Crain Square: Townhome Development In West University

etheriemma

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

crain-sq.jpgcrain-layout.jpg

A luxury residential developer is planning to replace the former Shell Oil Technology campus in the Southside Place neighborhood with a collection of 62 townhomes influenced by historic architecture found in Charleston, S.C., Savannah, Ga., the Georgetown neighborhood in Washington D.C. and Virginia’s Old Town Alexandria.

The new project, to be called Crain Square, will have a children’s playground and a dog park. The project will break ground this summer at 3737 Bellaire Blvd. after demolition on the Shell facility is completed.

The homes in the 5.5-acre development will start at around $1.2 million and feature brick paved walks and stoops, front porches and balconies with white columns, according to developer Röhe & Wright Builders, which develops custom homes and million-dollar townhome projects in the urban core. More than two acres will be dedicated to common green space, the company said The master plan involves a series of “attached single-family homes” with alley-loaded garages. All of the homes will face a portion of the greenspace. The homes will range from 2,600 square feet to 5,000 square feet in three-story designs. Operable shutters, bead board porch ceilings and gas lanterns will help represent the Southern architectural style.

More than a year ago, the Texas Historical Commission determined that the former Shell research building was eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places, meaning a developer could have qualified for federal tax credits to redevelop the property. The building served as a major research facility for Shell Oil until 2012. The west end of the Southside Place property was purchased by developer InTown Homes for a residential redevelopment.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2015/01/luxury-homes-to-replace-shell-oil-facility-on-bellaire/#29721101=1

"townhomes influenced by historic architecture found in Charleston, S.C., Savannah, Ga., the Georgetown neighborhood in Washington D.C. and Virginia’s Old Town Alexandria."

That makes so much sense in Texas....

...just watch how fast they sell!  prime acreage in very close knit the city of bellaire... great community schools... endearing and gorgeous southern architecture... $$$$$

...just watch how fast they sell!  prime acreage in very close knit the city of bellaire... great community schools... endearing and gorgeous southern architecture... $$$$$

I would have to agree with you hear. I think this southern architecture / vibe is what alot of Texans want. I for one, dont mind it at all! This is close to the city centers and far enough out to have a calm neighborhood feel. I see this being successful.

To clarify one of the comments above, this property is located in Southside Place.  For school zoning purposes, Mark Twain is the elementary school and Pershing is the Middle School.  Both are just a couple of blocks south on Auden, so within easy walking distance. The high school will be Lamar as the HISD zoning boundary between Lamar and Bellaire is Stella Link. 

Great neighborhood, wonderful access to everything south of 59 and inside the 610 Loop.  These should sell very quickly.  Love, love, love the design for this development. 

• 7 months later...

I'm sure this idea is a lot more palatable for the west u residents than the ashby highrise was.. but you can only build so many townhomes. I think the mid-rises at 59 are going to make their way down Kirby south of Bissonnet soon enough. There may even be a high-rise or two near Rice Village someday.

I'm sure this idea is a lot more palatable for the west u residents than the ashby highrise was.

The Ashby highrise would be a full mile from West U so I don't think West U residents care (and as a West U resident myself, I hope they build it).

I'm sure this idea is a lot more palatable for the west u residents than the ashby highrise was.. but you can only build so many townhomes. I think the mid-rises at 59 are going to make their way down Kirby south of Bissonnet soon enough. There may even be a high-rise or two near Rice Village someday.

There already is a high-rise in Rice Village on Robinhood. It's actually right across Kirby from WestU.

Some drive by pics of the site and the neighbors from a few minutes ago. Couldn't find the thread for the neighbors.

20720949048_47927e632f_c.jpg20150826_163940 by Not.Larry Dierker, on Flickr

20720947308_7c00d31325_c.jpg20150826_164002 by Not.Larry Dierker, on Flickr

20908905265_63837fc1d0_c.jpg20150826_163951 by Not.Larry Dierker, on Flickr

20287880043_4ffbdc8dd5_c.jpg20150826_164018 by Not.Larry Dierker, on Flickr

Once again not my kind of architecture, but just from the render they do seem nicely proportioned. I like the prominence of the front entry of these homes and their relation to public space within its own community. I don't really car for its complete rejection of the main thoroughfare though. Seems like a kind of a waste.

I do like how they are re-expressing the importance of the American porch and front patio and throwing the garage back behind the house in the alley where it belongs. With these kind of traditional/Vernacular housing I want to see what the materials would be like. I hope they reject hardy plank and will stick with actual wood.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Uhhh..  I hate to be the one to point it out, but there seems to be a massive water tower in the development.

I like how the renderings completely left that out. The second rendering showing the landscaped area with the flag poles must be facing right just enough to avoid the water tower. Thats going to be a nice backdrop..

15 minutes ago, cloud713 said:

Uhhh..  I hate to be the one to point it out, but there seems to be a massive water tower in the development.

I like how the renderings completely left that out. The second rendering showing the landscaped area with the flag poles must be facing right just enough to avoid the water tower. Thats going to be a nice backdrop..

How long has that tower been there? Looks like it was photoshopped out of the HAR listing, haha. EDIT: and that water plant on the east side of the development is gone too. 

hr3724270-17.jpg?ts=2016-04-17T18:35:50. 
http://www.har.com/71-crain-square-blvd/sale_69670364

The water tower has been there for quite a few years, believe it belongs to the city of Southside Place.  This is the site of the former Shell E&P  research lab, which opened when Bellaire Blvd was a dirt road in 1936.

1 hour ago, Escout said:

The water tower has been there for quite a few years, believe it belongs to the city of Southside Place.  This is the site of the former Shell E&P  research lab, which opened when Bellaire Blvd was a dirt road in 1936.

Judging by the logo on the water tower, I'm guessing it belongs to the  city of  West University Place.

Archived