Midtown Retail Development

hokieone

I am obviously biased b/c I live at Calais, but I'm pretty excited about the area around the Louisiana at Elgin intersection. If The Mix really is larger than the CrossPoint development across the street then there should be some nice momentum for pedestrian-friendly development in this part of Midtown... with Calais, Brennans, Demians, Maple Leaf pub, High Fashion Homes plus the 2 new developments all in walking distance.

It is strange they got it going without any announcement/renderings...

Here's what I got out of them.

Yes this will be a newly constructed mixed-use building. Do you have an

interest in leasing space?

When I told them I was not interested in leasing space but simply interested in the project because I lived nearby, here's what they told me.

Thanks for you interest. We are working on some very exciting uses and will

be publicly announcing them in a few months.

Yeah, I totally should have.

loser. :)

seriously, though, my initial reaction would have been the same if I wasn't prepared for that response.

I just kinda' find it funny that we stumbled across this bit of info and yet we have all but ignored the original project. Doesn't the original project have an address? That way we can rename this thread and break off for "the mix".

Mods? :)

This is probably the only time I was a mod.

For the project going up already, the renderings on Swamplot show a "Book Connection" on the third floor of this building...which I guess would be on top of the 24 HR Fitness. I haven't heard any details of a bookstore, but that would be great if a large bookstore such as Barnes & Noble or Borders was included in this.

I'm not entirely sure if a bookstore would be do all that great in that area considering there is there are a couple of bookstores a couple of miles away. If there were more people living in the immediate area, then that would be a different story.

For the project going up already, the renderings on Swamplot show a "Book Connection" on the third floor of this building...which I guess would be on top of the 24 HR Fitness. I haven't heard any details of a bookstore, but that would be great if a large bookstore such as Barnes & Noble or Borders was included in this.

24hr is desparately needed in the downtown area, so that'll be a plus for the growing number of midtown residents, as well as the gym-hungry Montrosians (lol). As for a big bookstore, it will provide more competition for what's already in the works at HP, which is only a MetroRail ride away. Hopefully we can get a decent use of retail with these developments as it is in a prime location. A few more restaurants and specialty stores would be great.

24hr is desparately needed in the downtown area, so that'll be a plus for the growing number of midtown residents, as well as the gym-hungry Montrosians (lol). As for a big bookstore, it will provide more competition for what's already in the works at HP, which is only a MetroRail ride away. Hopefully we can get a decent use of retail with these developments as it is in a prime location. A few more restaurants and specialty stores would be great.

The promising thing is that that intersection (Westheimer/Elgin at Louisiana) is heating up with activity. It'd be nice if a little bit more residential was under construction maybe to the north and east.

The promising thing is that that intersection (Westheimer/Elgin at Louisiana) is heating up with activity. It'd be nice if a little bit more residential was under construction maybe to the north and east.

I am guessing the "Mix@Midtown" might include residential...

It is... look at everything surrounding the museum district... another lot was just dug up and cleared out down at Fannin and Southmore.... looks like it will be a decent sized residential complex. Not to mention the townhome infill that is now surrounding Main St.

It's too darn bad the freakin' Calais built that goofy "ground" floor parking garage. That sure was some forward thinking...

Maybe/maybe not. There probably wasn't enough business to support ground based retail and still probably isn't. However, it's great that there's more density being added to this area. Hopefully, the light rail is up for the task. I hear it's getting pretty crowded already.

Edited by dmoneybangbang

• 3 weeks later...

I walked by this a couple weeks ago but it was too dark to get a good picture....

Something like this needs to go up downtown. It probably wouldn't, because not enough people live there, but not enough people live there because there's no retail. Somebody needs to take the initiative. Something like this on the east side of DT would be awesome.

As it is, when (if?) this goes up it ought to attract some business from the people who do live downtown.

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask this question. My friend is planning to open up a High End boutique type athletic footware store. It will be franchised from a company in Paris France. He is looking for 2,000sqt and looking to open by June or July. Do you guys have any recommendation where the store should be located? He is aiming towards downtown pavilion but that wont open until October. He has already checked in the Gallaria area but he really like Midtown because there will be no competition.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Brawnz.

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask this question. My friend is planning to open up a High End boutique type athletic footware store. It will be franchised from a company in Paris France. He is looking for 2,000sqt and looking to open by June or July. Do you guys have any recommendation where the store should be located? He is aiming towards downtown pavilion but that wont open until October. He has already checked in the Gallaria area but he really like Midtown because there will be no competition.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Brawnz.

Well, The Tipping Point is already downtown on Main St., so trying to put it in the Pavilions probably isn't a good idea because of the competition. If there is any available retail space, he should look into the project going up right across from the one discussed in this thread. Not sure what they are calling it, but it's a Crosspoint Property.

Also, the West Avenue project would be a good idea as well. However, none of these will be open until months after June or July, so I am not really sure with that time period.

I'd have to agree with roadrunner. If his goal is to open up within the next couple of months, he will have a hard time doing it. I think his best bet is to look at the current developments that may be completed soon and go there.

Well, The Tipping Point is already downtown on Main St., so trying to put it in the Pavilions probably isn't a good idea because of the competition. If there is any available retail space, he should look into the project going up right across from the one discussed in this thread. Not sure what they are calling it, but it's a Crosspoint Property.

Also, the West Avenue project would be a good idea as well. However, none of these will be open until months after June or July, so I am not really sure with that time period.

Thanks for the response Roadrunner, you are right Tipping Point is pretty much the same genre his store is in.

I'd have to agree with roadrunner. If his goal is to open up within the next couple of months, he will have a hard time doing it. I think his best bet is to look at the current developments that may be completed soon and go there.

Do you know any current developments that will be completed during that time frame?

Why don't they build a retail center in the open space around the corner from this project from the HCC building, right there by the McGowen rail station?

$$$$

Apparently, a good number of developers are trying to wait the landowners out, since property values along the rail line are extremely expensive relative to other nearby areas.