ricco67

The Mix: Mixed-Use Project Planned for two blocks in Midtown (formerly 3001 Louisiana)

(Posts moved from Louisiana and Elgin thread) dbigtex56

suzerain said:
post-4-1196368893.jpg

Look at the space on the far right.

Well, I don't see anything at all....but here are a couple of pics of the site, I think.gallery_15_10_2313787.jpggallery_15_10_1200602.jpggallery_15_10_1942120.jpg

Here is a small project we've talked about across the street, but I couldn't find the thread.

gallery_15_10_184824.jpg

okay......I just took the same pics today!!! guess i wont post them b/c they look exactly the same as yours!!!

You know, after looking at the pictures listed on the website more closely (and paying attention), I have erred a bit.

The pictures of the empty lot is actually across the street from the project that is mentioned.

So what is being built on the empty lot? Currently the only thing it seems to be used for at the moment is for Damien's shuttle bus.

So what block is that with the sign "The Mix @ Midtown". It says 50,000 square feet available, that's twice as much as the project that is currently under construction. It also sounds like a good name for a mixed use project. I want to know more about this!

I emailed Crosspoint and they said yes, this is a new mixed use project, but that is all they had to say...

I emailed Crosspoint and they said yes, this is a new mixed use project, but that is all they had to say...

So I guess this "The Mix @ Midtown" is not one of the properties listed on their website?

Nope. It's at least twice as big as anything on their website too.

They said they would be announcing it in a few months. Interesting that it's already fenced off and it already has a big banner on the fence.

Nope. It's at least twice as big as anything on their website too.

They said they would be announcing it in a few months. Interesting that it's already fenced off and it already has a big banner on the fence.

Hmmm...yeah, I noticed the sudden onslaught of banners there as well. However, I swear the "Mix @ Midtown" banner I saw showed the building that's currently under construction - along with hundreds of people in the streets (we'll have to see about that, haha)

Anyway, at Crosspoint's website, the new building at Louisiana and Elgin is 23,400 sq ft on the first floor alone, so it would be close to 50,000 sq ft if you tack on the 24 hr fitness. If it said 50,000 sq ft "available", though, I would guess another building is indeed in the works?

I am obviously biased b/c I live at Calais, but I'm pretty excited about the area around the Louisiana at Elgin intersection. If The Mix really is larger than the CrossPoint development across the street then there should be some nice momentum for pedestrian-friendly development in this part of Midtown... with Calais, Brennans, Demians, Maple Leaf pub, High Fashion Homes plus the 2 new developments all in walking distance.

It is strange they got it going without any announcement/renderings...

Here's what I got out of them.

Yes this will be a newly constructed mixed-use building. Do you have an

interest in leasing space?

When I told them I was not interested in leasing space but simply interested in the project because I lived nearby, here's what they told me.

Thanks for you interest. We are working on some very exciting uses and will

be publicly announcing them in a few months.

Yeah, I totally should have.

loser. :)

seriously, though, my initial reaction would have been the same if I wasn't prepared for that response.

I just kinda' find it funny that we stumbled across this bit of info and yet we have all but ignored the original project. Doesn't the original project have an address? That way we can rename this thread and break off for "the mix".

Mods? :)

This is probably the only time I was a mod.

For the project going up already, the renderings on Swamplot show a "Book Connection" on the third floor of this building...which I guess would be on top of the 24 HR Fitness. I haven't heard any details of a bookstore, but that would be great if a large bookstore such as Barnes & Noble or Borders was included in this.

I'm not entirely sure if a bookstore would be do all that great in that area considering there is there are a couple of bookstores a couple of miles away. If there were more people living in the immediate area, then that would be a different story.

For the project going up already, the renderings on Swamplot show a "Book Connection" on the third floor of this building...which I guess would be on top of the 24 HR Fitness. I haven't heard any details of a bookstore, but that would be great if a large bookstore such as Barnes & Noble or Borders was included in this.

24hr is desparately needed in the downtown area, so that'll be a plus for the growing number of midtown residents, as well as the gym-hungry Montrosians (lol). As for a big bookstore, it will provide more competition for what's already in the works at HP, which is only a MetroRail ride away. Hopefully we can get a decent use of retail with these developments as it is in a prime location. A few more restaurants and specialty stores would be great.

