta, but a much less developed freeway system, we're far behind in terms of rail transit, but as mentioned before Marta is not the "end all, be all" as far as transit systems go.

the NFL sets up their own little area for the foolsball fans to go to- the rest of the city doesn't benefit.

I know many friends in New orleans who were disappointed about the lack of business in their areas during their SB (last year? The year before? I don't remember)

In 04 when we had the SB if you weren't at Memorial City Mall, the Galleria, in Downtown, or around the stadium, you'd have had no idea there was a superbowl, other than bars that should never charge cover had people at the door asking for cover.

There was plenty available for people who lived here to take advantage of, the NFL experience was actually really kind of cool and I'll go to that again for sure, I'm sure that any host city would be exactly the same, life goes on, maybe a bit more traffic, but if you don't look for it, you won't see it.

The olympics would be a whole nother thing, at least as far as traffic is concerned. 

I wonder if Houston has a better shot now that we're all over top whatever lists, and I wonder if people are even going to try. I still would not be a fan of it though.

Due to Houston's weather I find it difficult to believe it can win a summer Olympics.

High's were in the 90's during the Atlanta games in '96.  Some of the events are indoor anyway and we'd probably get around the heat by adding additional indoor venues.  Main thing I would worry about, though, would be a hurricane putting the damper on things.

Houston is not 20 years away from being able to host the games.  If anything the Olympic Games would be a huge benefit to us - as it would demand transit projects + a boom in construction for hotels/event spaces etc.  Look what it did for Atlanta!  They had Marta, but a much less developed freeway system, we're far behind in terms of rail transit, but as mentioned before Marta is not the "end all, be all" as far as transit systems go.

I don't recall much in the way of freeway expansion for the Atlanta olympics other than the introduction of hov lanes and maybe the openning of Georgia 400, though I don't know that that was directly related to the games.  In terms of freeways, I've always thought the Houston has a much better road system than Atlanta, both freeways and surface streets.

It was hot in Greece too.  The "summer" games were pushed to September for the Sydney Olympics, and Beijing has so horrible air quality that the officials scrambled trying to reduce the air pollution.  Oh, there is a current World Cup taking place in the tropical rain forests of Brazil.  Hot is hot anywhere.  The idea that Houston's heat is unbearable is overblown.

And my post about Houston not being 20 years away from being able to host the Olympics was meant to indicate that indeed Houston has a better road and freeway system.  It is simply our rail transit system that is behind.

I see both sides. It would be a huge waste of resources and tax payer money to build the necessary infrastructure and sporting even complexes. It could, however, shed light on the positives of this city that we all see, and really bring Houston up to a stage of the world. Game Changer, World Class, World City, International City, it would certain bring that jen e sais quoi.

2004's Super Bowl shed a lot of positive light on the city, even though it was overcast and unpleasant weather, and nothing could outshine Janet Jackson's performance.

I see both sides. It would be a huge waste of resources and tax payer money to build the necessary infrastructure and sporting even complexes. It could, however, shed light on the positives of this city that we all see, and really bring Houston up to a stage of the world. Game Changer, World Class, World City, International City, it would certain bring that jen e sais quoi.

2004's Super Bowl shed a lot of positive light on the city, even though it was overcast and unpleasant weather, and nothing could outshine Janet Jackson's performance.

The thing is.. I don't think we would need to build much additional infrastructure/sporting complexes to host the Olympics. At least not as much as what most people build for the Olympics. We could just revamp NRG park into an Olympic HQ mixed use destination with residential, hotels, and the Olympic village (which could be converted to offices after the games), all surrounding a large central park and multiple Olympic venues.. NRG Stadium, the Astrodome, and NRG Arena could all be used for events. Heck, even the track complex by the practice field could be used for track & field events if need be. Or they could even have track & field events inside the NRG Hall/convention center thing, to really put all the on site venues to use.

Of course there is also the Rice University sports venues just up the rail line, along with Minute Maid Park, BBVA Compass Stadium, and the sports venues at UofH, all connected by light rail too.

