On a related note, what’s the story with the abandoned house caddy corner from this development at 120 Portland St? It’s in ROUGH shape and has been for a while. I was driving down that street last night and I’m pretty sure squatters live there since I saw one laying out on the stoop.

I believe it used to be a restaurant back in the 70s/80s.

EDIT: Oh wow, I just read this on the Wikipedia page for none other than Joseph Finger:

On 6 February 1953, a month short of his 66th birthday, Finger died at his home at 120 Portland Street.”

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Toopicky said:

How do you explain the school installing new address posts (pictured in post above) that appeared over the weekend? There are a multiple of them all along the north side of the street (more than the previous 4 addresses of the apartment buildings). Also consider that a townhouse is being built on the other Joy School lot at 205(ish) Portland just down the street.

There are 8 of the little address stakes, indicating 5 addresses:  216, 220 (2 stakes), 234, 238 (2 stakes), and 242 (2 stakes) Portland.

5 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

On a related note, what’s the story with the abandoned house caddy corner from this development at 120 Portland St? It’s in ROUGH shape and has been for a while. I was driving down that street last night and I’m pretty sure squatters live there since I saw one laying out on the stoop.

EDIT: Oh wow, I just read this on the Wikipedia page for none other than Joseph Finger:

On 6 February 1953, a month short of his 66th birthday, Finger died at his home at 120 Portland Street.”

From the Clerk's site, it was sold to Joe E Lee in 1968 by Gertrude Levy Finger, then in 1973 to a married couple, then transferred to the current owner after, presumably, a divorce in 1979. There have been a couple of City notices about the condition of the property.

3 hours ago, Ross said:

From the Clerk's site, it was sold to Joe E Lee in 1968 by Gertrude Levy Finger, then in 1973 to a married couple, then transferred to the current owner after, presumably, a divorce in 1979. There have been a couple of City notices about the condition of the property.

what website did you find that? I just see one name on HCAD’s site.

11 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

what website did you find that? I just see one name on HCAD’s site.

Harris County Clerk Real Property Records. Search for the current owner as the grantee, then go backwards. It's not always obvious what terms to use, as the spellings are sometimes off, or change from buying to selling.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/18/2019 at 11:56 AM, clutchcity94 said:

Well it just caught on fire 

52438BDE-8B18-4F6B-A520-84C2C3864902.jpeg

BF3C7228-0E4C-40A8-BE21-A002B761740D.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, hindesky said:

A couple of people on reddit/houston posted stuff on the fire.

u/EOTGisUngiven posted the fire from what looks like the Carter, notice the Joy School.

r6IJlLb.jpg

u/EpicLopez rode their bike nearby and took some pics.

HFERYNg.jpg

nnTv65G.jpg

w3kXyax.jpg

That’s such a shame. It was quite an elegant structure, even though it suffered from significant deferred maintenance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From the Joy School website:

"

In February 2020, we completed the schematic design process for an 11,000 square foot multipurpose building to meet our most pressing space needs and expand programming opportunities for the students. 

Based on years of surveys and focus groups, the most pressing needs are related to indoor eating, indoor recess and PE, large gathering space, expanded space for art, stage performances, and new space dedicated to STEAM and maker work. The new building will provide it all! It is a dream that has been a long time coming and because of that, our capital campaign has been aptly named Dream Big. The Dream Big Campaign will fund the $14 million project which includes the purchase of the Portland property as well as the construction of a new multipurpose building, an expanded playground area and additional parking.

We can’t wait to share more details with you in early 2021!"

Link to renderings and site plan:

https://www.thejoyschool.org/support/dream-big-capital-campaign

• Like 2

• The title was changed to The Joy School at Chelsea Blvd. and Louisiana
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to The Joy School
  • The title was changed to The Joy School At Chelsea Blvd. And Louisiana St.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Joy School At One Chelsea Blvd.
  • 2 months later...