ricco67

The Mix: Mixed-Use Project Planned for two blocks in Midtown (formerly 3001 Louisiana)

Personally, I'd rather mirror Manhatten or Brooklyn than Austin, but that's just me ;) As for the traffic coming off the spur, you're right. People haul through there, I know because I love to take the corner past Calais onto Smith at a somewhat high speed... sorry for the noise ;) Anyway, I've seen the city recently cracking down on this much as they did with the Dallas/Pierce exit off 45 South into Midtown. Their parking at the bottom of the hill and starting to hand out tickets, on both Louisiana and Smith now.

I always give the Calais wide birth when I come speeding down the spur. Cars pop out of there like crazy at times. One time I was flying down the spur at 75 and I spotted the cops. I thought they had me pegged until I saw some Rice burner fly by me at 85 or so. Oops. :)

The traffic downtown isn't that fast anymore because of the light synch thing. If you're on the north south, you're lucky to get it up to 40, if you're heading east or west, you'll do good to get it up to the speed limit.

I don't know what's going on at the site, but I swear there is more dirt piled up there than before. Haven't been able to see if there is any heavy equipment there or not, though.

I see backhoes and other equipment racing in and out of there in the morning, but I'm not sure where they're going or where they came from. They are coming from the east on Elgin.

While driving by today, I noticed that they had the sidewalks torn up in front of that tiny apartment complex on Elgin. I wonder if they are just improving the sidewalk on that section or they are starting construction. kinda' feel sorry for those residents if it is just for sidewalk improvements..:(

They're rehabbing the sidewalks for sure but there construction crews going in and out of the gated parking lot. The problem is that there's not enough going on inside the lot to really say if something meaningful is taking place.

They're rehabbing the sidewalks for sure but there construction crews going in and out of the gated parking lot. The problem is that there's not enough going on inside the lot to really say if something meaningful is taking place.

Yeah, as I recall they've replaced the sidewalks from 45/59/288 westward and putting in planters, etc.

The gate to the Mix is open every morning, but the equipment that they store there is out working somewhere else.

Here's what I got out of them.

When I told them I was not interested in leasing space but simply interested in the project because I lived nearby, here's what they told me.

Thanks for you interest. We are working on some very exciting uses and will

be publicly announcing them in a few months.

So its been a few months. Any word?

That is a small piece of land they've got there.

I was of the impression that the exisiting buildings are scheduled for demolition, and that The Mix will occupy the entire block.

If you'll notice, Crosspoint appears to own several consecutive blocks north of Elgin. They've got signs on many buildings, including that Legion Hall or whatever it was.

The same people who own High Fashion own Crosspoint properties, so if The Mix actually ever came to fruition, it could occupy all of the older High Fashion buildings Crosspointe owns North of Elgin. Their flagship store at Elgin and Milam seems to make the other High Fashion store across the street redundant.

The same people who own High Fashion own Crosspoint properties, so if The Mix actually ever came to fruition, it could occupy all of the older High Fashion buildings Crosspointe owns North of Elgin. Their flagship store at Elgin and Milam seems to make the other High Fashion store across the street redundant.

Not quite. The "flagship store" has fabrics, custom furniture, etc., for the home. The one-story store across the street has what is arguably the best selection of wearing apparel fabrics, trimmings, sewing notions, etc., in this part of Texas.

I find the new larger store something of a disappointment. When it first opened, it was touted as being comparable to New York's fabled ABC Carpet & Home. Unfortunately, it has never achieved that distinction.

Not quite. The "flagship store" has fabrics, custom furniture, etc., for the home. The one-story store across the street has what is arguably the best selection of wearing apparel fabrics, trimmings, sewing notions, etc., in this part of Texas.

I find the new larger store something of a disappointment. When it first opened, it was touted as being comparable to New York's fabled ABC Carpet & Home. Unfortunately, it has never achieved that distinction.

So are you saying the approx. 10000 square foot decrepit High Fashion Fabrics store at 3101 Louisiana, directly across from their 125,000 square foot building would prevent the owners/developers (High Fashion/Crosspointe) from including the lot as part of a multi-block Mix-use development? I don't think so.