Between NRG stadium, arena, hall, astrodome, and MMP, I think we have enough indoor venues. Heck, the World Cup stadium in Manaus(?)/in the middle of the rain forest wasn't even enclosed.

Agreed, with all of your "positives" of the games. I think it would be worthwhile given that we already have much of the initial investments in place.

all the money we'd save on building venues we'd have to pay to build up our severe lack of public transportation.

It might not be that bad.  The core rail system is about to come online and that will connect all the major venues.  Maybe it would kick-start the university line. Uptown BRT would already be in place.  We've got a good park and ride system with multiple stations around town.  That could be ramped up with extra buses.  We've got HOV lanes in every direction already or in the works.  Those could be limited to bus traffic during the games.  We've got experiece in spades with busing people in and out during the rodeo.  I can tell you from experience that we're better positioned now, transportation-wise, than Atlanta was at the start of the games in '96.

That could be ramped up with extra buses.

Well, you've just shown light on one problem: when an influx of people come in like for the Olympics, it will start to degrade the quality of the rest of the city, and people won't be happy if bus routes are cancelled, rerouted, or get cut schedules. Those that can afford it will try to get out of town.

Well, you've just shown light on one problem: when an influx of people come in like for the Olympics, it will start to degrade the quality of the rest of the city, and people won't be happy if bus routes are cancelled, rerouted, or get cut schedules. Those that can afford it will try to get out of town.

Yes.  There's no getting around the negative aspects of a big event like this.  Remember this from the nba all-star game back in 2013?

gallstarrUSEEDEE.jpg

That's the Galleria, for those of you who missed the fun.  Still, I think we could pull it off, logistic-wise, but yeah...there would be some inconveniences to local residents even out in the 'burbs.  On the flip side, you could rent out your house/apartment/condo during the time for enough to take a nice vacation somewhere else.  Worth considering.

Disagree it's a lot of fun at least was in Vancouver

Fact is, none of these huge events really bring in publicity and fame, not a lot of money or a seat at the "cool cities" table. Atlanta tended to luck out in that respect, but these types of things are hit or miss. Super Bowls particularly don't seem to turn a city's success around: Super Bowl XL sure did wonders for Detroit didn't it? :P

Corruption behind Atlantans bid

It might not be that bad. The core rail system is about to come online and that will connect all the major venues. Maybe it would kick-start the university line. Uptown BRT would already be in place. We've got a good park and ride system with multiple stations around town. That could be ramped up with extra buses. We've got HOV lanes in every direction already or in the works. Those could be limited to bus traffic during the games. We've got experiece in spades with busing people in and out during the rodeo. I can tell you from experience that we're better positioned now, transportation-wise, than Atlanta was at the start of the games in '96.

If public transport is upgraded I'm all for it

High's were in the 90's during the Atlanta games in '96. Some of the events are indoor anyway and we'd probably get around the heat by adding additional indoor venues. Main thing I would worry about, though, would be a hurricane putting the damper on things.

Atlanta isn't as humid as houston

I've found a significant temperature difference between our coastal areas and more northern parts of the Metro.  Atlanta doesn't have anything like the Gulf or the Galveston Bay.  Hot is hot is hot is hot.

I thought I looked and Houston's average summer temps over the past 100 years indicate its not quite as hot as some think?  Sure we have heat waves (no doubt if we landed an Olympics we would surely have one!)... but those aren't quite as common as we think.

We've yet to top 95 degrees and its the Middle of July.  Which of course means we will have 100s in August <_<

Corruption behind Atlantans bid

Corruption behind a lot of bids, if this is what you are referring to...

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/15/sports/olympics-corruption-allegations-investigated.html

But, that has more to do with how the International Olympic Committee was run than the individual cities involved.  They were just catering to the IOC's way of doing business.

Disagree it's a lot of fun at least was in Vancouver

Did you live in Vancouver at the time?

Thus my comment about building indoor venues.  Still, they'd be better off doing it in May, before hurricane season starts and when there's a better chance of highs in the 80's instead of the 90's.

Archived