Jump to content
ricco67

The Mix: Mixed-Use Project Planned for two blocks in Midtown (formerly 3001 Louisiana)

Recommended Posts

On 11/4/2014 at 10:46 PM, Urbannizer said:

 

Are we sure this is the same proposal? I don't remember there being a need to close a street.

 

Also - I believe there is 30 or 90 days of notice given for feedback by the community to protest a street closure. I am curious about this. I didn't think there was a need for office space in Midtown... I would love for Midtown to be a biotech or tech niche, however.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 11:54 AM, houstontexasjack said:

I received a call back from the City of Houston today.  The plan is for this to be a mixed-use development--the term used over the phone was "a little bit of everything."  Unfortunately, I got pretty sparse details.

 

Did you get when the city will review this request? More information regarding street abandonments usually pops up here: https://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/Mobile/Home.aspx

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh. Is it Rosalie that's closed off? I see this in the Midtown MMD minutes from last month but not really much more info:

 

"....Midtown developer George Levan appeared before the Committee to talk about a proposed new mixed-use development project that may involve closing a portion of Rosalie St. He stated that the majority of Committee members believed the proposed new mixed-use development project would be beneficial to the Midtown Community."

 

https://midtownhouston.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/MMD-Minutes-12.6.2017-signed.pdf bottom of page 3.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I did a little research on this project and called George Levan, after I did a search. I called the number on his bio and it was High Fashion, which he helped start. The person I spoke with besides being rude, was non committal and said that George didn't work there any more. I then called Crosspoint his development company that developed the Mix with the 24 fitness and other businesses. His  name is listed on the above minutes from Midtown about this development. So this is no longer Kevin Tofsky whose name is on the billboard with the image of the 16 story high rise. 

Bottom line is we are probably getting some kind of low rise retail development and not a mid to high rise for this block., something like his Mix development.

Unfortunate, because the 16 story building would have been an interesting add to Midtown. I was hoping that this would get built.

If I hear back from George, I'll let you know what his plans are.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Okay, I did a little research on this project and called George Levan, after I did a search. I called the number on his bio and it was High Fashion, which he helped start. The person I spoke with besides being rude, was non committal and said that George didn't work there any more. I then called Crosspoint his development company that developed the Mix with the 24 fitness and other businesses. His  name is listed on the above minutes from Midtown about this development. So this is no longer Kevin Tofsky whose name is on the billboard with the image of the 16 story high rise. 

Bottom line is we are probably getting some kind of low rise retail development and not a mid to high rise for this block., something like his Mix development.

Unfortunate, because the 16 story building would have been an interesting add to Midtown. I was hoping that this would get built.

If I hear back from George, I'll let you know what his plans are.

 

 

You didn't try going by his house and knocking on his door?

 

J/k, good work.

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That wasn't public information.  I was tired of speculation and just wanted the facts, so I thought I'd go to the source.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bobruss said:

Okay, I did a little research on this project and called George Levan, after I did a search. I called the number on his bio and it was High Fashion, which he helped start. The person I spoke with besides being rude, was non committal and said that George didn't work there any more. I then called Crosspoint his development company that developed the Mix with the 24 fitness and other businesses. His  name is listed on the above minutes from Midtown about this development. So this is no longer Kevin Tofsky whose name is on the billboard with the image of the 16 story high rise. 

Bottom line is we are probably getting some kind of low rise retail development and not a mid to high rise for this block., something like his Mix development.

Unfortunate, because the 16 story building would have been an interesting add to Midtown. I was hoping that this would get built.

If I hear back from George, I'll let you know what his plans are.

 

I know we all wanted more but a solid mixed use development like the MIX will tie some things together for the neighborhood. Hoping this starts ASAP. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree wholeheartedly that more retail should be delivered. I'm just disappointed that we didn't get our first high rise in Midtown on top of a lot of retail out of this. So are you in the food industry?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will not be a low rise retail development. Htxjack did say the person who called back from the city said it'll be "a little bit of everything" and it clearly states mixed-use in the MMD meeting minutes.

 

Edit: I remember Crosspoint Properties originally proposed The Mix as more than just a three story building. A high-rise and lots of retail was planned as well but was nixed-likely due to the 08 recession. Also of note, the Pearl mid-rises by The Morgan Group carry "the mix" moniker. 

 

08' Chron article:

 

http://m.chron.com/business/sarnoff/article/Midtown-revitalization-draws-retail-development-1610517.php

 

Quote

One of Midtown's largest landholders has revealed plans for a nearly five-block real estate development around the intersection of Elgin and Louisiana.

 

 The Mix high-rise:

 

2nbx2wz.jpg

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

I interpreted the article to mean that Sprouts, iPic, et al were tenants Ms. Starry previously represented, not necessarily those who would be included in the proposed development.

 

Edit: Don’t get me wrong, I’d be *thrilled* to see an iPic in Midtown. 

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.6db26485c21ab2387c7ab49a70d8f299.pngq8CqaDq.jpg&key=fc73e8dd068e243ef80cdeee

 

They couldn't come up with a newer picture of downtown from the south?  Based on the lack of One Park Place, this one's at least ten years old.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mollusk said:

 

They couldn't come up with a newer picture of downtown from the south?  Based on the lack of One Park Place, this one's at least ten years old.

