ricco67

The Mix: Mixed-Use Project Planned for two blocks in Midtown (formerly 3001 Louisiana)

Perhaps I used the wrong word. Given the populuarity of Woodrows, Cyclone Anaya's, Pub Fiction, and the strip-center sports bar that advertises waitresses in stripperish referee outfits--you make a compelling case.

Don't forget about the entire block around the Continental Club (inc. backdoor, etc.). Those indie scenesters and other biker/rocker types definitely fit the mold of the frat boy/dockers crowd. :wacko:

Don't forget about the entire block around the Continental Club (inc. backdoor, etc.). Those indie scenesters and other biker/rocker types definitely fit the mold of the frat boy/dockers crowd. :wacko:

True, but that's not the case for most of Midtown and it's not new or recent construction.

Is Midtown hip? In my view it's more a resting point for frat boys and downtown corporate dwellers wearing their Dockers dress shirts *untucked* than it is for edgy hole-in-the-wall places or really adventurous joints. But you're right, at least there are some nice gems amongst the mundane suburban joints/pharmacies/banks/strip malls that in my view litter Midtown. And yes, I'd rather see vacant lots than more suburban joints in Midtown. At least vacant lots allow one to hope for something better.

I think it is hip. I mean I can go to a bar there and drink some beers with my friends after class. And no, I dont wear dockers but when I do, I DON'T "untuck" my shirt.

• Like 1

Is there ANY nightlife neighborhood in Houston that this board likes? It's definitely not Midtown or Washington. I guess everyone here hangs out in the Village.

since you mention it, there's a cool show going on at Mink Saturday nite. I'm not hip at all, but this is the only part of midtown I hang out in. Kinda related to roadrunner's query, but for me the club scene is irrelevant. I go to neighborhood bars with friends occasionally, and out for live music. Nightlife per se is not a destination. I've never gotten the impression there are many true scenesters on the haif.

True, but that's not the case for most of Midtown and it's not new or recent construction.

That's what is so awesome about it. Unlike other "club" scenes that are merely just fads... this part of Midtown has cemented itself as a fixture in the area and will probably be around for awhile (well after the Washington "scene" dies).

since you mention it, there's a cool show going on at Mink Saturday nite. I'm not hip at all, but this is the only part of midtown I hang out in. Kinda related to roadrunner's query, but for me the club scene is irrelevant. I go to neighborhood bars with friends occasionally, and out for live music. Nightlife per se is not a destination. I've never gotten the impression there are many true scenesters on the haif.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not much into the "indie music" of today, but I still enjoy these places. Anyways, Saturday night my band has a show on the NW side at the same time... so no go for me.

Is there ANY nightlife neighborhood in Houston that this board likes? It's definitely not Midtown or Washington. I guess everyone here hangs out in the Village.

LOL This board doesn't like ANYTHING.

LOL This board doesn't like ANYTHING.

I enjoy the Midtown scene, it's almost a fixture of nightlife here. On a side note, in listening to a local radio show this morning, they mentioned how Houston needs an "Entertainment District", similar to The Gaslamp District in San Diego, RiverCenter in San Antonio, and Chicago's Uptown Square, being the 4th largest city, it's suprising we don't have one persay. I was hopeful several years ago, it would be be Main St., wow, what happened? That scene is now dead IMO. Rant.

I enjoy the Midtown scene, it's almost a fixture of nightlife here. On a side note, in listening to a local radio show this morning, they mentioned how Houston needs an "Entertainment District", similar to The Gaslamp District in San Diego, RiverCenter in San Antonio, and Chicago's Uptown Square, being the 4th largest city, it's suprising we don't have one persay. I was hopeful several years ago, it would be be Main St., wow, what happened? That scene is now dead IMO. Rant.

Is the sushi restaurant dead? I haven't seen any activity lately.

If you're asking about the one at the Mix... they have been working on it every day. I drive by the place probably 4 times a day, and every time there are crews working in it.

Which one? You mean THE sushi restaurant?

• Like 1

If you're asking about the one at the Mix... they have been working on it every day. I drive by the place probably 4 times a day, and every time there are crews working in it.

Is it the same crew?

• Like 1

Is it the same crew?

Looks like different guys now. Initially they had one crew in w/ hard hats doing a lot of the main construction (building out the structure). Now there have been guys that look like they are working on more detailed work (the entrance seems to be getting attention right now). I don't know anything about construction, so I can' say what they are doing. The place still has a way to go.

