Health Care

fwki

I wonder what the health insurance industry employees think about competing against the Walmart business model.  Their current model priced their product out of a viable range for US companies to offer heath care and compete. 

I wonder what all the Walmart employees who had their health insurance canceled last year think of this.

I'll tell you what this small businessman who was refused insurance coverage by the current insurance industry thinks. I am happy to have another option to look at for insurance coverage. I wonder, do you look at health insurance like you do retail, that we should all agree to pay more so that we can run Walmart out of business?

• Like 1

I'll tell you what this small businessman who was refused insurance coverage by the current insurance industry thinks. I am happy to have another option to look at for insurance coverage. I wonder, do you look at health insurance like you do retail, that we should all agree to pay more so that we can run Walmart out of business?

Outright refused?  I've never heard of anyone getting refused coverage....being quoted astronomical rates?  Yes - total refusal, that would be a first....unless you were looking for life insurance...then I get it.

Regular old health insurance should be nothing more than an actuarial chart,  pre-existing condition exclusions, and a check.

I buy the health insurance for my company and in doing so have dealt with every major carrier operating in Texas.... I feel that I've seen just about everything they can throw at you - but outright refusal would be the first Ive seen.

Outright refused?  I've never heard of anyone getting refused coverage....being quoted astronomical rates?  Yes - total refusal, that would be a first....unless you were looking for life insurance...then I get it.

Regular old health insurance should be nothing more than an actuarial chart,  pre-existing condition exclusions, and a check.

I buy the health insurance for my company and in doing so have dealt with every major carrier operating in Texas.... I feel that I've seen just about everything they can throw at you - but outright refusal would be the first Ive seen.

It wasn't an "outright refusal" as you describe it. However, because I have taken statins for cholesterol in the past, I was told I have a pre-existing condition and denied. Keep in mind that as many as 52 million Americans are claimed to have high cholesterol, and it is easily controlled with statins, but it was still enough for me to get kicked to the curb by a traditional health insurance company. So, now I am officially covered by Obamacare. And, yes, even though I am thankful for Obamacare (I am not patriotic enough to go without insurance), I would also welcome more choices than one. Of course, Wlamart's offerings might refuse me as well, so it may not be a choice at all, but we'll see.

It wasn't an "outright refusal" as you describe it. However, because I have taken statins for cholesterol in the past, I was told I have a pre-existing condition and denied. Keep in mind that as many as 52 million Americans are claimed to have high cholesterol, and it is easily controlled with statins, but it was still enough for me to get kicked to the curb by a traditional health insurance company. So, now I am officially covered by Obamacare. And, yes, even though I am thankful for Obamacare (I am not patriotic enough to go without insurance), I would also welcome more choices than one. Of course, Wlamart's offerings might refuse me as well, so it may not be a choice at all, but we'll see.

What is currently occurring in the health insurance industry in Texas right now is the insurers are excluding all pre-existing conditions without regard to the likelihood of a problem.  They are doing this to maximize income the last few years as the baseline numbers for full blown Obamacare are based on the last 3-5 years of Historical data...if they can show that they received xx% before the law, and now are getting XX-10% then they can petition to recoup that 10% saying its all b/c the government is forcing them to cover people who are obvious risks.

Its all a statistical game with them....its sick.  People who are supporting Obamacare don't realize all the BS and games being done in the background to manipulate the numbers that will become the baseline in 2014.  In 2014, there will be an option for you that can't exclude pre-existing conditions...the insruance industry is broken, but the logical fixes have been outright ignored in place of partisan bickering...like the Walmart.  Its one persons view of what is appropriate versus anothers. 

If you're really interested, you should try again.  The new healthcare law make denials based on pre-existing conditions illegal.  

That said, I am among the great uninsured masses, too.  My business doesn't make enough money to buy me insurance, and I don't make enough from my business to buy it myself.  Since I can't afford to buy the government insurance, I'll be among those who has to go to jail for not having enough money to pay the fine the government will put on my taxes.

Perhaps that's the next wave of economic stimulus -- A wave of building debtors prisons.

that's why I never go to the Dr. or get regular checkups.

No Dr. visits means I have no pre-existing conditions  :P

There's an enormous amount of truth to that statement. If your labs are outside of the AMA mafia's prescribed limits: for example your cholesterol is high for a first time--and your doc prescribes you meds--regardless of whether you fill the script, take the meds, or not, you officially have a pre-existing chronic condition. You may successfully lower your numbers without meds and be in otherwise perfect health, but you're history of the diagnosis never goes away. I know people who have been prescribed anti-depressants and have been been bumped to unfavorable rate classes based on that alone.   RX database records are used like any other records check. Factor in the financial underwriting that all carriers use, and pity the uninsured fool who bounced a check or ever made a late payment, takes xanax, lipitor, and saw a 'counselor' back in their 20s. Chances are you can't afford to buy private insurance.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

If you're really interested, you should try again. The new healthcare law make denials based on pre-existing conditions illegal.

That said, I am among the great uninsured masses, too. My business doesn't make enough money to buy me insurance, and I don't make enough from my business to buy it myself. Since I can't afford to buy the government insurance, I'll be among those who has to go to jail for not having enough money to pay the fine the government will put on my taxes.

Perhaps that's the next wave of economic stimulus -- A wave of building debtors prisons.

How about the subsidies are they helpful at all?