 

The renderings are of the original proposal, which dates back to 2008.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As duly noted in your earlier post.

 

image.png.b0ddab739176306525918a18e7f61338.png

 

It's amazing a) how much older construction had been scraped off by then with nothing on the radar to replace it, and b) how much new construction has taken place in the last decade.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. Density begets density. 

 

Target’s not a particularly sexy retail tenant, but these types of stores are necessary to promote a fully walkable neighborhood. I remember treks on foot to an underground Bed, Bath, and Beyond across from the Lincoln Center in undergrad.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Interesting. Density begets density. 

 

Target’s not a particularly sexy retail tenant, but these types of stores are necessary to promote a fully walkable neighborhood. I remember treks on foot to an underground Bed, Bath, and Beyond across from the Lincoln Center in undergrad.

 

Actually, outside of Houston, Target has many many urban style stores. Glad to see we are finally getting one here. Last multi-story Target I visited was in Vienna, Virginia:

 

(not my picture)

Image result for target vienna va

 

Another interesting one is at Penn State also:

 

A far-off shot of the tall building with Target store on the bottom floor

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least a CityTarget would be great! This is greatly needed in Midtown. The nearest discount dept store is the Target or Walmart in the Heights. It’s a little annoying having to drive 2 miles away to get everyday needs. With the new Whole Foods in Midtown, I am hoping we start to see more of these “everyday” retail markets that are truely walkable, even if they aren’t considered “sexy”. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Triton said:

 

Actually, outside of Houston, Target has many many urban style stores. Glad to see we are finally getting one here. Last multi-story Target I visited was in Vienna, Virginia:

 

(not my picture)

Image result for target vienna va

 

Another interesting one is at Penn State also:

 

A far-off shot of the tall building with Target store on the bottom floor

 

I've actually been to that Target in Vienna! It would be amazing if we got a Target in Midtown that looked as spiffy as that one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ajgallion said:

At least a CityTarget would be great! This is greatly needed in Midtown. The nearest discount dept store is the Target or Walmart in the Heights. It’s a little annoying having to drive 2 miles away to get everyday needs. With the new Whole Foods in Midtown, I am hoping we start to see more of these “everyday” retail markets that are truely walkable, even if they aren’t considered “sexy”. 

 

I know it's more scary than the Walmart in the Heights. the one on Wayside might be a little farther, but it is much easier to get to.

 

I know the SO will be excited about Target opening a store in midtown. the Midtown Sears no one remembered was there was never really a great option for this kind of store.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This rendering looks very conceptual. If they actually had a lease with Target, I think it would be more prominently rendered. I think early renderings of 609 Main showed an Apple store on the ground floor. Let's not uncork the wine bottles yet.

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Triton said:

 

Actually, outside of Houston, Target has many many urban style stores. Glad to see we are finally getting one here. Last multi-story Target I visited was in Vienna, Virginia:

 

(not my picture)

Image result for target vienna va

 

I've been in that Target a few times already. Nice, but it's a pain to get up to the floor where it starts.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, toxtethogrady said:

 

 

Its a pain to go up an escalator? A stair that moves for you?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

This rendering looks very conceptual. If they actually had a lease with Target, I think it would be more prominently rendered. I think early renderings of 609 Main showed an Apple store on the ground floor. Let's not uncork the wine bottles yet.

 

 

i think the phrase "beginning phase of developing" implies they're still in the conceptual phase.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2019 at 3:32 PM, Luminare said:

 

Its a pain to go up an escalator? A stair that moves for you?

 

It actually is. You have to get your car into the building, then up to the fourth floor just to get to that stair that moves for you...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me these appear to be concrete stanchions for parking lot lighting. Hopefully only temporary.

MkTIRet.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hindesky said:

To me these appear to be concrete stanchions for parking lot lighting. Hopefully only temporary.

MkTIRet.jpg

 

I mean we saw the same thing happen with the Texas Tower. Sucks it has to be this way, but parking is a good quick flip on the property until you start something.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least this means it will be more presentable. This block def needs some serious TLC. When I worked at Adcetera across the street, I frequently saw workers coming in and out of the small building on the property clearing it out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, swtsig said:

this will be a fine looking development... i'm sure renders will make their way out soon enough.

 

Have you seen it?! Don't tease us haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm assuming the residential portion is going to be around 30-32 stories (if they're split among the 2 blocks, and going off drewery place square footage), while the office portion might be in the 25-30 story range? Also, that's a pretty sizeable amount of retail, so it might take up add a couple floors to the development. I don't know what I'm talking about, so this is just pure speculation. 

Anyway, Midtown just keep getting better, and better. Hope this comes to fruition, it would add so much more to the neighborhood. 

 

 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the Whole Foods effect. Wherever a Whole Foods lands becomes the new center of things.

 

I imagine there will be a residential Phase One and an office Phase Two a few years off.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between the “Long Term” notation, the developer being TBD and the architect being TBD, I’d guess this one is a looooooong way off, if it ever comes to fruition at all. . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

No Small Development.  830,000sqft! 

For some perspective, Chase Tower downtown is 2.2 million sqft at 75 floors.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...