Sign in to follow this  
etheriemma

Crain Square

Some drive by pics of the site and the neighbors from a few minutes ago. Couldn't find the thread for the neighbors.

20720949048_47927e632f_c.jpg20150826_163940 by Not.Larry Dierker, on Flickr

20720947308_7c00d31325_c.jpg20150826_164002 by Not.Larry Dierker, on Flickr

20908905265_63837fc1d0_c.jpg20150826_163951 by Not.Larry Dierker, on Flickr

20287880043_4ffbdc8dd5_c.jpg20150826_164018 by Not.Larry Dierker, on Flickr

• Like 3

Once again not my kind of architecture, but just from the render they do seem nicely proportioned. I like the prominence of the front entry of these homes and their relation to public space within its own community. I don't really car for its complete rejection of the main thoroughfare though. Seems like a kind of a waste.

I do like how they are re-expressing the importance of the American porch and front patio and throwing the garage back behind the house in the alley where it belongs. With these kind of traditional/Vernacular housing I want to see what the materials would be like. I hope they reject hardy plank and will stick with actual wood.

• Like 2

Uhhh..  I hate to be the one to point it out, but there seems to be a massive water tower in the development.

I like how the renderings completely left that out. The second rendering showing the landscaped area with the flag poles must be facing right just enough to avoid the water tower. Thats going to be a nice backdrop..

• Like 2

The aerial rendering must have been taken from the water tower :P

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cloud713 said:

Uhhh..  I hate to be the one to point it out, but there seems to be a massive water tower in the development.

I like how the renderings completely left that out. The second rendering showing the landscaped area with the flag poles must be facing right just enough to avoid the water tower. Thats going to be a nice backdrop..

How long has that tower been there? Looks like it was photoshopped out of the HAR listing, haha. EDIT: and that water plant on the east side of the development is gone too. 

hr3724270-17.jpg?ts=2016-04-17T18:35:50. 
http://www.har.com/71-crain-square-blvd/sale_69670364

Edited by AREJAY
  • Like 4

The water tower has been there for quite a few years, believe it belongs to the city of Southside Place.  This is the site of the former Shell E&P  research lab, which opened when Bellaire Blvd was a dirt road in 1936.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Escout said:

The water tower has been there for quite a few years, believe it belongs to the city of Southside Place.  This is the site of the former Shell E&P  research lab, which opened when Bellaire Blvd was a dirt road in 1936.

Judging by the logo on the water tower, I'm guessing it belongs to the  city of  West University Place.

• Like 2

On May 3, 2016 at 9:56 AM, AREJAY said:

How long has that tower been there? Looks like it was photoshopped out of the HAR listing, haha. EDIT: and that water plant on the east side of the development is gone too. 

hr3724270-17.jpg?ts=2016-04-17T18:35:50. 
http://www.har.com/71-crain-square-blvd/sale_69670364

The back street is Gramercy and during the 70's and 80's we lived in our first home near the cul de sac. St. Vincents football field is just on the other side of poor man's ditch. The water tower  was there back then. One time they drained the tower and the water poured out and it reached the front of the lot. Southside police were out blocking the lane  all day. The rectangular shaped residence  just behind the tower on Gramercy was designed by Chris Robertson probably around 2008.

He has a new  interesting residence under construction just east of Mandell where  Milford and Banks split. That neighborhood has developed a collection of residences designed by well known architects in Houston. Arquitectonica is on the corner of Mandell and Milford. At the fork to the  right on Milford, is  Natalye Appell's post modern bungalow   and next door is the construction site for Chris's. A little farther down is a southwestern adobe by Michael Landrum and then several more on both sides of Milford.  Sorry I just don't know remember who did what. Another Arquitectonica townhouse cluster at the other end, followed by Bill Stern's residence.

Wayne Braun and Karen Lantz's residences are on the western end of Banks at the fork, closest to Mandell. Another early apartment project I believe by Howard Barnstone on the east end. If you haven't seen them its nice neighborhood to drive though 

• Like 4