Edited by brian0123

From what I can remember, it's going to be a Japanese restaurant, not just sushi. There are renderings on here somewhere, and again, from what I recall, it looked pretty fancy.

FYI, they have now put up metal beams for future walls in the rest of the Mix. There is also a bunch of construction materials laying around inside it (the non Japanese restaurant part). I also noticed some (what looked like blueprints) laying on a table along the back wall. This is how the Japanese restaurant looked before they began construction... so everyone cross your fingers that they start building out the rest!

Maybe I'm going crazy, but I just drove by one of the lots for the future Mix expansion (Elgin @ Louisiana) and did not see the old apartment building that used to be there. The fence that used to be up around the block is also gone. This is the block that the cool rendering (somewhere earlier in this thread) showed a bunch of other stores. Any chances that they are going to go forward with the next phase of development?

Maybe I'm going crazy, but I just drove by one of the lots for the future Mix expansion (Elgin @ Louisiana) and did not see the old apartment building that used to be there. The fence that used to be up around the block is also gone. This is the block that the cool rendering (somewhere earlier in this thread) showed a bunch of other stores. Any chances that they are going to go forward with the next phase of development?

I noticed that last night also - there was still a crane/back-hoe/whatever it's called on the site so it must have just been torn down

I noticed that last night also - there was still a crane/back-hoe/whatever it's called on the site so it must have just been torn down

Yeah, I drove by after work again and am amazed at how quickly they tore it all down. I drive past there every day and honestly can't remember seeing any crews. I have a feeling this is a sign of more good things to come (otherwise why tear down income producing apartments). BTW, I never realized how large that lot is.

Hopefully it actually ends up looking like this...:D

2nbx2wz.jpg

Edited by brian0123

Damn that was one ugly apartment building that used to be there.

I drove down Milam yesterday and I was impressed at how different the new apartment building across from Pho Saigon makes the area look (it's built right up to the street and replaced a decaying abandoned grocery store). That new apartment complex and the mix both make a huge visual impact on the area. Midtown has changed so much in the 3 years that I've been here. I hope whatever is built on this lot continues the trend.

Uh oh... I just drove by and there were guys about to put a sign on the one remaining building on the block that said something like "One entire city block available." Is Crosspoint seriously going to abandon this ?!?!?!:angry2:

Uh oh... I just drove by and there were guys about to put a sign on the one remaining building on the block that said something like "One entire city block available." Is Crosspoint seriously going to abandon this ?!?!?!:angry2:

i heard they were goign to put a blockbuster there. :ph34r::lol:

Edited by musicman

Well, it looks like the awesome rendering they made for this block was a lie!

I drove by again and they aren't selling the land... they are just leasing the one building on it with a sign saying you can lease the entire block. I guess they are hoping some restaurant (or a blockbuster:wacko:) will move in and they will have a huge parking lot for customers.

There is more construction activity occurring at another store front at the Mix. Looks like they have more tenants moving in!

There is more construction activity occurring at another store front at the Mix. Looks like they have more tenants moving in!

I just saw a sign saying that an Aveda store was moving into one of the smaller spaces.

P1000268.jpg Spotted this last night.

Pretty good work on the trees, I thought.

Edited by ricco67

I wish they would have used the normal white lights. To me the white lights look quite nice, those types of lights just feel like an eye sore and unnecessarily bright

I wish they would have used the normal white lights. To me the white lights look quite nice, those types of lights just feel like an eye sore and unnecessarily bright

Don't you think perhaps the plain old white lights look a tad tired and old-fashioned? At least where I live the bluish ones seem to have become much more popular.

Aren't most of the blue lights actually energy saving LED lights?

Probably. Most of the LED Xmas lights I have seen on the market are that bluish color. White LEDs are actually the most expensive LED's to produce. I am all about energy efficiency (selling energy effiecient products is my livelihood), but I sure do like the good old fashioned incandecent bulb when it comes to Xmas lights. It just looks right to me.

• Like 1

This thread hasn't been touched in awhile so I thought I'd report that there is finally something else going into the mix (no clue what it is). There have been construction crews working in the place (fairly large) next to the hair salon. Anyone have any info on what's coming?

