Mixed-Use Building At 1740 Westheimer Rd.

Jax

What's up with the building at 1740 Westheimer? I remember when it was built maybe 5 years ago, and it has sat empty every since then. Is there any reason for this? It's right on Westheimer in the middle of Montrose on a block that probably gets the most foot traffic of all of Houston aside from Downtown. I don't see why retail couldn't be successful there. If the owner's rental price is too high, then don't you think he would have figured that out in 5 years? Does anybody know why it's still empty? 

post-3613-0-67853800-1359948752_thumb.jp

I remember that the building has retail on the first floor, offices on the second, and has a residence on the third. The guy who built it had to unload it to the current owner during the bottom of the market. I don't know what the current owner is asking in terms of rents, or if they are just holding it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's ugly.

I wouldn't want this to be the face of my business when there are so many better options in the near vicinity.

Well pretty much none of the businesses along this part of Westheimer are in architecturally beautiful buildings but they work. I don't see why something couldn't work in this building as well. It sure has been sitting vacant for a long time. The current owner is paying tax on it and not getting anything back so its very surprising it isn't being leased out even at a reduced rate.

They might not be architecturally stunning, but the structures around it are certainly more interesting (Empire Cafe, Antiques Emporium, Brasil, new development that's modern and houses the salon, etc...).

This thing stands out like a sore thumb and not in a good way. 

google maps registers a business in there "Geophysical Pursuit".

finding their website, and going to the 'contact' page shows that they do lease on the second floor.

so while there doesn't appear to be anything in the ground floor retail, they're definitely leasing space.

google maps registers a business in there "Geophysical Pursuit".

finding their website, and going to the 'contact' page shows that they do lease on the second floor.

so while there doesn't appear to be anything in the ground floor retail, they're definitely leasing space.

Hmm, sounds like a CIA or NSA building. They need all that vacant space around them as a buffer for their mind reading machines. Crap! I'm out of aluminum foil!

• The title was changed to What's Up With The Building At 1740 Westheimer Rd.
  • The title was changed to Mixed-Use Building At 1740 Westheimer Rd.

Archived