I am still have a hard time believing The Mix signs are anything more than a marketing ploy, personally.

Edited by wernicke

If you'll notice, Crosspoint appears to own several consecutive blocks north of Elgin. They've got signs on many buildings, including that Legion Hall or whatever it was.

Is this the former Knights of Columbus building at 3535 Louisiana? Crosspoint has signs up regarding future development.

http://www.uli-houston.org/newsevents/news...s_YL_080529.htm

Please join us on Thursday, May 29th to hear a presentation about The Mix at Midtown with its developer, Mr. George Levan, Managing Director of Crosspoint Properties. Mr. Levan will discuss his firm's experience in developing dense, multilevel retail and renovating existing structures for adaptive reuse. Crosspoint's current project, The Mix at Midtown, will have the largest 24 Hour Fitness inside the Loop and contain over 300,000 square feet of upscale retail on five city blocks upon completion. We will hold our meeting on the fourth floor of High Fashion Home, another recent Crosspoint Properties project.

thanks for that. but do people that aren't involved in the real estate business attend these things? i saw the guest list and it seems like everyone works for a real estate company.

thanks for that. but do people that aren't involved in the real estate business attend these things? i saw the guest list and it seems like everyone works for a real estate company.

Maybe, but I don't think you have to be. It's just that those are usually the only ones interested, I'm guessing. I was thinkin about going.

http://www.uli-houston.org/newsevents/news...s_YL_080529.htm

Please join us on Thursday, May 29th to hear a presentation about The Mix at Midtown with its developer, Mr. George Levan, Managing Director of Crosspoint Properties. Mr. Levan will discuss his firm's experience in developing dense, multilevel retail and renovating existing structures for adaptive reuse. Crosspoint's current project, The Mix at Midtown, will have the largest 24 Hour Fitness inside the Loop and contain over 300,000 square feet of upscale retail on five city blocks upon completion. We will hold our meeting on the fourth floor of High Fashion Home, another recent Crosspoint Properties project.

Wow I guess this thing is serious. Very exciting for Midtown. The empty areas are being filled and that's fantastic.

anyone go to this meeting? any info?

Well, I happen to be driving by last night and I noticed that the concrete there is all broken up as far as the parking lot goes....is that new or has it been there in the past few weeks?

2nbx2wz.jpg

Thanx swtsig, nice find, but I think most will agree, we prefer embedded images rather than downloads. :D

post-3695-1217532900_thumb.jpg

:ph34r:

Wow - what? Looks like a residential high rise. And what is that all glass building on the right (where I guess the current High Fashion parking lot currently is)?

I wonder if they actually have anything in the works with Barnes and Noble. This would be absolutely huge for Midtown.

Wow - what? Looks like a residential high rise. And what is that all glass building on the right (where I guess the current High Fashion parking lot currently is)?

I wonder if they actually have anything in the works with Barnes and Noble. This would be absolutely huge for Midtown.

So much of it is just breath taking, there has to be a developer site somewhere on the net with more renderings.

2nbx2wz.jpg

Thanx swtsig, nice find, but I think most will agree, we prefer embedded images rather than downloads. :D

dude, i tried for like 10 mins. trying to get that damn pic to embed... apparently i'm computer retarded.

thanks.

and rr, i also noticed the large glass building to the right. i'll tell you this much, through this redering that intersection looks nothing like the houston i know.

dude, i tried for like 10 mins. trying to get that damn pic to embed... apparently i'm computer retarded.

Host it on a remote site, like tinypic, and then embed with the photo button. I don't use the HAIF photo storage.

Wow - what? Looks like a residential high rise. And what is that all glass building on the right (where I guess the current High Fashion parking lot currently is

I second the wow! Very impressive. And you are right RR, that building on the right is where the current High Fashion parking lot is.

thanks.

and rr, i also noticed the large glass building to the right. i'll tell you this much, through this redering that intersection looks nothing like the houston i know.