24hr is desparately needed in the downtown area, so that'll be a plus for the growing number of midtown residents, as well as the gym-hungry Montrosians (lol). As for a big bookstore, it will provide more competition for what's already in the works at HP, which is only a MetroRail ride away. Hopefully we can get a decent use of retail with these developments as it is in a prime location. A few more restaurants and specialty stores would be great.

The promising thing is that that intersection (Westheimer/Elgin at Louisiana) is heating up with activity. It'd be nice if a little bit more residential was under construction maybe to the north and east.

The promising thing is that that intersection (Westheimer/Elgin at Louisiana) is heating up with activity. It'd be nice if a little bit more residential was under construction maybe to the north and east.

I am guessing the "Mix@Midtown" might include residential...

is it possible crosspoint properties staged this "Mix at Midtown" project so it makes the area look better. Therefore tentents are more willing to sign a lease at their current project (24hour fitness building). Seems like a good stradegy. Just seems kinda fishy since there are no renderings.

It is... look at everything surrounding the museum district... another lot was just dug up and cleared out down at Fannin and Southmore.... looks like it will be a decent sized residential complex. Not to mention the townhome infill that is now surrounding Main St.

It's too darn bad the freakin' Calais built that goofy "ground" floor parking garage. That sure was some forward thinking...

Maybe/maybe not. There probably wasn't enough business to support ground based retail and still probably isn't. However, it's great that there's more density being added to this area. Hopefully, the light rail is up for the task. I hear it's getting pretty crowded already.

Edited by dmoneybangbang

Is The Mix going to occupy the entire block? I notice that the little apartment complex (411 Elgin) is still occupied.

I walked by this a couple weeks ago but it was too dark to get a good picture....

Something like this needs to go up downtown. It probably wouldn't, because not enough people live there, but not enough people live there because there's no retail. Somebody needs to take the initiative. Something like this on the east side of DT would be awesome.

As it is, when (if?) this goes up it ought to attract some business from the people who do live downtown.

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask this question. My friend is planning to open up a High End boutique type athletic footware store. It will be franchised from a company in Paris France. He is looking for 2,000sqt and looking to open by June or July. Do you guys have any recommendation where the store should be located? He is aiming towards downtown pavilion but that wont open until October. He has already checked in the Gallaria area but he really like Midtown because there will be no competition.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Brawnz.

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask this question. My friend is planning to open up a High End boutique type athletic footware store. It will be franchised from a company in Paris France. He is looking for 2,000sqt and looking to open by June or July. Do you guys have any recommendation where the store should be located? He is aiming towards downtown pavilion but that wont open until October. He has already checked in the Gallaria area but he really like Midtown because there will be no competition.

Brawnz.

Well, The Tipping Point is already downtown on Main St., so trying to put it in the Pavilions probably isn't a good idea because of the competition. If there is any available retail space, he should look into the project going up right across from the one discussed in this thread. Not sure what they are calling it, but it's a Crosspoint Property.

Also, the West Avenue project would be a good idea as well. However, none of these will be open until months after June or July, so I am not really sure with that time period.

I'd have to agree with roadrunner. If his goal is to open up within the next couple of months, he will have a hard time doing it. I think his best bet is to look at the current developments that may be completed soon and go there.

The building under construction at Elgin and Louisiana is supposed to have a 24-Hour Fitness. That might be a good locale to sell athletic footware. I'm not sure when construction will wrap up.

Why don't they build a retail center in the open space around the corner from this project from the HCC building, right there by the McGowen rail station?

Well, The Tipping Point is already downtown on Main St., so trying to put it in the Pavilions probably isn't a good idea because of the competition. If there is any available retail space, he should look into the project going up right across from the one discussed in this thread. Not sure what they are calling it, but it's a Crosspoint Property.

Also, the West Avenue project would be a good idea as well. However, none of these will be open until months after June or July, so I am not really sure with that time period.

Thanks for the response Roadrunner, you are right Tipping Point is pretty much the same genre his store is in.

I'd have to agree with roadrunner. If his goal is to open up within the next couple of months, he will have a hard time doing it. I think his best bet is to look at the current developments that may be completed soon and go there.

Do you know any current developments that will be completed during that time frame?

Why don't they build a retail center in the open space around the corner from this project from the HCC building, right there by the McGowen rail station?

$$$$

Apparently, a good number of developers are trying to wait the landowners out, since property values along the rail line are extremely expensive relative to other nearby areas.

$$

Apparently, a good number of developers are trying to wait the landowners out, since property values along the rail line are extremely expensive relative to other nearby areas.

