Heights Tea Shop

Forget the tea shop. How about a bagel place. The Greater Heights area is a bagel wasteland. In fact, I think there is a bagel exclusion zone North of I-10. This insanity must stop!

Forget the tea shop. How about a bagel place. The Greater Heights area is a bagel wasteland. In fact, I think there is a bagel exclusion zone North of I-10. This insanity must stop!

My friend flushed a year of her life and untold thousands renovating Big Mamou to what it is now (from a school house) because she thought a teahouse was a good idea.  Unfortunately as you can tell from reading those yelp reviews, tea sippers have mental problems.  It started ok, but then she got crossways with the Heights Hen Mafia, and they trashed the place in every foodie review site around.  She did nice job setting up the Mamou folks though.

There's no reason tea and bagels can't get along. To be honest, I don't know where in town one can find a really good bagel.

New York Bagels. 9724 Hillcroft.

There's no reason tea and bagels can't get along. To be honest, I don't know where in town one can find a really good bagel.

New York Bagels. 9724 Hillcroft.

My friend flushed a year of her life and untold thousands renovating Big Mamou to what it is now (from a school house) because she thought a teahouse was a good idea.  Unfortunately as you can tell from reading those yelp reviews, tea sippers have mental problems.  It started ok, but then she got crossways with the Heights Hen Mafia, and they trashed the place in every foodie review site around.  She did nice job setting up the Mamou folks though.

Was that Coffee Caravan?  We LOVED that place.  Walked down there at least once a week, wonderful cakes, coffee, tea, even light lunch.  It was great.  I always thought it was the Studewood reconstruction that did them in.  That's a shame, tell your friend that they had a LOT of fans, regardless of what else they heard. 

There was a tea place on 19th for a while... it didn't make it despite having pretty good little sandwiches, good tea, and nice workers.

Ashland Tea House just off 19th was widely known around Houston.  In the 90's they moved, but now I think they are closed down. 

So it used to be a teahouse or a coffee shop?  Wonder why it didn't work out.  Antidote seems to be doing well.

It was a teahouse first and foremost.  I guess it was ahead of its time, and the customer base was smaller and a LOT different, quite cliquish back then.  You had your 11th St Cafe clique, your Shiloh clique, motor-head clique, King Biscuit, your HNLL clique and all of the sub-cliques in the art scene.  I think she got crossways with the WHCA clique and the lesbian clique.  She visits often, I'll have to catch up on the details....she will name names.

I seem to remember big mamou taking over a year to open though...???  (with signage indicating Big Mamou was coming)

Man, this topic got banished without so much as a link......They sure did, but the folks were rookie restaraunteurs, new to Houston and otherwise employed.  All these places seem to take a long time to open with the Houston process.  Before the tea house, it was a school/day care place, and the teahouse lady had to do a full repurposing renovation, permits and all. 

Archived