Midtown Retail Development

ricco67

Crosspoint is building out an old building a few blocks north on Louisiana in what looks to be a new Mexican restaurant. There is a sign for "Luby Tequila's". I went to the website and it looks like a small chain up in the panhandle. There is also a page for locations showing their future Midtown location.

Nice addition to the area. It surprises me that El Patio has been the only Mexican food restaurant in Midtown for so long.

Ugh. Further contributing to the suburbanization of Midtown. A low-end, north Texas, tex-mex place?

At least there are still real restaurants there, like Reef and Ibiza and T'afia.

Restaurants like Reef are nice, but I'd like to have more affordable (and less fancy, dress up type) places to eat, too. My wife and I are very excited about this.

Edited by brian0123

Ugh. Further contributing to the suburbanization of Midtown. A low-end, north Texas, tex-mex place?

further proof that people will whine about anything on this board.

people complain when nothing gets built in midtown, then they complain that too many bars and not enough restaurants are being built. Now we have complaints about the origin and price range of the restaurants being built. :)

• Like 4

Crosspoint is building out an old building a few blocks north on Louisiana in what looks to be a new Mexican restaurant. There is a sign for "Luby Tequila's". I went to the website and it looks like a small chain up in the panhandle. There is also a page for locations showing their future Midtown location.

Nice addition to the area. It surprises me that El Patio has been the only Mexican food restaurant in Midtown for so long.

Cyclone Anaya's?

Cyclone Anaya's?

I think a low priced mexican joint would do quite well. There are alread enough mid and higher end places to eat there.

If they want more variety or whatever, montrose is only a few blocks away.

when i used to attend Texas Tech Univ we used to always go to Ruby Tequila's for margaritas and tex mex. great food =]

im excited

Do we not have enough Tex-Mex places in town already? Ugh. How about something different... like South African, Scandinavian, Indonesian, or Kenyan fare?

further proof that people will whine about anything on this board.

people complain when nothing gets built in midtown, then they complain that too many bars and not enough restaurants are being built. Now we have complaints about the origin and price range of the restaurants being built. :)

Hey, just doing my part to keep the inner loop hip. It's a slippery slope--one more middling enchilada and margs joint, next thing you know there's a Chuy's, fat office women and SAHMs whooping it up for group happy hour, and families people with their shreiking babies ruining the vibe on Saturday night.

;)

Hey, just doing my part to keep the inner loop hip. It's a slippery slope--one more middling enchilada and margs joint, next thing you know there's a Chuy's, fat office women and SAHMs whooping it up for group happy hour, and families people with their shreiking babies ruining the vibe on Saturday night.

;)

Is Midtown hip? In my view it's more a resting point for frat boys and downtown corporate dwellers wearing their Dockers dress shirts *untucked* than it is for edgy hole-in-the-wall places or really adventurous joints. But you're right, at least there are some nice gems amongst the mundane suburban joints/pharmacies/banks/strip malls that in my view litter Midtown. And yes, I'd rather see vacant lots than more suburban joints in Midtown. At least vacant lots allow one to hope for something better.

Is Midtown hip? In my view it's more a resting point for frat boys and downtown corporate dwellers wearing their Dockers dress shirts *untucked* than it is for edgy hole-in-the-wall places or really adventurous joints.

Perhaps I used the wrong word. Given the populuarity of Woodrows, Cyclone Anaya's, Pub Fiction, and the strip-center sports bar that advertises waitresses in stripperish referee outfits--you make a compelling case.

Perhaps I used the wrong word. Given the populuarity of Woodrows, Cyclone Anaya's, Pub Fiction, and the strip-center sports bar that advertises waitresses in stripperish referee outfits--you make a compelling case.

Don't forget about the entire block around the Continental Club (inc. backdoor, etc.). Those indie scenesters and other biker/rocker types definitely fit the mold of the frat boy/dockers crowd. :wacko:

Don't forget about the entire block around the Continental Club (inc. backdoor, etc.). Those indie scenesters and other biker/rocker types definitely fit the mold of the frat boy/dockers crowd. :wacko:

True, but that's not the case for most of Midtown and it's not new or recent construction.

Is Midtown hip? In my view it's more a resting point for frat boys and downtown corporate dwellers wearing their Dockers dress shirts *untucked* than it is for edgy hole-in-the-wall places or really adventurous joints. But you're right, at least there are some nice gems amongst the mundane suburban joints/pharmacies/banks/strip malls that in my view litter Midtown. And yes, I'd rather see vacant lots than more suburban joints in Midtown. At least vacant lots allow one to hope for something better.

I think it is hip. I mean I can go to a bar there and drink some beers with my friends after class. And no, I dont wear dockers but when I do, I DON'T "untuck" my shirt.

• Like 1

since you mention it, there's a cool show going on at Mink Saturday nite. I'm not hip at all, but this is the only part of midtown I hang out in. Kinda related to roadrunner's query, but for me the club scene is irrelevant. I go to neighborhood bars with friends occasionally, and out for live music. Nightlife per se is not a destination. I've never gotten the impression there are many true scenesters on the haif.

True, but that's not the case for most of Midtown and it's not new or recent construction.

That's what is so awesome about it. Unlike other "club" scenes that are merely just fads... this part of Midtown has cemented itself as a fixture in the area and will probably be around for awhile (well after the Washington "scene" dies).

since you mention it, there's a cool show going on at Mink Saturday nite. I'm not hip at all, but this is the only part of midtown I hang out in. Kinda related to roadrunner's query, but for me the club scene is irrelevant. I go to neighborhood bars with friends occasionally, and out for live music. Nightlife per se is not a destination. I've never gotten the impression there are many true scenesters on the haif.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not much into the "indie music" of today, but I still enjoy these places. Anyways, Saturday night my band has a show on the NW side at the same time... so no go for me.

LOL This board doesn't like ANYTHING.

I enjoy the Midtown scene, it's almost a fixture of nightlife here. On a side note, in listening to a local radio show this morning, they mentioned how Houston needs an "Entertainment District", similar to The Gaslamp District in San Diego, RiverCenter in San Antonio, and Chicago's Uptown Square, being the 4th largest city, it's suprising we don't have one persay. I was hopeful several years ago, it would be be Main St., wow, what happened? That scene is now dead IMO. Rant.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy the Midtown scene, it's almost a fixture of nightlife here. On a side note, in listening to a local radio show this morning, they mentioned how Houston needs an "Entertainment District", similar to The Gaslamp District in San Diego, RiverCenter in San Antonio, and Chicago's Uptown Square, being the 4th largest city, it's suprising we don't have one persay. I was hopeful several years ago, it would be be Main St., wow, what happened? That scene is now dead IMO. Rant.

Is the sushi restaurant dead? I haven't seen any activity lately.