Muse At Museum District: Multifamily At 1301 Richmond Ave.

Looks like Alexan is building an apartment complex in the musuem district per the Hou Planning Commission. It's in keymap 493w which is more or less bounded by Richmond to the north, just east of spur 527 exit to the east, Bissonnet to the south and the Rothko Chapel area to the west. More or less the map below.

gallery_723_64_66471.jpg

gallery_723_64_35741.jpg

• Like 1

Richmond @ Graustark would be a likely site. If it were the Wheeler Transit Center site, I'd have expected an official announcement by now. The northwest corner of Richmond @ 527 is close to that size, but still a bit smaller. It might also be an assemblage of two full blocks east of Main or excess land held by a church along Main Street.

There are only so many possibilities.

Purva spoke with the development company and it's not "a final deal yet."

http://twitter.com/#...816122617970689

and Niche, they seemed to have run with your opinion on it's possible location haha per their map: http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2011/09/alexan-apartments-coming-to-museum-district/

Edited by lockmat

• 2 weeks later...

Richmond @ Graustark would be a likely site. If it were the Wheeler Transit Center site, I'd have expected an official announcement by now. The northwest corner of Richmond @ 527 is close to that size, but still a bit smaller. It might also be an assemblage of two full blocks east of Main or excess land held by a church along Main Street.

There are only so many possibilities.

I saw today that all of the "For Sale" signs have been removed from the properties along Richmond across the street from Lucky Burger (corner of Mandell toward Dunlavy). These signs have been up at least 3 years, and the properties have been poorly maintained. I do not know if there is enough land for apartments, but it would be good if the properties were fixed up or replaced.

• Like 1

77006 is not the Museum District's zip.

Well we already have the "Fairmont Museum District". Lots of places listed for sale in my area (77098) also claim "Museum District" as well. To be fair, at least you can easily walk to a museum (Menil)....but yeah, that's still a stretch

I saw today that all of the "For Sale" signs have been removed from the properties along Richmond across the street from Lucky Burger (corner of Mandell toward Dunlavy). These signs have been up at least 3 years, and the properties have been poorly maintained. I do not know if there is enough land for apartments, but it would be good if the properties were fixed up or replaced.

The Lucky Burger, Harp, Orange Bar and Maria Selma site has also been sold. They are all safe until 2014. I'll miss Lucky Burger.

http://swamplot.com/richmond-from-lucky-burger-to-the-harp-ready-for-something/2011-10-03/

Well we already have the "Fairmont Museum District". Lots of places listed for sale in my area (77098) also claim "Museum District" as well. To be fair, at least you can easily walk to a museum (Menil)....but yeah, that's still a stretch

It's the same as stretching the name "River Oaks" nearly to the Galleria - ooh la la.

It's the same as stretching the name "River Oaks" nearly to the Galleria - ooh la la.

Oy. Yeah, found out recently that the Crowne Plaza @ the southwest freeway is referred to as "Crowne Plaza at River Oaks." I almost stopped my reservation on principle alone.

The story I was told about the "M" (and the reason it has 3 sides), is that it is the border where all 3 meet "M"ontrose, "M"idtown, and "M"useum District.

It is a fanciful story, I'm sure, and it's probably an artists rendition of Sesame Street on the day that was brought to us by the letter "M".

The story I was told about the "M" (and the reason it has 3 sides), is that it is the border where all 3 meet "M"ontrose, "M"idtown, and "M"useum District.

It is a fanciful story, I'm sure, and it's probably an artists rendition of Sesame Street on the day that was brought to us by the letter "M".

I like that description too....!!

Rail coming for Richmond. I assume it's going to steal a few feet of those properties.

Yeah, but the engineering schematics have existed for some time. It's no secret how much of those properties will be taken and so there shouldn't be any built-in eminent domain risk in the purchaser's land pricing model.

• 9 months later...

Per Swamplot:

1301-richmond-apts.jpg

Tenants of the Andover Richmond Apartments at 1301 Richmond Ave. near Graustark got notice today that the complex has been sold to an entity connected to investment company Behringer Harvard... as earlier rumored to be on Trammell Crow’s Alexan radar.

My comment from swamplot:

I currently live in this apartment and completely love it due to the proximity to everything and the affordability. I knew this was happening when I asked a few weeks about upgrading to a 2br. They got all weird and vague with me when I inquired and continued to inquire up to all about 3 days ago. I received my notice on the door today. I started off 3 years ago with rents being 650/month for 1br now it’s 730/month.

I hope whoever knocks this down does try to keep some of the mature trees.

I'm currently renting another former Andover property which was recently sold. It is much smaller (about 20 units) and is not located on a major thoroughfare. The new owner (not Behringer Harvard) has assured the tenants he as no plans to demolish the apartments and build something else. I hope, not but would also not be surprised, if rents took a sizeable jump as leases are renewed. The complex is practically full right now. Though it is old it is well kept up, quiet, and superbly located. Andover has been a good landlord to me for the past few years.

I would guess the size of 1301 Richmond and its location make it very attractive for redevelopment though.

Aside: Does anyone know what is to become of the vacant land at the southwest corner of Richmond and Dunlavy (right across Richmond from the fire station)?

Yes, that's the site for an eventual second phase of Fairmont Museum District Apartments.

That makes sense. I wonder when that might begin. It would seem to have a leg up on other developments in the area since it is a second phase of an existing complex.

Edited by Specwriter

So I talked to apartment management this afternoon and the new management happened to be there. Here's what they told me:

Will be an Alexan apartment complex, with ~240 units, that is wrapped around a parking garage. They hope to have the residents out by November.

• 4 months later...

All of the structures on this property have now been demolished, and a construction fence is being erected around the perimeter.

There is a lot of other nearby activity ongoing - several condos are under construction on the adjacent Mt. Vernon; several apartment properties are also being demolished at the Yoakum-Richmond-Mt. Vernon block; and remodeling is ongoing at the long-neglected house/business at Richmond and Dunlavy.

• 1 month later...
Getting ready for development perhaps?

8420511417_b8efd48e48_b.jpg

IMAG0505 by dv1033, on Flickr

8421607556_6a79d5e9ce_b.jpg

IMAG0506 by dv1033, on Flickr

Another old apartment complex demoed alongside Richmond, Mt. Vernon, and Yoakum ... too bad rail won't be serving the apartments sprouting alongside the planned route. 

8421605966_fc930d6500_b.jpg

IMAG0510 by dv1033, on Flickr

8420512029_6495abe3ac_b.jpg

IMAG0511 by dv1033, on Flickr

Some new townhomes going up near these apartments

8420510313_201302e0d1_b.jpg

IMAG0508 by dv1033, on Flickr

8420510747_327f694bee_b.jpg

IMAG0507 by dv1033, on Flickr

Edited by kdog08
  • Like 2