This thread hasn't been touched in awhile so I thought I'd report that there is finally something else going into the mix (no clue what it is). There have been construction crews working in the place (fairly large) next to the hair salon. Anyone have any info on what's coming?

Big signs out front for a pizza place called Piola. Looks like they are global:

http://www.piola.it/mondo3.php?menu_number=3〈=en&countries_id=5

Looks like they answered my question. They just put up some "coming soon" signs for a pizza place called Piola http://www.piola.it/ Glad to see there will be more food options in the area.

In 1986, in the heart of Treviso, a new idea takes shape: the re-invention of the most quintessential Italian establishment: the Pizzeria, that idea is now a wonderful reality called Piola.

The success achieved in Italy by Piola has started to spread around the world: Piola's quality is now sought after by discriminating and trend-setting international clientele in the United States, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Turkey and coming soon Honduras.

At Piola, the most genuine Italian tradition of simple and delicious food combines cleverly with a particular service and ambiance for the demanding and modern customer, who chooses Piola aware of the fact that feeling comfortable is as important as eating well. People from all walks of life and backgrounds meet and gather at Piola, since they are sure to find their own space in an atmosphere that balances freedom and well being with good taste.

about3.jpg

about2.jpg

about1.jpg

Piola's cuisine is rigorously Italian: Simple and healthy. Piola's pizza is thin-crust and well cooked, but above all, Piola's pizza menu is very creative: the classic Italian pizzas are flanked by many other creations, all delicious and original.

But Piola is more, much more:

Piola opens its doors to culture, hosting film premieres, book and magazine events, art exhibitions and many other social and artistic activities.

Piola also becomes an editor and publisher: Piola's magazine embodies all that Piola brings to its international customers on a daily basis. Thirty-five thousand copies of a fourty eight page, full color, yearly magazine, written in Italy and translated in 4 languages.

does anyone else find it obnoxious how they write about themselves in the 3rd Person? Maybe they hired Jimmy to do their PR?

does anyone else find it obnoxious how they write about themselves in the 3rd Person? Maybe they hired Jimmy to do their PR?

Crunchtastic, who is herself rigorously Sicilian-American, remains most geniunely unimpressed.

.........Although, the names does lend itself to being mangled and pronounced as Pie-Hole-Uh, which is pretty funny.

• Like 1

I'll live with the 3rd person if the pizza is any good. It is way too hard to find good pizza in this town.

That pizza place.. New York Pizza I think... In post midtown is great!

Anybody know if there is a tentative date out there for expansion?

"When it's completed, possibly in 2010, The Mix is expected to have more than 300,000 square feet of retail space"

http://www.chron.com...ff/5563952.html

And this about a new location opening up from innerlooped http://innerlooped.com/1040/new-restaurant-coming-to-the-mix-midtown/

Edited by DrLan34

I wouldn't get too ahead of yourself.  The web site also lists plans for 2101 Milam.  I've seen the same concept drawing posted outside that building for about 5 years now.

That's the type of developments that should be going up in Midtown. Unfortunately I don't see it happening, it's to much like right.

I've lived in Midtown a long time, and it's finally starting to realize some of it's potential. I think, "Maybe I won't relocate after all, I can get the experience I want here." Then I remember that it's 100 degrees from June to September, and walking in even the best, most pedestrian friendly neighborhood is awful.

I've lived in Midtown a long time, and it's finally starting to realize some of it's potential. I think, "Maybe I won't relocate after all, I can get the experience I want here." Then I remember that it's 100 degrees from June to September, and walking in even the best, most pedestrian friendly neighborhood is awful.

How hot does it get in NYC and Chicago in the summer time? Is it humid there?

How hot does it get in NYC and Chicago in the summer time? Is it humid there?

It gets uncomfortably warm at worst for both cities. Chicago at least has wind that can make it pleasant in the middle of summer. Both cities also cool down significantly at night too. 

Houston gets hot... like the feeling on your face after opening an oven that's been on for 3 hours. My best sense of comparison is when I go cycling. In Chicago I could manage a 40 mile ride mid-day in the summer. In Houston; I'll normally get heat stress after about 15 miles if I did a mid-day ride in open sunlight in August. (even with a camelback/waterbottle). Ive lived here for 4 years and my bodies ability to acclimate to the heat still hasn't caught up.  :( . I dont complain though--- The winters here are faaaantastic. I havent turned my heater on once this winter! :)

• Like 2