OK....and they might get it for cheaper when the University Line and the others open, bringing in loads of people from other parts of the city into Midtown?

OK....and they might get it for cheaper when the University Line and the others open, bringing in loads of people from other parts of the city into Midtown?

So, are you saying that the various lines will create an unwanted element in the area and, in turn, driving down land values?

So, are you saying that the various lines will create an unwanted element in the area and, in turn, driving down land values?

Actually I was thinking that would significantly raise values making it probably worthwhile for developers to pick up land along the Red Line like that before everything else gets built, bringing in even more potential retail customers. But apparently the developers are waiting for some price drop? Don't really see how. I suppose I was asking that in a rhetorical sense.

I'm all for expanding transit here....

Actually I was thinking that would significantly raise values making it probably worthwhile for developers to pick up land along the Red Line like that before everything else gets built, bringing in even more potential retail customers. But apparently the developers are waiting for some price drop? Don't really see how. I suppose I was asking that in a rhetorical sense.

I'm all for expanding transit here....

Okay, maybe I totally misread your statement there and the sugar high I'm on didn't make sound logical.

I'd agree, I would figure now they would try for a land grab and build it as soon as Metro starts turning some dirt. Doing construction along Richmond (or any other lines) would make it a nightmare.

Yea, I have often wondered how the areas surrounding the McGowen stop (huge open field South of the Cadilac dealership) and the Ensemble/HCC stop (3 blocks of surface lots) have not been developed... Just landowners willing to sit on their investment I guess. It seems crazy.

Maybe the proposed Camden development on Travis, South of Reef will kick-start the area around the McGowen stop.

Brawnz.

Depending on price have him check out the open shop space under the Post Apartments on Gray near Bagby. It used to be dry cleaners, but it has high end clothing shopping directly across the street and this area has lots of foot traffic.

David

Just in case no one else has posted it. I just got the following information from Crosspoint on the project:

"We will have several bike racks on the first

floor of the garage in a well lit area and encourage the neighborhood to use

them. 24hr Fitness should open in June and we should hopefully have some

restaurants come soon after.

Thanks again.

Matt"

Many thanks to Matt for providing the information, and special thanks to Crosspoint for having some secure bicycle parking for the local residents. Gotta do my small part for the environment here and there :) Now if more businesses would have motorcycle parking to encourage their use I'd be ecstatic!

Just in case no one else has posted it. I just got the following information from Crosspoint on the project:

"We will have several bike racks on the first

floor of the garage in a well lit area and encourage the neighborhood to use

them. 24hr Fitness should open in June and we should hopefully have some

restaurants come soon after.

Thanks again.

Matt"

Many thanks to Matt for providing the information, and special thanks to Crosspoint for having some secure bicycle parking for the local residents. Gotta do my small part for the environment here and there :) Now if more businesses would have motorcycle parking to encourage their use I'd be ecstatic!

I currently live in the apartment complex across the street and am enjoying the wonderful construction noise... One point that hasn't been brought up is the fact that the traffic coming off of Spur 527 (59) is generally 40-50 mph right past this building when the lights are green. Although that really isn't much slower than downtown traffic, I wonder how this new development is going to handle the potential traffic issues. The entrance to the garage looks to be on Elgin, but I can see people parking on the street. Pushing biking is great, hopefully midtown can mirror Austin one day

I currently live in the apartment complex across the street and am enjoying the wonderful construction noise... One point that hasn't been brought up is the fact that the traffic coming off of Spur 527 (59) is generally 40-50 mph right past this building when the lights are green. Although that really isn't much slower than downtown traffic, I wonder how this new development is going to handle the potential traffic issues. The entrance to the garage looks to be on Elgin, but I can see people parking on the street. Pushing biking is great, hopefully midtown can mirror Austin one day

Personally, I'd rather mirror Manhatten or Brooklyn than Austin, but that's just me ;) As for the traffic coming off the spur, you're right. People haul through there, I know because I love to take the corner past Calais onto Smith at a somewhat high speed... sorry for the noise ;) Anyway, I've seen the city recently cracking down on this much as they did with the Dallas/Pierce exit off 45 South into Midtown. Their parking at the bottom of the hill and starting to hand out tickets, on both Louisiana and Smith now.