Do you have any more info on this? I still am under the skeptical impression that this is just a marketing tool for their new building across the street. It just looks a little too ambitious for Crosspoint. Plus, Crosspoint loves putting together renderings around Midtown, so I don't know how much value should really be put in this.

Edited by roadrunner

Do you have any more info on this? I still am under the skeptical impression that this is just a marketing tool for their new building across the street. It just looks a little too ambitious for Crosspoint. Plus, Crosspoint loves putting together renderings around Midtown, so I don't know how much we value should really be put in this.

not really, just stumled across this while searching for something else... simply says proposed, although it does have an occupancy date of Jan. 2010 but i wouldn't put much stock in that.

Edited by swtsig

Wow, that's astounding; I really like it. Notice the trees up on the terrace. I wonder if that will be where the pool is for the condos/apts.

Notice the people? Does that come with the project?

Edited by Trae

How come the bottom floor is still vacant? the 24 brings so many people to that shopping center. i would think it would fill up fast with retail. any word?

I've been wondering the same damn thing... hard to believe something hasn't gone in yet. Not sure what that means.

if it were that easy, there would be tenants. there's quite a bit of space in the area that is available already.

if it were that easy, there would be tenants. there's quite a bit of space in the area that is available already.

But not many places with the amount of high traffic volume that 24 Hour Fitness brings to the building...

But not many places with the amount of high traffic volume that 24 Hour Fitness brings to the building...

and a majority portion probably with bo upon exit. not sure i'd want to be sitting next to anyone in that state.

and a majority portion probably with bo upon exit. not sure i'd want to be sitting next to anyone in that state.

I work out there several times a week and have found it to be a civilized crowd; most shower before leaving... :P

Nice rendering. Looking forward to watching my gentrif... er.. develop to its best and highest use.

what ever happened to this? still sitting idle?

Eh. This is all I could find so far...

construction won't start until 2009 at the earliest.

http://swamplot.com/midtown-mix-fit-for-leasing/2008-02-25/

CrossPoint Properties has more developments though.

http://www.crosspointproperties.com/prop5.htm

Edited by UpuPUp!

Well, I noticed several weeks ago that the signs and coverings have been removed. So, I don't really know what to make of this.

Ive never seen this, but wow! If only this could have happened, this is really nice. What part of town would this have been in? Its perfect! Its on an actual street, development is also across the street, its just too perfect. Wish some how that it could happen.

ok, its in midtown, exactly what that area needs.

and I have seen this before on here, and I saw the sign in person.

Edited by citykid09

Well, a year later and they still haven't leased a single spot on the ground floor of the 24 Hour Fitness building (labeled with signage as "The Mix", even though it only has one tenant) ... so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say nothing will happen on the lot across the street for a very long time.

On a positive note, all of the slots in the Maple Leaf strip center are finally leased, and, just beyond that, Saint Danes is quite popular.

It's weird because at one point they acted like the lot across the street from the 24 Hour Fitness building was going to be called "The Mix" and now apparently the 24 Hour Fitness building is called "The Mix".

It's weird because at one point they acted like the lot across the street from the 24 Hour Fitness building was going to be called "The Mix" and now apparently the 24 Hour Fitness building is called "The Mix".

Hmmm...interesting. How did you deduce that?

Isn't there a sign on the current 24 Hour Fitness building that says "The Mix" and didn't there used to be a website and a sign across the street saying that empty lot was going to be "The Mix"? Or am I mistaken?

the owner was in charge of several buildings not just one. the amalgam was the mix as i understood.

Edited by musicman

Drove by earlier; there is a fence that is up across the street from the existing structure covered in banners/renderings/etc. Might be on hold due to the economy, but this doesn't look too far off, consider how many other properties they managed to get done lately.

Well, I noticed several weeks ago that the signs and coverings have been removed. So, I don't really know what to make of this.
Drove by earlier; there is a fence that is up across the street from the existing structure covered in banners/renderings/etc. Might be on hold due to the economy, but this doesn't look too far off, consider how many other properties they managed to get done lately.

:huh: So the renderings of The Mix are still up? Yes? No?

Edited by UpuPUp!