Midtown Retail Development

hokieone

Is it the same crew?

Looks like different guys now. Initially they had one crew in w/ hard hats doing a lot of the main construction (building out the structure). Now there have been guys that look like they are working on more detailed work (the entrance seems to be getting attention right now). I don't know anything about construction, so I can' say what they are doing. The place still has a way to go.

Edited by brian0123

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, they have now put up metal beams for future walls in the rest of the Mix. There is also a bunch of construction materials laying around inside it (the non Japanese restaurant part). I also noticed some (what looked like blueprints) laying on a table along the back wall. This is how the Japanese restaurant looked before they began construction... so everyone cross your fingers that they start building out the rest!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm going crazy, but I just drove by one of the lots for the future Mix expansion (Elgin @ Louisiana) and did not see the old apartment building that used to be there. The fence that used to be up around the block is also gone. This is the block that the cool rendering (somewhere earlier in this thread) showed a bunch of other stores. Any chances that they are going to go forward with the next phase of development?

Maybe I'm going crazy, but I just drove by one of the lots for the future Mix expansion (Elgin @ Louisiana) and did not see the old apartment building that used to be there. The fence that used to be up around the block is also gone. This is the block that the cool rendering (somewhere earlier in this thread) showed a bunch of other stores. Any chances that they are going to go forward with the next phase of development?

I noticed that last night also - there was still a crane/back-hoe/whatever it's called on the site so it must have just been torn down

I noticed that last night also - there was still a crane/back-hoe/whatever it's called on the site so it must have just been torn down

Yeah, I drove by after work again and am amazed at how quickly they tore it all down. I drive past there every day and honestly can't remember seeing any crews. I have a feeling this is a sign of more good things to come (otherwise why tear down income producing apartments). BTW, I never realized how large that lot is.

Hopefully it actually ends up looking like this...:D

2nbx2wz.jpg

Edited by brian0123

Damn that was one ugly apartment building that used to be there.

I drove down Milam yesterday and I was impressed at how different the new apartment building across from Pho Saigon makes the area look (it's built right up to the street and replaced a decaying abandoned grocery store). That new apartment complex and the mix both make a huge visual impact on the area. Midtown has changed so much in the 3 years that I've been here. I hope whatever is built on this lot continues the trend.

Uh oh... I just drove by and there were guys about to put a sign on the one remaining building on the block that said something like "One entire city block available." Is Crosspoint seriously going to abandon this ?!?!?!:angry2:

i heard they were goign to put a blockbuster there. :ph34r::lol:

Edited by musicman

Well, it looks like the awesome rendering they made for this block was a lie!

I drove by again and they aren't selling the land... they are just leasing the one building on it with a sign saying you can lease the entire block. I guess they are hoping some restaurant (or a blockbuster:wacko:) will move in and they will have a huge parking lot for customers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish they would have used the normal white lights. To me the white lights look quite nice, those types of lights just feel like an eye sore and unnecessarily bright

Don't you think perhaps the plain old white lights look a tad tired and old-fashioned? At least where I live the bluish ones seem to have become much more popular.

Aren't most of the blue lights actually energy saving LED lights?

Probably. Most of the LED Xmas lights I have seen on the market are that bluish color. White LEDs are actually the most expensive LED's to produce. I am all about energy efficiency (selling energy effiecient products is my livelihood), but I sure do like the good old fashioned incandecent bulb when it comes to Xmas lights. It just looks right to me.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

This thread hasn't been touched in awhile so I thought I'd report that there is finally something else going into the mix (no clue what it is). There have been construction crews working in the place (fairly large) next to the hair salon. Anyone have any info on what's coming?

This thread hasn't been touched in awhile so I thought I'd report that there is finally something else going into the mix (no clue what it is). There have been construction crews working in the place (fairly large) next to the hair salon. Anyone have any info on what's coming?

Big signs out front for a pizza place called Piola. Looks like they are global:

http://www.piola.it/mondo3.php?menu_number=3〈=en&countries_id=5

• 2 weeks later...
In 1986, in the heart of Treviso, a new idea takes shape: the re-invention of the most quintessential Italian establishment: the Pizzeria, that idea is now a wonderful reality called Piola.

The success achieved in Italy by Piola has started to spread around the world: Piola's quality is now sought after by discriminating and trend-setting international clientele in the United States, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Turkey and coming soon Honduras.

At Piola, the most genuine Italian tradition of simple and delicious food combines cleverly with a particular service and ambiance for the demanding and modern customer, who chooses Piola aware of the fact that feeling comfortable is as important as eating well. People from all walks of life and backgrounds meet and gather at Piola, since they are sure to find their own space in an atmosphere that balances freedom and well being with good taste.

about3.jpg

about2.jpg

about1.jpg

Piola's cuisine is rigorously Italian: Simple and healthy. Piola's pizza is thin-crust and well cooked, but above all, Piola's pizza menu is very creative: the classic Italian pizzas are flanked by many other creations, all delicious and original.

But Piola is more, much more:

Piola opens its doors to culture, hosting film premieres, book and magazine events, art exhibitions and many other social and artistic activities.

Piola also becomes an editor and publisher: Piola's magazine embodies all that Piola brings to its international customers on a daily basis. Thirty-five thousand copies of a fourty eight page, full color, yearly magazine, written in Italy and translated in 4 languages.

does anyone else find it obnoxious how they write about themselves in the 3rd Person? Maybe they hired Jimmy to do their PR?

does anyone else find it obnoxious how they write about themselves in the 3rd Person? Maybe they hired Jimmy to do their PR?

Crunchtastic, who is herself rigorously Sicilian-American, remains most geniunely unimpressed.

.........Although, the names does lend itself to being mangled and pronounced as Pie-Hole-Uh, which is pretty funny.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...