Midtown Retail Development

ricco67

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody know if there is a tentative date out there for expansion?

"When it's completed, possibly in 2010, The Mix is expected to have more than 300,000 square feet of retail space"

http://www.chron.com...ff/5563952.html

And this about a new location opening up from innerlooped http://innerlooped.com/1040/new-restaurant-coming-to-the-mix-midtown/

Edited by DrLan34

• 1 year later...

I've lived in Midtown a long time, and it's finally starting to realize some of it's potential. I think, "Maybe I won't relocate after all, I can get the experience I want here." Then I remember that it's 100 degrees from June to September, and walking in even the best, most pedestrian friendly neighborhood is awful.

I've lived in Midtown a long time, and it's finally starting to realize some of it's potential. I think, "Maybe I won't relocate after all, I can get the experience I want here." Then I remember that it's 100 degrees from June to September, and walking in even the best, most pedestrian friendly neighborhood is awful.

How hot does it get in NYC and Chicago in the summer time? Is it humid there?

It gets uncomfortably warm at worst for both cities. Chicago at least has wind that can make it pleasant in the middle of summer. Both cities also cool down significantly at night too. 

Houston gets hot... like the feeling on your face after opening an oven that's been on for 3 hours. My best sense of comparison is when I go cycling. In Chicago I could manage a 40 mile ride mid-day in the summer. In Houston; I'll normally get heat stress after about 15 miles if I did a mid-day ride in open sunlight in August. (even with a camelback/waterbottle). Ive lived here for 4 years and my bodies ability to acclimate to the heat still hasn't caught up.  :( . I dont complain though--- The winters here are faaaantastic. I havent turned my heater on once this winter! :)

• Like 2

It gets uncomfortably warm at worst for both cities. Chicago at least has wind that can make it pleasant in the middle of summer. Both cities also cool down significantly at night too. 

Houston gets hot... like the feeling on your face after opening an oven that's been on for 3 hours. My best sense of comparison is when I go cycling. In Chicago I could manage a 40 mile ride mid-day in the summer. In Houston; I'll normally get heat stress after about 15 miles if I did a mid-day ride in open sunlight in August. (even with a camelback/waterbottle). Ive lived here for 4 years and my bodies ability to acclimate to the heat still hasn't caught up.  :( . I dont complain though--- The winters here are faaaantastic. I havent turned my heater on once this winter! :)

As a friend who relocated from the north east said, and I feel it can't be repeated enough...

you don't have to shovel the heat.

being able to wear flip flops 365 days a year is a plus as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to NYC in the summer, and it's miserable. Miserable in winter, as well. That's not where I'm planning to move :) Hint: I'm a scientist and software developer.

Edited by woolie

Good question. I have been really, really hot in those cities in the summertime, and I've also had to put on a jacket at night on occasion. So I decided to look up the data and compare. No doubt those places get their share of brutal days, but the intensity and duration of the summer are different. I'm posting the average High/Low that I found.(rounded up or down). Their June, August and September is more like our April and October. Their July is like our May. If it never got worse than May around here, I bet we'd see a lot more walking.

NYC

April 61/44

May 71/53

June 81/63

July 85/68

August 83/66

September 77/60

October 67/51

Houston

April 79/61

May 86/68

June 91/74

July 94/75

August 95/75

September 90/72

October 82/62

There's nothing worse than a hot and humid August in NYC.

First, the city stinks. Literally. The foul smells can become overwhelming.

Second, so many places still have no A.C. or bad A.C. Sitting next to a brick oven in an old building in SoHo with no ac when it's 85+ outside sucks. 

My old Boston townhome used to not have ac. It was a brick building and all it would take was 2 consecutive days of 80+ degrees for it to heat up like an oven. My thermostat hit 92 once.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Nice façade treatment, and good to see what appears to be GFR.

Is it city requirements that make the parking garages for these so big (same with the Mid Main office building), or is it that developers want extra parking for retail patrons, or do you just need that much parking for such a small building?

Edit: Looks like a nice little cluster of mid-rises are sprouting around HCC.

I would say that this 15-18 story building would count as a high rise.

Anything over 10 stories is a high rise, right?

Low rise: 1-4

Mid rise: 5-10

High rise: 11-100+

• Like 1

I would say that this 15-18 story building would count as a high rise.

Anything over 10 stories is a high rise, right?

Low rise: 1-4

Mid rise: 5-10

High rise: 11-100+

i think low rise is 1-3. mid rise gets a little tricky. ive always considered a 10 story a high-rise but it seems as though high-rises might start at 12 stories.

but yeah.. HCC, along with this proposal and the Mid Main office tower proposal, are all high-rises. wasnt there something else/a residential high rise or something rumored to be planned for the block south of the HCC garage? that area is definitely sprouting up.

I knew it!!

Me and my girlfriend went to Van Loc last night since we didn't know what their last day was. I kept telling her there's no way this place was closing due to poor business because I've been there so many times and it's been packed. I said they had to have sold to a developer who was going to turn it into apartments. Even though that part was wrong, glad to see a nice new development head our way.

Is this that same office building that is going up near that church and MATCH?

lol, no.. similar proportions. though this one takes up a full block, that one only takes up half. this one looks better IMO even though its bulkier. i like the 3 staggered set back type things in the side of the office part. do i even see some greenery on some of the setbacks or is that just stuff inside the building showing through? i hope they make use of the top of the parking garage..